• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

need Ideas/suggestions for a new builder type map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
im looking for ideas for a builder type map for those who dont know what a builder type map is it is where you choose your race find some where to build your town/city. build your army and kill the other players with your mass army

im after ideas for races the current races i have are:
orc
troll
human
night elf
blood elf
undead
naga

yes they are normal wc3 races but they do not build and fight in the same ways

if you have a race idea i need things like there buildings what defence do they have when there town/city is being attack e.g naga workers can be used as units like the humans militia.

im after your suggestion for ways of getting gold should i have gold mine?
should players just build a building that gives them gold over time? or what? also trees do i replace them for somthing else?

im also going to need suggestions on the terrain because im not very good at terraining

i also need suggestions for how you start off. do the players pick there race and the builders for that race is in the center then they walk off to find there place or what?

i woulld really like any suggestions you can give me

Last edited:
Level 8
I think you mean MELEE map:)

Gold mines are more realistic

Everyone should start in one area and run to find a different area

The terrain should be open in my opinion, and allow the builders to build walls. (more realistic)

Hope this helped :D

If everyone should start in one area then they would attack each other too early (since he said that naga workers can become soldiers then some players will just pick naga then kill everybody's workers on the start, early and easy win)

i agree with the walls though:)

Races i suggest:
1. Dwarves:
a. Defense Advantage: they can build heavy-armored soldiers early called the Dwarven Thanes, or they can have superior gun powder based towers (they love guns anyways:)). an idea just like France's Grand cannon in RA2:) Another option is they research defence upgrades faster. last option is they Mine Gold faster. don't give them all these ideas though or they will be overpowered (pick just 1 or 2)

2. Draenei:
b. Defense Advantage: They have weaker and easy-to-build but a lot cheaper towers (magical damage but way less damage than most towers). Magic immune Buildings or Buildings that reduces nagic damage could be an option.

3. Gnomes:
c. Defense Advantage: High damage Long range towers that takes time to fire (due to technological advancement like a sniper tower, but this may sound more dwarvish, does it?). another would be a single heavy duty worker for trees and gold, instead of many workers running around, you can have a machine that harvests trees faster and carries more lumber (like the neutral goblin shredder) but it can also mine gold so you only need 2 of this unit:)

i have another race idea i invented that i also implement in my map, wanna promote it on other maps too if they would let me. tell me if your interested:)

happy to help:)

Level 19
Races:
1. Murlocs or Mur'guls
- These race are efficient at hiding. They are sleathly and can hide even underwater. They are quick and accurate. Their attacks rarely miss. But they have low attack power.

2. Trolls
- Are ranged units. Nearly all of them are ranged but only some are not. They are good at mass unit attacks and far attacks. Trolls rely on their terrain and sight. If they are in unusual terrain or have low eyesight. They have the tendancy to miss their attacks.

3. Dwarfs
- Are heavy seige units. They are the damage dealers of all the races. Dwarves are good at technology and can carry heavy weapons despite their size. They are not accurate since they are small.

4. Fel Orcs
- Are more savage, brutal, bloodthirsty versions of orcs. They have the tendancy to go berserk and kill as much. One of the strongest races. They have high attack but low hp and or mana.

MORE TO COME!

Level 14
Machines
I'd like to make a terminator-like builder map (for those who don't know, a builder is a genre of altered melee; most famous example I know of is the CastleBuilder maps by Funness). Machines vs. Living vs. Dead is basically the idea I have set up. I'll probably never get around to making it, so hopefully another will.

Terminators:
Various machine models, led by a machine using the Project Odin model. Would include mini-replecators made by the Hero. Was created by the goblins/alliance to deal with the undead. The AI went rougue, and started destroying the living to limit the UD numbers.

Living:
Consists of all the living races of WC in Azeroth. Consists of an alliance of unique races. In their attempt to beat back the Scourge, they created the Terminators. Led by current faction heroes.

Undead:
Consists of the Scourge, and it's mission to kill all life. Whatever it kills joins it's forces. The blight it spreads restores it's health while harming the living. (Gives UD units positive life regen over blight and the Living have negative over blight. Machines have no regen) The machines must be repaired and the living must be healed to regain HP. Led by the Lich King.

~Terminators focus on firepower and shear numbers.

~UD focus on shear numbers and converting the living.

~Living focus on magic, strong units, and strong defenses.

In regards to variations within the factions, they'd go like this:
-Terminators: 3 main subdivisions; Air, Ground, and Amphibious

-Living: 4 main subdivisions; Horde [with trolls/ogres rejoined], Alliance [with goblins], Sentinals [with 'nature' (ents and such)], and Naga [with amphibeous creeps].

-UD: 3 main subdivisions; Ground, Air, and Amphibious

Ideally the game would be heavily dependant on teamplay, and be accompanied by AI. It would have been on a max (256x256) size map on Icecrown/Northrend [since in my storyline the Scourge has been pushed back to it's homeland]. There would be no allying or unallying.

//\\oo//\\

Level 15
thanks for the race suggestions guyz

im looking for gamplay suggestions atm
things like how do the players gain gold
does each race have 3 tiers?
is there limit of units?
are there 2 types of resources(gold/lumber) or just the one (gold)
and stuff like that?

Level 8
thanks for the race suggestions guyz

im looking for gamplay suggestions atm
things like how do the players gain gold
does each race have 3 tiers?
is there limit of units?
are there 2 types of resources(gold/lumber) or just the one (gold)
and stuff like that?

Its better the old fashioned way, mining:)
3 tiers should do it.. too many tiers would make players not produce any lower tier units (in case of "techers" <--players who rush upgrades to build early high-tier armies)
i suggest limiting the food cap by 150..:)
i guess new resources wouldnt hurt, but how do you do that?

hope this helps:)

Level 29
there are so many ideas...

Stone elf
witch
lycan
vampire
mountain dwarf
shapeshifters
fairy
wizard

i also need suggestions for how you start off. do the players pick there race and the builders for that race is in the center then they walk off to find there place or what?

pick the race just like you pick a hero in an arena and start from the center...first player to build a town center will have a bonus of lets say 500 gold...

also, give race a 'UNIQUE' tech and unit just like Age of Empires...

Status
Not open for further replies.