• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Need Help] - Update caused MPQ and Editor problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 65
Using color to emphasize the Goal, Good, Bad, and Request for skim-readers.

Armed with the knowledge that the newest update to Warcraft III has been known to break modeling/editing tools, I decided to install two copies - one with the update - and one I can model/edit from.

Big mistakes were made that day :p
Around three hours later, I found that doing so from Battle.net is a surefire way to overwrite your original copy, who knew?

"Fine" I thought. I'll just inject the old MPQs so MdlVis and Magos' Model Editor will work again!
Nah.
Every time Warcraft 3's Battlenet gets an update, it removes my MPQs.

If that weren't enough, near as I can tell the World Editor no longer uses the data in the MPQs for it's map variables.
This means, I cannot use sharp slopes anymore - a massive problem for me and my project.

Have any new methods been developed to allow for sharp slopes again?

1-png.311262

Level 20
You think that's something, I've got three separate versions of War3-- one for current, one for 1.26, and one just for Magos/Mdlvis (they both are sitting JUST there and is just another copy of the 1.26 data), although I've never had it not just update the current installation.

Unfortunately I found out 1.26 screws with shadow maps....

Level 14
Have you made sure that your wc3 folder has a folder called UI which contains MiscData.txt? You can make cliffs using height tool only if you have this, so you might have forgotten to download it or copy it from the old copy of wc3

Attachments

• MiscData.txt
    9.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Level 65
[Possible Fix]

Now I'm not exactly sure how I solved the cliff problem, but here's what I did to get it working.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III
-Create Folder named UI
-Paste in MiscData.txt

-Open Regedit (Administrator Mode)
-Go to "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III"
-Right click inside the folder and hit Create > DWORD
Name: Allow Local Files
Value: 00000001

Now the world editor will have sharp slopes again!

Side note
With the release of 1.30.2.1113, the Frozen Throne in the background is 100% black and textureless, but I can see the particles still
Furthermore, the patch is deleting my injected MPQs (which were keeping MdlVis / Magos' Model Editor working) and did not restore the missing textures.

Attachments

• MiscData.txt
    6.9 KB · Views: 50

pyf

pyf

Level 32
-Open Regedit (Administrator Mode)
-Go to "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III"
-Right click inside the folder and hit Create > DWORD
Name: Allow Local Files
Value: 00000001
One may use instead the reg files from AllowLocalFiles.zip to enable / disable their use at will.
(please see the attachments at the end of the post)

Status
Not open for further replies.