• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

NaviHuntress(Ranger)v6.0.blp

So this is a female Na'vi skin, the blue people in James Cameron's Avatar.
It represents an archer hunter, clothed with pieces of tanned animal skins, decorated with the hunter's dye.

She is armed with a bow cut in the wood of a pandoran green tree.
The cord that bends the bow is made of liana.

The cape is made of attached leaves, for camouflage in the jungle.
They are slightly tainted with their clan's teamcolor. Some of them were bathed into it to show a line of clear TC.

Ears were shortened and given a wooden earring; all the material i didn't find useful was removed; everything was freehanded except the very small parts that i still don't know where they can be seen, and the arrow.

There is no CnP, no recolor.

Don't hesitate to point out all the bad things, i still need alot of advice for skinning :D .

Reference picture:
158794-albums3202-picture27511.jpg

Proper Importing (how to get the archer portrait to work)

Import the skin twice (because of a war3 glitch), then set the paths to these:

Textures\Ranger.blp
This path works for Archer model and Hipprogryph rider model AND portrait

Units\NightElf\Archer\Ranger.blp
This one debugs the portrait for Archer only. If you don't use this path, Archer portrait will stay the normal night elf chick.

Special thanks to Misha for finding this out.
EDIT:
Skin updated with GIMP, now with alot of shading and highlights and stuff.
Also changed the pattern of the boots, and added the bright dots on the face.

EDIT: 4.0
Remade the whole skin (except bow) with much thinner body stripes, better shading and highlights, more muscle reliefs, improved clothes, more details, and bioluminescent dots on all parts of the body. Removed the black lines between zones.

EDIT: 5.0
Totally remade the bow and the cape, added even more shading and highlights about everywhere, and other minor improvements.
06-07-2010: screenshot updated.

EDIT: 6.0
Totally remade the eyes from scratch. Improved their placement and transition to the nose.
Remade the TC leaves on the cape from pure alpha, for much better visibility.
Refined bioluminescence dots (no longer 1 pixel), removed some of them, aligned them better, shaded them consistently with the surrounding shadowing.
Refined shading & highlighting in details for eyes, nose, neck, stomach, arm, leg, middle cloth, shoulderpad, bow handle.

Keywords:
na'vi, navi, archer, avatar, neytiri, pandora, huntress, hunter, jungle, alien, sexy, native, a v a t a r, green, camouflage, leaves, bow, hidden
Contents

Na'vi Huntress (Texture)

Reviews
18:10, 4th Jun 2010 67chrome: The thick, black outlines around most of the details make this skin look incomplete and cartoonish, I'd strongly advise removing the outlines outright and use shading and highlights to create the distinction between...
Level 28
Would you consider making this skin for the "elite archer" models (Shandris, both Sylvanases, and Dark Ranger)?

I ask this because I was fooling around with the skin, seeing how it looks on a high elf archer (just fine, it turns out), but on the aforementioned elite archers, they look like unholy abortions from hell (try it, you'll see what I mean).

Level 12
Looks like the work is paying off ^^

WHOA GEEZ!!

Well, they certainly look more aggressive, the portrait has a very Neanderthalish look now.

(So, would you make a ranger version of the skin? For, say, a Ney'tiri unit?)

Someone told me the eye expression wasn't correct, so i made em look like real huntress eyes, aka the eyes of someone who's planning to kill stuff.

For other archers, i don't think that would be anytime soon, cuz i need an Avatar and a male Na'vi first, then i'll need at least clan leader and shaman.

Whoa! Great update. Definitely looks much better now. Just one more thing, could you move the pupils closer to the nose? Like they are on the ref pic.

Also, is there any chance you'll do a skin for the Hyporgriph as well, to be one of those bird dragon thingies?

I placed the pupils so that the details of the rest of the eye would stay visible, and because the way it wraps on the model makes them better there. on the ref pic, neytiri has a wider head, so it looks fine on her, but it wouldn't on the model, as far as i tried.

For hippogryph i don't know yet, since it would look much different from the skin i use ingame for ikrans and lance-using male Na'vi riders (67chrome's naga predator) and it would take me ages to make something remotely resembling that.. so i think i'll stick to Na'vis on foot for a while :p

Level 12
I'm making a clan leader, you know ^^

Yeah! at last we're gonna get the na'vi skins, nice :O ! Plus they're sorta funky enough to be used in other maps than avatar maps imo.
It is gonna save me alot of time that you make it, thanks for letting me know so we don't do the same skin twice lol, how retarded would that be x-)
I'm gonna encourage you all along lol, just tell if you could use some help.

Level 12
I hate to be like that (no actually I don't) but isn't the clothing a little too... much for a Navi?

Well i can't alpha out the shoulder, boots and gloves, like i did for the "pants", for example. Because they have volume, so if i alpha them out, it would look really weird with holes in the model.
Or is there a solution without modifying the model?

Level 6
Errr okay, but, when i use smooth, am i losing definition? Because Misha said it needs definition so i don't really know :/

i think either misha.. or someone else made a skinning tutorial..
just try and look at the shading parts of them maybe.
but in general its a wicked idea.. and if you can give it top definiton itll be a pro skin!

+ rep for the effort tho :)

Level 28
Well i can't alpha out the shoulder, boots and gloves, like i did for the "pants", for example. Because they have volume, so if i alpha them out, it would look really weird with holes in the model.
Or is there a solution without modifying the model?

Not really I just felt like beeing a little annoying back then. Good skin. I'm no skinner but I like it. :thumbs_up:

Level 12
i think either misha.. or someone else made a skinning tutorial..
just try and look at the shading parts of them maybe.
but in general its a wicked idea.. and if you can give it top definiton itll be a pro skin!

+ rep for the effort tho :)
Thanks :) and yea now i found out about having definition while keeping things smooth, with all these tutos and the advices from people.

Not really I just felt like beeing a little annoying back then. Good skin. I'm no skinner but I like it. :thumbs_up:

Lol 'kay thanks then x) and you make good models, so you don't need skinning anyways :p

Level 12
there is one thing.. that black line across the center of the thigh.. could you remove it..?

oh and.. i think the leaves there need a lill more definition, maybe thinner lines that are between the leaves?

Well it makes her look skinnier when wrapped on the model. Na'vi are supposed to be rather skinny, and it does its job :)

I'll refine the leaves, and some other things, later on.

It may not be a great skin but the improvements are remarkably enormous since it was first submitted. +rep for taking the time to improve your work.

Thanks ^^ that sure is encouraging to produce quality work.

O shi' the forehead is awful, you have to something with that fusing of those lines in the center of the forehead.
Nice idea, ftw na'vi

Okay i'll look into that. And i'll make more Na'vi skins too :)

Level 1
The skin is pretty nice now, my only suggestion is that you should turn the blue color into a more light blue color, to fit more :)

Level 13
Erhm, I resigned from skinning without even making my "first skin" so you are on your own for the shaman/wiseman.

Level 12
dj0z can you make pack of trees i need it for my next map

Sorry, i have no such plans anytime soon.

I completely agree with that. I think it is an excellent, nice, beautiful and awesome skin. I rate it 5/5. :):vw_unimpressed:
The coloring is beautiful, too. Did you make it with GIMP or Photoshop?:thumbs_up:

I used GIMP, as stated in the description :) thanks for the rating.