• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My upcoming RPG! Need some help and alot of ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
First off I'm sure I'll get bashed for this not being in the right place but this area seemed to fit best so if not...please move it.

I have started on an RPG a have been planning on building for awhile now.
I'm not set on a storyline...im not really worried about that right now.

Its a WoW/runescape/etc style RPG. Where you create a player and go through levels and travel the world etc...

What I need help with:
Im fairly good at terrain and triggering but I cant seem to figure out how to balance characters. Like...I want to make creeps up to level 50. But i dont really understand the combat system used and I'm unsure how much stronger/weaker they need to be.

Also i want this game to be played online. So i'll need a save system. I'm sure this is very complex and cant be answered easily here but if someone can point me in the right direction as to how to do this i would appreciate it.

I'm terrible at spells and once again... balancing characters...i want a class system but have no idea how to go about it...

Other than that...
I always need original town/character names and just random things to throw in the game.

I know it sounds like alot but I have quite a bit of experience with the editor...so it shouldnt be hard to explain to me. I really do know somewhat what i'm doing lol.

Thanks very much guys!!!

PS: I had an idea...theres a guild kinda thing in my game. Called Tribunal. The world has no king. The laws are laid out and enforced by this guild. more like a council. Instead of it being completely a computed system i had a thought. Its an idea from a game my cousin used to play...
What if a certain selection of people within this clan had the authority to create and enforce these laws. A forum would be required to discuss and vote upon the laws which i could then implement into the game. Or...they could just enforce them. sorta like the police in LoaP. Questions? Comments?

Level 5
Well, to most people.. they would just disregard this post because of the lack of effort they would see you have put into it. Not that I'm saying your not dedicated or anything like that but you have really far you still need to go. Anyways, I am making a RPG but I ran out of creativity and don't know what to advance in next. To get to the point I would like to join your crew :). I can make a save/load code system in your game and I know alot of cool tricks, I don't know how good at triggering you are but I could probobly aid you there too. Soo, really I think I could be an asset to you.. If you let me help, just promise me one thing, you will stick with it until we finish.

Level 17
When your asking for help, you may want to use different colors/images to show people what your problem is and to make it more appealing to the reader.
Other than that, I could help with a few nice spells if you want.

Level 1
Thank you for the input guys. And yes I am extremely dedicated. I understand what you mean but dont get me wrong...alot of thought has been put into this game. For years actually. Since warcraft 3 came out. But it has mainly been in the gameplay aspect of it. I know it doesnt seem very well put together but i assure you there has been thought put into it. I also was in a bit of a rush when I posted this so I had to cut to the point. lol.

I would really appreciate the help. Esp with the triggering and save codes.
As earlier stated I am shooting for a WoW style RPG...with my touch to it lol.
I'm not the best, and it may not be the best game ever released but with your help I'm pretty sure we could come up with something pretty freakin sweet.
And now you promise me one thing...you had better play it!!! lol.

Level 12
To help...

As someone who once went through a similar situation, I have some advice. Heed if you wish, if not I won't lose any sleep.

• Work on a storyline. Get a general understanding on what you wish to be incorporated. Once you have this, you'll find ideas are much easier to come across. Who's the protagonist(s)? Antagonist(s)? Setting, time, etc. Concepts of a story, you see?
  • Once you have a general, vague storyline set (Something like: The prince of the Gaeril Kingdom has to save Heeli, the Princess of the rival kingdom of Juuv, in order to stop an imminent invasion of an unknown enemy from across the sea.) Work on characters. Heroes, major enemies (Bosses, main bad guys).
  • After the major parts are done, begin thinking of the details for those major parts. What kind of personality does the protagonist have? Is he/she noble, kind, and understanding? Or perhaps somewhat twisted, dark, and misunderstood? ... What about the Antagonist? Are they pure evil? Are they just an enemy by name (Such as a rival kingdom), or are they actually just a facade for an even greater foe, or an unknown enemy?
  • Then work on places, such as towns, names of areas of note. Different factions of allies and enemies. Depending on how complex and complicated your story is, this can either be a very quick or very lengthy step.
  • Then work in what fillers you need to give your story depth. Side-Quests, Random events, parallel issues that are otherwise unrelated, but give the story depth.

I hope this can be of some use to help you come up with your own story. If you really wish, you could use the example given to you, but it doesn't seem like it really fits your kind of game design. Like when writing an essay, start big, and work your way smaller. Don't try and start with all the small things and work your way up to larger. That will cause discrepancies to occur, and would ruin the fluidity of the story, and kill immersion.

Names are actually very easy. Just put some random letters together that are pronounceable somehow. like "Hyuriag" That's pronounceable, although it's unintelligible without further explanation. For sample purposes, that would be pronounced by me as "YUR-iaag" And I got that by just randomly hitting letters. If your result is unpronounceable, just fiddle with it till you find something that works, and you'll be okay.

Good luck!

Level 12
Actually, McKill, I got distracted and forgot the rest of what I was going to put in that post, thanks.

More helpful tips:

• Make a post in the Idea Factory for your ideas. Many people who frequent the forum there are of great help.
  • If you're looking for any more sorts of help for your project, you should stop and figure out a general plot (Vaguely) and try to come up with a name for the game, first. Once you've done that, you can continue.
    • If you're looking for more hands to help with your project, or to put together a team, make a detailed post on the Project Recruitment forum. Make sure you explain there what your game is about, what makes it different, and if possible, some screenshots, and gameplay information.
    • Once you have a good grip on what you're doing (Detailed information about your storyline, and basically know most of the content that's going to be put into your game) you can then make a post in the Map Development forum to advertise your map even more. There you can post screenshots, give out progress information and get a general idea on what the community thinks of your project. You can even post alpha- or beta-testmaps there (On your first post) so people can test and review it for you.
  • If you need any other sort of specific help (With bugs, or triggers or such, something you can't figure out how to do, etc.) then make a post for that specific topic in this Help Zone. Ofc, if you have multiple issues at the same time, please do consolidate them into one post instead of making 3 different posts at the same time and flooding the forum. We can handle multiple questions in a post here, :)
Otherwise, I wish you good luck (again) and Happy Mapmaking!

Level 12
balancing comes after the game is mostly otherwise complete.

Just keep in mind the kind of damage your attacks and abilities do, relative to the amount of health of the enemies, and vice versa. That's a good place to get started. Make sure no one class has an overall advantage over another.

Level 1
I'm talking about characters. like...creeps. Balancing like... if i made a level 40 what do his combat stats need to be? How do i know if he is too strong or too weak? I'm not looking for specific answers...lke "40 attack and 60 defense" ...just point me in the right direction and i'll figure it out. Thanks!

Level 2
I am good at balancing games- I would just need some more information on the game.

For example, a hero should be able to fight roughly 6-8 creeps his level before stopping to heal in some manner. Test it in that way. Also, make sure that you don't stack groups of enemies with abilities that help each other too much- multiple stuns for example- or else people will hit a spot they will need to try again and again.

Another good thing is the fact that you can give the monsters fortified armor. In that way, so long as the hero has a Hero based attack, the hero will not do full damage to that creep. Give a monster 40 Fortified armor and it already resists most hero damage. Add spell immunity and you have one difficult mofo.

Level 29
I mean, when you kill creeps/enemy a random powerup/heal/mana or random item you may acquire...

even if the boss enemy is at level 50, you can catch/equalize his strength by acquiring items/powerups by the creeps you killed even if your just level 40...

in this way with items and/or abilities of your heroe, you dont need to worry about balancing coz the items will do it for you :)...

Level 12
That is the cheap way, mckill, xD

Arumen has a good example, around 5-10 (In his case 6-8) enemies your level and you will need to stop to heal in some fashion. Be it mana, health, arrows, what have you.

Level 12
It's a combination, actually. If it's anything like D2, anyway.

Need items AND levels.

Not one or the other, :)

Level 2
You can do it two ways;

You can balance the game mostly off powers, then supplement it with items (A.K.A, good abilities but weak items) or you can set it so once you get to a point you need good items and force the players to use better ones. DotA does that, whilst a good number of single player RPGs will let you play the first style.

Level 1
I like the combination setup. Like D2 and WoW. Where gear also plays a big factor...its not all about levels but levels do have a good factor aswell.

Level 12
Well i know in my campaign I plan to make both necessary.

In order to survive (without having to heal every battle) you need items. Equipment is only thing that gives armor. Everything else is basically up to the player.

Level 1
I recently discovered that I can double my map size by using Jass...is there any way to save my current progress and switch to that? I really dont want to have to start over from the beginning... but its not worth using a small map. Help please! Another question I had was how does everyone get around the unit/doodad limits??

Level 12
JNGP aka Jass NewGen Pack allows for a maximum of 480x480 map size as well as a way to break the unit, doodad, tile, etc. limits imposed by the regular world editor.

However, I've noticed that 480 sized maps tend to have some issues with gamecache saving. I'm not sure as to the cause, but I always had issues with 480 maps that once I switched to 256 maps, disappeared.

Ofc, unless you're doing a campaign, this doesn't matter, so go ahead and use 480 maps, :p

Level 1
That link is broken too... man this is hard to get ahold of.

I found and downloaded it...but it doesnt offer a 480 map size?? Everything else seems to work. Is there a trick to this?

Last edited:
Level 9
Might i suggest that you want to add something unique that is not in other RPG's. This is becuase 80% of RPG on the hive i find very boring becuase they are all practically the same just different models and systems. When you go to sleep, dream about new ideas and stuff.

Level 12
Well, go to the spell workshop and have them do it! I think they're probably bored. :)

Or check the tuts section. There's bound to be some there.

Level 2
Do you mean balancing character/heros with monsters like in Runescape?
Cause thats relativly easy. It usually depends on where your units are and how many there will be in one spot, but if you are the same level as a monster, you should be able to kill i without going below maybe 1/3 of your hp. So the Monsters Hp would be 500 at level 5 with an atttack of 20 per second. Your stats should be 1000 at level 5 with an attack of 40-50 dps.

Level 2
Now there could be the exeption of a monster you want to be stronger than you but at the same level. Then the monster should have maybe 1.5 times your default stats at the same level. But thats only when you can have gear to make you stronger, otherwise its kinda pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.