• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

My terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
You must idmit this is really good for my first saved terrain job. Comments? I'd really like to know what could be improved, and yes I LOVE DOODADS...lol

I got them to a JPG file so that they would be thumbnails but there not the greatest pictures....

Attachments

• Terrian sweetness.w3x
    132.2 KB · Views: 93
  • WC3ScrnShot_041207_200143_04.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_041207_200143_04.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 220
  • WC3ScrnShot_041207_200040_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_041207_200040_01.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 182
  • WC3ScrnShot_041207_200116_03.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_041207_200116_03.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 176
  • WC3ScrnShot_041407_210340_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_041407_210340_01.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Level 13
It looks alright from what I can see. Please post images in .jpg format in the future (it makes them much easier to view because it creates thumbnails). Also, when iristle said dont use blizzard cliffs hes exactly correct, they look horrible.

An alternative is to use the raise tool with the plateau tool to create your own cliff. (as you can see in the attached image)
Also, you can take pictures from the world editor by pressing the Print Screen key on your keyboard. (If you want really great looking pics go to View - Game View Settings) This will make your screenshots 10,000 times better. Also, you can set sky/fog in Scenario - Map preferences. Heres an example of what a simple terrain with these effects looks like. (took about 5 min)

Some more tips:
Doodads can be rotated using the / and * keys
Doodads can be sized with Page Up (vertical sizing) and Page Down (horizontal sizing)
Doodads can be sized also with the + and - keys.
Doodads can be raised/lowered using Ctrl+Page up/Down
Doodads can be nudged left/right/up/down with the numberpad keys 4,6,8 and 2

Attachments

• LoradonWinterExample.jpg
    LoradonWinterExample.jpg
    558.4 KB · Views: 152
  • Loradon Winter Example.w3x
    23.6 KB · Views: 87
Level 6
I dont have any good experience with the Numpad most of the time it looks better when you place them per hand, exceptly for walls or doodads that need symetric...
Maybe we should add a Basic Terraining Tricks thread.

Ahh yeah for the pics, use jpg my browser want to dl the pics^^

Level 7
Everyone is telling me to use jpg but I dont know how to do it...So how would I do it like that ? When even I save a screen shot it auto makes it a tga so what do I do? And to look at them (i dunno it doesnt let me see them) just click open and not save

Level 13
If you want to save something as .jpg you can start off by opening the file. Then go to File -> Save As...
A dialog box will appear prompting you to save the file. At the bottom of the dialog box (below the name of the file) is a small combo box (similar to a dropdown menu) that says .tga. Scroll down on that little combo box until you find .jpg or Jepeg. Select that and it will save the file as a .jpg image when you click save.

@Jirinal: Your absolutely right, it is always better to place them by hand. But sometimes the doodads stack up and the only way to move them is with the number pad (without messing with whats around them of course)

Edit: I just downloaded your map and had a thurough look over it.
Some Suggestions:
Place doodad 1 at a time and rotate them accordingly.
Play around with terrain heights and weather effects more
Dont over-use the same doodads too much
You can customize doodads and destructables to create some nice effects
Try to use doodads from a certain tileset on your map (you have a random tree covered in snow surrounded by whales and seaweed in a square of water)
Try to incorporate as much realism as you can in your work.
Take screenshots that show the best parts of your terrain and leave out parts that look less favorable (I took 2 screenies from your map - see attached)

Some good things about your map:
Originality of the dragon-titan attacking the city
The city has a simple, yet eye pleasing layout
the idea that there are only orcs in the city creates the effect that the city is under quarentine (or some sort of forced control)

We all started off about the same, nobody here started off terraining floating bridges and trees that lay sideways on slopes with units fighting ontop of them. In short, dont let my criticism get you down, its all for your benefit. Good luck and happy terraining :wink:

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    556.6 KB · Views: 132
Level 7
LOL are you sure were looking at the same game?! THOSE LOOK SO SWEET and how do you do that custom game settings view I tried and nothing happened... oh and dont worry about me I love knowing what I can improve so that in the future I can make my terrian even better. How do you make different weather??

Last edited:
Level 13
haha. Yea its the exact same map. The only thing i did was add in a sky and a rain effect the way I explained in my first post. (scenario->Map Preferences and options) The alternate way to activate game view settings is press v while the editor is open. If game view settings is on you can see it in the top right corner of the screen. Also, the camra angles that I took were from rotating the view by holding ctrl+rightclick and dragging the mouse.

Level 6
I could say they suck but thats not polite ;)

I just see some massed doodads without thoughs of placing, i see boring tiles that arnt mixed.
I see pink boxes with black squares, press V for your Pics :p
Or are they black with purple pink squares?

I dont see height variation, and i see blizzard cliffs.

The only thing i can say get some tutorials about terraining or try some things you see in other screens. Use them as inspiration...

Well iam out~

Level 7
I could say they suck but thats not polite ;)

I just see some massed doodads without thoughs of placing, i see boring tiles that arnt mixed.
I see pink boxes with black squares, press V for your Pics :p
Or are they black with purple pink squares?

I dont see height variation, and i see blizzard cliffs.

The only thing i can say get some tutorials about terraining or try some things you see in other screens. Use them as inspiration...

Well iam out~

Well I respect your opinion and I'm not mad you said that, I'm glad...Not everyone's going to like EVERYTHING you do and if they don't, ask them whats wrong. You improve. This is my first time and I'm just learning. So all feedback is good feedback

Level 7
You will update it right Da)Sniper?

I guess I could try..... Yea I definatly will update it. Just there might be some obvious changes to it. Why, because I have to make a whole new map and redo it. Heres a quick like 2 minute terrianing...couldnt make it look like its inside cause well...couldnt find any wall doodads lol..

Attachments

• Lightning gods throne.jpg
    Lightning gods throne.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Entrence.jpg
    Entrence.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 83
Level 13
Hm. Try searching under object editor. Open up object editor and press Ctrl+F (i believe) and a box should appear. Then type in "wall". It should bring up a few. I'd suggest changing some of the properties of the walls so you can make them higher/longer etc. To do that go under Max/min size of the object in the object editor. I think the terrain looks better, it just needs some walls like you said. Also, you might want to look at the Ultimate Terraining Map. It has many custom models including walls,floors,stairs etc.

Level 3
lol the snow troll is funny. You did good but the part said "Loradon Winter Example" and it supposed to say "Lordaeron Winter Example"

Level 7
Sorry

I might not be able to do much...I got my coump fixed so now theres no programs on it....so it might take me a little bit longer... sorry :emote_sad: this means I cant take screen shots cause I have no viewer this means everythings messed up :\ ... but someone could help.. if someone would give me there e-mail adress I could send you the pics and you can make them thumbnails and all that... I know your probably thinking I'm really lazy or something but I'm not...

Last edited:
Level 7
More..lol

I made some more but you can only see it in game form sense I don't have a picture viewer...I know this isn't needed but I forgot how to do it in triggers.

Story

The top part is just a quick view...

Bottom is the nightelf raiding the little human fort. The nightelfs burn there sun well, take over the little city, and make the humans there slaves. Whole point of map was the city but I liked how I did the fires so I made a completly different one. Yea I know the bottom one looks pretty gay but w/e I litterly did it in bout 5 mins.

The other map I put is my waterfall. I think it looks really good but thats just my point of view

Attachments

• Water Masterpiece.w3m
    28.4 KB · Views: 51
  • My new Terrian.w3x
    17.1 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Level 7
Makes it look a bit better. Colorful... I tried 2 swords but it alreadly had something in its hands and than you would have to use a skill so I didnt really bother with it.

One more thing. I am trying to make a RPG where the "beacon" doodad.

Last edited:
Level 13
Which beacon doodad? Are you talking possibly about the Circle of Power or the rune lantern?
Btw, you dont need to have a picture viewer program or anything special to take screenshots from the editor. Just press 'Print Screen' then open up a paint program (MS Paint will work) and press Ctrl+V to paste.
Also, if you wanna start terraining, you can look for the UTM (ultimate terraining map) :wink:
Hope this helps you out some :smile:

Level 7
Also, if you wanna start terraining, you can look for the UTM (ultimate terraining map)
Ok, I've tried to look at that and every time all I see is a whole map with nothing but water.......why is that?

'Print Screen' then open up a paint program (MS Paint will work) and press Ctrl+V to paste
My paint wont let me open with it and I can't copy a screen shot :\

Last edited:
Level 1
maybe use some ground variation (height) and some different doodads, i understand you love doodads but mix em up a bit dont have it too orderly, think of what it might look like in an orc world or whatever your making, not just perfect cubicles. Also some tile variation

Status
Not open for further replies.