• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My Terrain: Tuskarr Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
I made this terrain some time ago using some doodads from the Ultimate Terraining Map. It is called the Tuskarr Valley. A group of tuskarr exiled from their tribe in the Northerend made their new home in this peaceful valley. They set up their camps at the cold mountain peaks and near the ancient forests.

Attachments

• TV1.jpg
    TV1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 273
  • TV2.jpg
    TV2.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 306
  • TV3.jpg
    TV3.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 244
  • TV4.jpg
    TV4.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 249
  • TV6.jpg
    TV6.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 248
  • TV7.jpg
    TV7.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Level 7
Ehh.. Why is there a boat going down that river full of rocks? And I don't think the bridge in pic3 top right is too safe. Aside from that, nice atmosphere, I like it. xD

Level 6
These trees doesnt fit in the pics, the combination of both doesnt look good.
The Boat idea isnt good also, you should make the water deeper.

You should add more snow tiles and all in all more texture variations, the idea is nice but it does more like a work in process.

Level 34
The river should be deeper for sure, looks more like a puddle, and there should be more doodads, bushes and other such stuff. I like it though, the idea was cool.

Level 3
I agree, it needs more variation and more environmental doodads, plus having the two rope bridges coming together in mid-air like that looks a little goofy.

Level 34
I still think more doodads, but it's and improvement for sure! The water looks a lot better now! :thumbs_up:

Level 25
First one looks best IMO and I kinda like the last too.
You need to place alot more trees than that and you definately need to place a ton more environment doodads such as Shrubs, River Rushes, Rocks, etc. more.
What's driving me absolutely crazy though is the rock on the cliff! Touch it up a bit! In the second screenshot the rocks in tile come way too high onto where the grass and trees are (the top of the mountain/plateu). I usually make the rocky tile come to just where the plateu starts, then grass covers the top of the plateu. Fix this and I won't go bald from tearing my own hair out he he
~Craka_J

Level 8
Igloos too small. Habitats (huts, farms, buildings, igloos, yurts, etc - should look like the... people?... Or what ever species lives there can actually live there.

Boat. yeah you heard. Trees... I don't know. Not my first choice but hey not my map. I would, however, suggest killing a few trees close to their base use one tile of blight to "kill" it. You most likely will have to go back with other texture to fix the surrounding area - leaving only the single tile of blight(covered by a stone, dead weeds, log, whatever). Forests usually have some dead trees it is the cycle of life - along with that make a customized copy, shrink it down to make "seedlings". Might also want to vary the height of trees more making a more "realistic" natural feel.

Variety of tree would also help - throw in a few cityscape "tall" pine trees, and maybe a few northrend "winter" canopy trees.

Cattails, rushes, river/stream/water plants. Those usually grow along side a semi-deep water way - assume 1 the flow of water (usually down the middle) will take out plants. Assume 2 that the water is deeper at the center. When using the cattails you should also use the rushes (not the cattail looking rush, the grass like ones). Clump together making a kind of thickish grouping - cattails do not grow as individuals too far from the pack - they grow close together in nature.

General rule of thumb is that a gorge or step sided stream bank has a fast moving "cutting" stream - rocks and boulders in the middle ok, light or floating stuff not ok - unless "trapped" behind rocks or fallen logs. Plants in the middle not ok - it sends a mixed message on the stream flow feeling artificial since the mind will picture fast moving water with steep sides.

Is this late fall or early spring? I'm slightly confused. Your pines are dark - telling me its fall, yet you have a lot of spring flowers, green shrubbery and what not.

If late fall use more brown plants. You can customize shrubs and get yellowish brownish tints - you can also mix wheat with the brown rushes - all of it looks dead, dry and that the little bit of snow is the first snow of the season.

If it is spring then use greens - you can customize rushes and get wonderful shades of green. Lighten up the pines giving the color hint that spring has sprung and that things are coming back to life. Using those your map gets the feel that this is early spring or a late snow in spring.

Lily pads should not be used in either case. Lilly pads are late spring to early fall growth, growing brownish black near winter, breaking off and sinking. And do not "feel right" considering the feeling of fast moving water due to the steepness of the stream/river banks.

Level 25
Realistic, yes. With Warcraft III tiles, not so much.
Best to go with what looks best IMO, but keep it as real as possible. It's nothing major to bend the reality of the Terrain to a fiction point. Hell, that's what the Editor is for!
~Craka_J

Status
Not open for further replies.