• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My RPG-AOS genre combination idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I started on a project, that combines the two genres. RPG and AOS. A basic overview is two kingdoms are going to go to war.

I'm using the largest size map, and two kingdoms on each corner. There is basically a natural border of tall mountains, so the main way to infiltrate the kingdom is the war zone, but inside the mountain region is a neutral city, where you can do a quest that grants access to a small passage way behind the mountain and pretty much "backdoor" the kingdom. Or you could just go all out in war and push that way. There will be areas with creeps to do main leveling up, and quests to gain many different weapons and armor. Anyone is able to visit the neutral city, but you may run into an enemy while down there!

Basically the very start, the kingdoms are at peace, and you level up a bit with your team, or do quests. Certain amount of time into the game(pending the actual amount) the war breaks through, and you can keep creeping, questing, or fight in the war.

I've made a successful map already so I feel I can do this project, also I will be working with a friend also. I think the combination of RPG and AOS seems real fun, and quite a challenge for me to design, but I would like feedback on this "concept"

Sounds like a good kind of merge to me :)

But a thing, be sure to make it balanced so even though you prefer running around doing quests instead of being in direct battle all the time you still can gain just as much/little xp as if you were one of those in direct battle, else no one would run around doing quests!

Well, good luck with the map :)

Level 3
A lot of players might be turned off by the largest map size.
1) Size of file
2) Transit Time

you might want to step it down one size, or.. if not, make sure to address transit time, say by providing airlift (WoW style, almost) from one area to an outpost in another area.

I've actually been thinking of creating a similar map using the idea of side quests during AoS style maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.