• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My map too big ?? Footmen vs Grunts FOREVER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I have almost completed my new map Footmen vs Grunts FOREVER
I got on battlenet to test it with a buddy and it gave me an error when I tried to host it "This map is too big please select another map"
The file size is 9.43 MB - is that what they are talking about ?
What size does it have to be under ?

Level 4
How could you possibly manage to make a map larger than 8mb?
I'm guessing you're using a super-long uncompressed music track, or less likely, a massive spam of high-poly models.

Try compressing your music, or use another shorter - looping - track, or whatever, a map larger than 8mb is just insane.

I have a bunch of very nice looking models - Guess I have to cut a few out :(

Level 4
How many?
I have had maps with over 100 imported objects, and to be honest - i have never managed to create a map which exceeds the 8mb limit.

Ya, I have a couple models that are 2 MB by themselves. They are rips that aren't allowed to be talked about here ;)
Anyways I removed one model and im now under the cap - Thanks guys ;)

Level 11
Look at the attachment

Attachments

• aw.JPG
    aw.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 702
Level 19
Lets hope Blizzard releases a new patch which increases map size soon, or your epic map will have to wait for it to fully release.

I don't think that is going to happen, considering the SC2 map limit is 10mb.
8mb is fine, as long as you stick with models that have a realistic polycount.

I'm guessing it is your texture that has very high resolution, try converting it to .bmp with wc3Viewer (available in the tools section), open it in paint, click "change size" button and ckeck "pixels" instead of "percentage". Reduce the size to 256x256, or at least 512x512. I'm guessing your textures currently have a resolution of 1024x1024.

Whenever you're done, save the texture and convert it back to .blp with the converter. Your texture should now be half the filesize or less.

Level 19
But is there some way to use NewGen to make the size bigger? Like, how does Blizzard do it, I'm curious to know... :eek:

Uhm.. you mean the map dimensions?
Yes, you can use NewGen to make maps 420x420 instead of just 256x256, but that is not the physical size, but the.. uhm.. "gepgraphical" size. lol. You just go map options>map size and camera bounds, and then you increase it.
You can also select up to 16 tiles, but then you have to go to UMSWE>Edit Tiles (or maybe it was grimoire..). Then you select the ones you want, save, and restart.

Status
Not open for further replies.