• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

My Map: SimPerson

Status
Not open for further replies.
SimPerson

SimPerson
Contents
1 - Map Summary
1a - Idea
1b - Jobs
1c - Attributes

2 - Map Progress
2a - Trigger Progress
2b - Mapping Progress

3 - Screenshots

4 - Credit

5 - Updates

SimPerson

Map Summary

1a - The Idea

I am currently working on a map that is based on LoaP. My thoughts were that you could have a system where you can develop a unique character with different attributes to Strength, Agility and Intelligence. Also, the Houses in LoaP were pretty useless so i thought it would be better if you could customize them with different objects, which give you special skills for having them.

1b - Jobs

These are the Jobs that I currently wish to add to the map.
Red means Not Done.
Yellow means I'm working on It.
Green means It's been successfully finished and is working.

- Gardener
- Teacher
- Postman
- Salesman
- Park Caretaker
- Dog Catcher
- Police Boss
- Mafia Boss
- Doctor
- Bank Manager

1c - Attributes

The Idea of making your character unique is a good one. With custom "Attributes" like Wisdom or Charisma, it would be possible to do this. Attributes could be a way to make the game more dynamic, for example, you could talk to NPCs and they would respond to you in different ways according to certain attributes.

Map Progress

2a - Trigger Progress

Jobs - llllllllll
Housing System - llllllllll
Attribute System - llllllllll

2b - Map Progress

Doodads/Destructibles - llllllllll
City Base - llllllllll Finished!
Units - llllllllll

Screenshots

Sorry about not posting screenies, i deleted the links when i updated for some reason and i had to upload again =/ .

Credit
Thanks to everyone who has given me some ideas and even commented here.

Updates

08/7/07 : Finished Salesman job, added attributes, will have a Save/Load system.
12/7/07 : Finished a LOT of jobs. Balanced some things. Still need to add the items. Added vehicles.
04/1/08 : My computer stopped working in the winter and i lost my whole map. I'm going to have to remake it. For now, It'll take ages

Last edited:
Level 6
> Buying houses
Alot of if/then/else functions triggered when an ability (buy home) is used. Woopido.

> Selling houses
Pick all items in (house) and do
If then else
If Picked item is equal to bad chair
Than Set HouesValue = HouseValue+ChairValue
Else

> Picking gender
Oh fancy, a single boolean. Wow. Just wow.
> Re-pick gender
Sex changes?
> House Open/Close
Once again, fairly simple.

Good name though, most people would simply call it 'The Sims!' or 'Dota Jobs!'

Btw, look for some jobs in your newspaper, and try to add them into your game. It might be alot of work, but it would be interesting to play a game like this that has a ton of jobs, just not a few different types of jobs with several levels in them.

There should be random events associated with the job (I have never played loap, so I have no clue if any of this is in it)

Try to add as many features that let the player customize. It's quiet easy to let players create their own houses. Simply let them create the rooms. A simple way to do this is:
Let the player pick 2 points for the room.
Code:
x

x

Is an example, where x = a point the player chose (order doesn't matter)
Set X = distance between both of the points
If angel between points is equal to (you need to get it to reconize the 4 directions now. Pretty much you're looking for the long side of the room)
Loop (number of times it's required, you need to do an equation to determine how many wall blocks you need)
For each loop set L = position of last created doodad offset by 10 towards (direction for longest way)

Hopefully you should fill in the rest. It's pretty easy. You can make it so it detects where to put a door (probably a bitch to do though) you can let the player put the door in him/herself.

Level 21
Alot of if/then/else functions triggered when an ability (buy home) is used. Woopido.

Pick all items in (house) and do
If then else
If Picked item is equal to bad chair
Than Set HouesValue = HouseValue+ChairValue
Else

Oh fancy, a single boolean. Wow. Just wow.

Sex changes?

Once again, fairly simple.

Good name though, most people would simply call it 'The Sims!' or 'Dota Jobs!'

no offense (I 'wtfed' too when I saw the sex change), but since when did simplicity become a bad thing? I mean do you want every trigger to be a 1000 lines long or what??

Before I'm the cause of going offtopic, I wonder what you mean with "no access to waterfall"... I mean I understand the sentence, but I don't get the link with cafe...

Level 6
Why not allow the player to choose the character's height? Color of skin? Clothing?
You can probably get around 6 models for around 100kb each, each one being a slightly taller size than the last one. Changing color of skin is simply changing dulling the colors down. Clothes are different skins probably around 20kb each if you do it right.

I fail to see the use in changing the sex of your charecter. The locked door can be made better by requiring a key, and people being able to pick-lock it. The doors are likely pre-set, no choice for the player to choose where they are.

Why not allow the player to choose the character's height? Color of skin? Clothing?
You can probably get around 6 models for around 100kb each, each one being a slightly taller size than the last one. Changing color of skin is simply changing dulling the colors down. Clothes are different skins probably around 20kb each if you do it right.

I fail to see the use in changing the sex of your charecter. The locked door can be made better by requiring a key, and people being able to pick-lock it. The doors are likely pre-set, no choice for the player to choose where they are.

Well the idea i have is the gender you choose has different abilities. Women are faster than men but men are stronger. Don't ask me why that is, it just is.

Besides from ballance you should also have some new and fresh things in the map, just all the general LoaP ideas is a bit boring and generic.

Well I intend to do so. I have come up with an easy system that will allow players to place and move their furniture.

Players also tackle something along the lines of "Island troll tribes" with hunger and thirst. I am also thinking about implementing certain attributes that you can gain from progress in the game which may change the way you interact with certain NPCs. This would likely make each character that is created an individual.
Attributes like this may be Fame and Charisma.

This way, it is possible to aim for something in the game instead of just playing for a long time without a goal.

Level 6
Try to add a wide range of default attributes.
For example;
men strenght: 10-20
Women stengh:5-15

Women can be stronger then men, but have a less of a chance.
Same with speed and the like. Just don't go overly sexist and say women can clean faster or should do nothing.

Level 2
This map seems like it will be cool. Add a criminal/evil people system with the attributes. Maybe if you are bad enough, they just run away when u talk to them. Also dont copy loap. Too many loaps... Make like cops a job or a cpu.

Level 25
This sounds like an awesome mod. No doubt a remake of "The Sims" but none the less that was a good game for a while atleast. I always wanted to make a mod like this but I lack the triggering skills of course.
I'll without a doubt try this out!
By the way, think you can post a few screenshots?

Level 15
I were creating something like it called ''Operator's Real Life RPG''

In my map you could buy a house and add furniture yourself, Would be cool to add if you really want every house not looking the same. I also created a fuel system for the cars. Cars could also be made in factorys you could buy. That's another thing you might wanna add. Business' to buy and then control. In my map you could for an example buy an empty storage and then choose what you would like to have there. Like a shop, club, factory. And when you had chosen that you would have to buy the equipment yourself and place inside the store.

So, if you would buy the wrong equipment for you store, the computer controled customers would say so to you and NOT come again.

My map was full of other cool features. PM me if you want some ideas..

hmm, to bad I didn't finish it :/

Level 25
So tempting to work on a map like this on my spare time! @_@
Stop tempting me! lol
Ah yeah... Real Life, the first map before all the LoaP maps. What ever happened to Real Life? I remember Real Life used to be played almost as much as DotA back when it was new. :p

Level 15
So tempting to work on a map like this on my spare time! @_@
Stop tempting me! lol
Ah yeah... Real Life, the first map before all the LoaP maps. What ever happened to Real Life? I remember Real Life used to be played almost as much as DotA back when it was new. :p

Well, I would also like to finish one of my maps. After all, LOAP was the map that got me into modding. Over the years I've found and developed ways to create maps like it. Though I've never finished a single one. If you want to, lets start one ! from scratch, blending our ideas and we could spare time and work by using some of mine allready created systems !

PM me if you're interested !

Status
Not open for further replies.