• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My Lighting Is All Blocky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
So I'm doing a zombie survival map. I removed the DNS completely, so there is 0 ambient lighting.

The only lighting comes from flashlights, lamps, gunshots, fire etc... But it looks all blocky, like this...

blocky lighting.jpg

How to fix it?

Level 17
Not sure if it can be fixed, workarounds are ...
to use way less omni lights and replace it with fewer but much bigger lights.
to remove the tile and cover it with giant walkable platform instead.

This happens when you have many adjacent or intersecting lights, the game is just not built to handle that. Either don't use them or do one of the above.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I believe the blocks of lighting you see are the terrain geometry chunks which are used by WC3 to instruct the graphic card how to render the terrain. If too many light sources are used it skips rendering some of them for that block which would explain the edges.

Level 20
What lightnings are you using? The land has some issues, but not all lights works correctly. The Torch with light, for examen.

Level 22
I'm just using omnidirectional white lights. Specifically the one from UTM. It should be easy to fix this with a trick of some sort...

It could be great if there was a way for me to do, sort of my own dynamic lighting, without shit shit happening.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Warcraft III is very old and was made long before dynamic lighting became the standard. Where as a game like StarCraft II does what you want with ease and then some (it even casts shadows), Warcraft III struggles with anything but the most basic lighting. It was made using Direct3D 8, before all the advanced features of Direct3D 9 and 10 were developed. Being a RTS game also did not help as the graphics were streamlined for render speed rather than quality.

Level 6
yes also missiles death animation also cause this bug. I remove it but then the misisile* just stays in the point of death for like 1.5-2 seconds xDD

How can you set the time of a -death animation- of a missile ??

PD ___ Other than advanced game constants ^^ because that is for all Missiles. Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.