• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My imported music is an invalid format?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Well I have custom music I imported for the music in the game. But the problem is that when I import it and go to use it it shows up with no file size or duration and when I try playing it just says "This does not appear to be a valid sound file". But it's mp3 :hohum:

I guess it's not the end of the world if I can't use the song, but I REALLY wanted it in the map. It fits perfectly (it's techno).

So why is it saying this?

Level 22
It accept's them, I've used often mp3s instead of wav. It's not enough to be mp3. Some other games e.g a fighting engine will crash if your sound is not 8 Bit, etc. But war3 is a game that allows you for higher quality sounds than 8 bit, it just needs to be the same settings that war3 accepts.

Level 3
It has to do with the bit rate, sometimes it may be cause it's mono/stereo, different settings. I have a sound editing program, could give it a try but cannot guarantee it will accept the new file 100%.

I did download Audacity, and the bitrate was exceptionally high (192kbps) and I tried to lower it down 56kbps and then tried again, but still the same. I will try a couple more things and if I can't get them to go still, then I suppose you could give it a go if you want :wink:

Level 3
Extract a WC3 song or sound from the MPQ and look at it. Convert your sounds to exactly the sae format and settings and BAM you are good to go.

If it still errors, ignore it and you JASS play script should handle it.

WELL, I copied it exactly and of course it doesn't work >.> so what do I do for the JASS? I have absolutely no clue on how to work JASS.

Level 22
I did download Audacity, and the bitrate was exceptionally high (192kbps) and I tried to lower it down 56kbps and then tried again, but still the same. I will try a couple more things and if I can't get them to go still, then I suppose you could give it a go if you want :wink:

Yeah, I have some tricks in my pocket but they are limited, will try until it works (I hope) cause I had the same issues in the past, not sure if I used the musics at all.

Level 3
Here I uploaded the mp3 music I wanted to use. It's the not the original that had the default bitrate of 192 kbps. I'll give the one that's a smaller size with less bitrate.

Good luck to you guys if you give it a try!

Attachments

• 009 Sound System - Trinity.mp3
    4.1 MB · Views: 43
Level 22
This file above works just fine in WE and ingame, map settings: Melee Latest Patch, WE&War3 version: 1.24b NOTE: I play war3 without Music, so if your war3 music is off and you import the file and use it as Music and trigger - Play Music you won't hear it. Either have music in war3 ON and import it OR use it as a Sound (not music) and trigger Play Sound if you don't play with music.

Or you can have this louder version file - If you hear a little noise, lower the volume of the played music in the variable or make it -3 dB in Audacity, this will lower the music cause it is currently louder, but will remove noise.

Last edited:
Level 3
This file above works just fine in WE and ingame, map settings: Melee Latest Patch, WE&War3 version: 1.24b NOTE: I play war3 without Music, so if your war3 music is off and you import the file and use it as Music and trigger - Play Music you won't hear it. Either have music in war3 ON and import it OR use it as a Sound (not music) and trigger Play Sound if you don't play with music.

Or you can have this louder version file - If you hear a little noise, lower the volume of the played music in the variable or make it -3 dB in Audacity, this will lower the music cause it is currently louder, but will remove noise.

Hmm maybe it is the music volume, I tend to turn off the music also. I'll try to see of that's the cause. And if it doesn't work, I guess I'll have to use it as a sound :(

Only problem with that is I can't really make a set game music list using the music option like I wanted. I'll get back to you on the status.

Level 3
lol it was the music volume, I hate it when solutions are simple haha. Thanks a ton for the help I'll give +rep for ya since you helped figure it out :thumbs_up:

Status
Not open for further replies.