• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My First Terraining Screenshots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
These are my first proper attempts at terraining and experimenting with The ultimate terraining map, so don't be mean with your comments, and tell me what i need to improve on please :grin:

Also, there are some of my New, Old ones in here now xD.
1 - My Orcish Sunset
2 - 5 My Old House Pictures
6 - Spooky Graveyard
7 - 11 Forest Attempt's
12 - Old Cinematic of mine, The Sniper
13 - Just an Attempt at a plane crash
14 - A Destroyed City
15 - Another Attempt at a crashed plane
16 - Just a warzone scene
17-26 My Unfinished Cinematic - Forest Pictures
26-34 My Unfinished Cinematic - Resident Evil

P.S. - These are my Older Terrain's, For my Newer One's click Here

Attachments

• SunSet.jpg
    SunSet.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 238
  • House004.jpg
    House004.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 197
  • House003.jpg
    House003.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 181
  • House002.jpg
    House002.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 221
  • House001.jpg
    House001.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 216
  • GraveYard.jpg
    GraveYard.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 165
  • Forest03.jpg
    Forest03.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 193
  • Forest02.jpg
    Forest02.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 187
  • Forest01.jpg
    Forest01.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 169
  • Forest.jpg
    Forest.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 170
  • TheSniper.jpg
    TheSniper.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 193
  • PlaneCrash.jpg
    PlaneCrash.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 193
  • City Destroyed.jpg
    City Destroyed.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 192
  • PlaneCrash In newyork.jpg
    PlaneCrash In newyork.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 156
  • warzone.jpg
    warzone.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 152
  • Flooded Forest House.jpg
    Flooded Forest House.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 100
  • Flooded Forest Main 02.jpg
    Flooded Forest Main 02.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Flooded Forest Main.jpg
    Flooded Forest Main.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 107
  • TheWoods House 01.jpg
    TheWoods House 01.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 83
  • TheWoods House 02.jpg
    TheWoods House 02.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 91
  • TheWoods House 03.jpg
    TheWoods House 03.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 89
  • TheWoods House 04.jpg
    TheWoods House 04.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 125
  • TheWoods House 05.jpg
    TheWoods House 05.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 70
  • TheWoods House 06.jpg
    TheWoods House 06.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 64
  • TheWoods House 07.jpg
    TheWoods House 07.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 90
  • ResidentEvil 01.jpg
    ResidentEvil 01.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 125
  • ResidentEvil 02.jpg
    ResidentEvil 02.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 90
  • ResidentEvil 03.jpg
    ResidentEvil 03.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 111
  • ResidentEvil 04.jpg
    ResidentEvil 04.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 83
  • ResidentEvil 05.jpg
    ResidentEvil 05.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 74
  • ResidentEvil 06.jpg
    ResidentEvil 06.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 96
  • ResidentEvil 07.jpg
    ResidentEvil 07.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 83
  • ResidentEvil 08.jpg
    ResidentEvil 08.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Level 6
In the first one, take the sceenshot while in the game so the marines are doing some actions, they're all just standing, make the ones in the back running and the guy behind barrels firing.

In the second, theres a green ring on the ground that almost looks like a selection ring? I like third one, i dont think u need those black dead trees tho... all the way up to the sniper one, u should make the marines he's aiming at stand out, they're a bit too blurry.

Lastly i think the plane crash one, add more rocks where it skidded the ground. They're all great, some just seem to need a few tweaks.

Level 18
In the first one, take the sceenshot while in the game so the marines are doing some actions, they're all just standing, make the ones in the back running and the guy behind barrels firing.

In the second, theres a green ring on the ground that almost looks like a selection ring? I like third one, i dont think u need those black dead trees tho... all the way up to the sniper one, u should make the marines he's aiming at stand out, they're a bit too blurry.

Lastly i think the plane crash one, add more rocks where it skidded the ground. They're all great, some just seem to need a few tweaks.

Thanks, this is my first time actually trying to make a good terrain, i will keep trying at terraining , +rep

Level 6
I hope i didn't make them sound bad, i was just pointing out some things, they're good though.

Level 6
some of your forests need more grass

less random fire in your "city destroyed" the fire is just popin outa no where same with the plane have something actually burning besides the ground like some wood

your plane crash some of the trees are tilted the wrong way

Level 18
The City Destroyed one was made in about 20mins, but the PlaneCrash in the city, the last one, i spent a good hour or so on that.
And on the plane crash one, i thought that the trees would be all over the place if a plane just crashed in the middle of them, but guess i was wrong =).

Thanks for the post, when i am terraining more i will try to make them look better than these :D +rep

Level 6
well if a plane going 200 mph or more like 1000 since it looks like a fighter jet of some sort came tumbling down to the ground 1st the wings would cut down some trees and 2nd the knock of the plane on the ground would make a huge dent in the earth which you kinda have and this would cause all the trees to be tilted over toward the dent in the earth 3rd it probly woulda lost its wings and the back of the plane but you cant exactly do that ty for the rep :D

Level 18
well if a plane going 200 mph or more like 1000 since it looks like a fighter jet of some sort came tumbling down to the ground 1st the wings would cut down some trees and 2nd the knock of the plane on the ground would make a huge dent in the earth which you kinda have and this would cause all the trees to be tilted over toward the dent in the earth 3rd it probly woulda lost its wings and the back of the plane but you cant exactly do that ty for the rep :D

Yeah, good point, i will try and make better one's next time i terrain, and its no problem, thanks for the pointer

also is my Last one better than the forest one? The one with the plane in the city?

Level 23
I really like the sreenshots you took, especially "forest" and "planecrash". THe idea of the planecrash is very nice and well executed.

I also like the terrain of your "house" screenshots, but think you need some more grass and bushes or plants between the trees. But I think the main aspect to really improve it is to change the camera position a little. Taking a look at your "house" screenshots I realized that you cutted of many trees and important doodads that give charme to your map at the top of yur pictrue, for example in "house003" the house itsef. Changing that - I think - would really improve your screenshots.
I know its not a terraining problem at all, just wanted to add it, so you can may try to get some even better screenshots.
To come to a last point in terraining: I like the "graveyard" picture for its well done atmosphere. Just pretty awesome!!!!
(Tipp: Try to get more variations in your tileset for the ground there, ground looks a little bit boring in front of the grave, or you could add some small grass, etc.)
Just like them.:thumbs_up:

Level 34
You need more/better tile variation. Tile variation doesn't make a terrain, but it can ruin one.

You've also stretched some textures, especially on cliffs. Wc3 textures don't like to be stretched much, and it shows in your pictures (ie. it looks bad).

One of your waterfalls has funny looking wave lines all through it. One way to get around those, is to select all those waterfall doodads, delete them, then undo your deletion and those waves won't appear for a second, while the falling water does. Take the photo quick. ;)

Your forests are a bit spammy. It's hard to describe, and even harder to learn, but you have to balance how many doodads you use, and place each one with intent. If that makes sense. It takes practice. Also try tinting things. The green in some of them hurts my eyes. Try a darker green on the shrubs. Also get new plants, the shrub doodad should be used sparingly.

I'm not a fan of vehicles and modern things in wc3, so I won't bother commenting on them.

Good stuff for a first go. Keep it up.

Level 18
You need more/better tile variation. Tile variation doesn't make a terrain, but it can ruin one.

You've also stretched some textures, especially on cliffs. Wc3 textures don't like to be stretched much, and it shows in your pictures (ie. it looks bad).

One of your waterfalls has funny looking wave lines all through it. One way to get around those, is to select all those waterfall doodads, delete them, then undo your deletion and those waves won't appear for a second, while the falling water does. Take the photo quick. ;)

Your forests are a bit spammy. It's hard to describe, and even harder to learn, but you have to balance how many doodads you use, and place each one with intent. If that makes sense. It takes practice. Also try tinting things. The green in some of them hurts my eyes. Try a darker green on the shrubs. Also get new plants, the shrub doodad should be used sparingly.

I'm not a fan of vehicles and modern things in wc3, so I won't bother commenting on them.

Good stuff for a first go. Keep it up.

Thanks a lot for your comment :), and i kinda understand what you mean by spamming and tinting things, these terrain's were made before i knew much about descent terraining, besides i think my resident evil ones look a bit better than the forest ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.