• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
This is actually my very first serious attempt at making a forest like terrain with the Ashenvale terrain.

Now this forest is inhabited by high elves of some sort and I'm trying to make it look a little like the elf forest where Arthas invaded Silvermoon. Critics, comments and ideas for improvements are highly appreciated.

And just for the record, it's full time night.

Attachments

• terrain1.JPG
    terrain1.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 173
  • terrain2.JPG
    terrain2.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 186
  • terrain3.JPG
    terrain3.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 194
Level 8
Hi dude! Nice for your first terraining. Here are my feedback suggestions:

1. Get rid of the round tiles to make it look more natural.
3. More height variation, create some little hillocks and grooves in your terrain with the raise and lower tools, but don't go crazy, and stay the hell away from the noise tool or I will eat you.
2. Don't be neat with the lily pads, you seem to have made a perfect border between the grass and the dirt in screen 1, and it looks rather un-natural
3. Don't use blizzard cliffs, use the raise and lower tools, and look for a tutorial on creating smooth shores to find out how to make water without blizz cliffs.
4. Use more environment doodads such as rocks, shrubs, river rushes, mushrooms, etc. When you do use them, also clump them together in small groups.
5. A little more tile variation wouldn't go amiss
6. When you are a little more experienced with terraining, use custom trees, they look a crap load better than blizzard ones.

I know that sounds like I am calling your terrain completely crap, and telling you to change absolutely everything about it, but it's not so. Beleive me I have seen much worse for first attempts, just keep practicing.

Last edited:
Level 9
1. When you say round tiles I believe you mean the cityscape tile? I myself think it looks quite "natural" since it's not a Night Elf forest, but a High Elf forest.
2. I've never used Noise Tool for terraining and I never will. And I'm well aware of the heightening and lowering, but I didn't go crazy with it since the lily pads would sink into the ground making it look like crap.
3. I made this to also be playable, therefor using blizzard cliffs.
4. Now that you mention it, it does seem to lack a little doodads yes.
5. Currently using Grass and Dirty Grass, I don't think the others fit in so well together.
6. Those are custom trees.

And please note that I did not say this was my first terrain ever.
Otherwise thanks for the critics and comments.

Last edited:
Level 8
Ahh yes sorry, I misunderstood your first scentence, taking this to be your first ever terrain, which is why I went on a bit of a rampage with the critics, my bad :bored: (those trees do look remarkably like the Ashenvale ones though). By the way you can set the pitch and roll angles for the lily pads to 90, to make them lie flat on the ground however steep it is, and stop them sinking :thumbs_up:

Level 7
saying blizzard cliffs look bad is dumb, as this guy makes them look quite good. Same with blizzard trees, also he did use custom trees, ashenvale trees can look good. Also is this an aos? i think an aos in a forest that doesnt have the stereotypical set paths and lanes would be cool. I love the ballista thing youre doing to. GJ

P.S. Those trees dont look anything like ashenvale trees.... wtf are you talking about...

Level 9
No this is not an AoS, it's merely some terraining practice. But I wanted it to still be playable with blizzard cliffs and not custom made cliffs. I just want suggestions and directions on how to improve the forest into looking more like a high elf forest.

Level 6
For the first time it looks good Oo

I like the idea you made there nice work. Everything was sayd...
But personaly i dont like the Lilly Pads on the ground...

Level 6
My first attempt didnt looked that good ;)
Well i terrained so much i dont even know what was my first serious attempt~

Status
Not open for further replies.