• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My first terrain :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi all, this is my first terrain as my topic name says so i'd like you to give your opinion on it.
I didn't put fog because all fogs i try just make the terrain looking kinda stupid.

I hope you like them :cute:

Edited the house on the 3rd pic

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Level 13
Oh and i almost forgot i didn't put fog because all fogs i try just make the terrain looking kinda stupid.

Erm... what? Why would you want to make stupid looking terrain ?
But anyway, it's too messy. Like in 3rd pic, rock comes out from house.
And what are those purple trees doing in green forrest? Or blue glowing mushrooms...

There is just way too much stuff in there.

Level 4
First i edited the house on the 3rd pic it's ok now
Second this is supposed to be magical forest so that's why it has purple trees and blue mushrooms
Third no it's not playable , I'm working on my first playable map (RPG) so i don't have time to make this playable
And last thanks for those fast replays :smile:

Last edited:
Level 3
Good Terrain.
Advices:
- less rock spam
- more tile variation
- more enviroment variation,less enviroment spam
- more height variation
- more creativity and import dodads
- add some terrain fog,light enviroment,global weather etc

- be original and learn to terrain better with THW terrain tutorials like:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/general-mapping-tutorials-278/terrain-advanced-lighting-53574/
and
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...278/useful-tips-night-forest-terrains-106668/
and
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/general-mapping-tutorials-278/natural-environments-96825/
etc

I hope i helped you.

Level 4
Well now i'm working on the Harmony topic so i'll do it after I finish the Harmony :)

Yeah, I placed my comments in my head and after a while I checked Piwlady's comments. i totally agree. This contains a bunch of doodads for no reason.
Rules you need to stick with:
1) Do not use for ANY reason mushrooms. They are pathetic; honestly, if I see a good terrain, that contains mushrooms, I call it a) lack of taste and b) unbearable to watch it anymore.

2) Animals should not be used in a scenery in a pack. Since this is not playable, you need to stabilize a nice camera angle and just add a deer's figure somewhere in the forest, not that ugly bear looking its reflection upon the water.

3) I know you were going for a magical effect, but the purple trees just don't fit. Find the line between magical and tasteless. The whole scenery is a product of green, so those purple trees look out of place.

4) Fog = Magical. Also, use some glows (Glow model, Ultimate Terraining Map).

Forests is the most overused theme ever in the Terrain section. If you want to make something of this concept, it must stand out.

Status
Not open for further replies.