• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My campaign (Demo) Boss Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
This is my boss concept & idea post!

Gargrim
Background
Gargrim is the leader of a Mercenary Gang, payed to bring the head of the hero of my campaign. Gargrim has ruled over this gang since 20 years back, when he defeated the current Warlord by cracking his head infront of all gang-members. After this he has ruled over the gang with force, and anyone who has tried to put him down from his position has been brutialy slain.
Combat Style
Gargrim is the first Boss. And a real hard nut to crack. He waves around his blunt and heavy mace to pulvirize and smack his opponents. He's brain functionality is extremely low. He focuses on brute force and physical strength.
Weapon(s)
The large mace ''Headbreaker'' has followed Gargrim since 30 years back. When Gargrim first started in the Mercenary bussiness his first though was: ''Big weapon''. And a big weapon he bought. A Large Spiked mace armed with 5 layers of iron, this weapon is a real beast. And because of that it is completely made out of iron, it's extremely heavy. This doesn't concern Gargrim though. He named his weapon ''Headbreaker'' after the incident with the current Mercenary Warlord.

172848-albums3381-picture29872.jpg

Ability Ideas are very much appriciated. I got some abilitys on my mind but I want to see about other peoples ideas first. Hopefully some people got some great ideas.
Here's the map too:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/map-development-202/my-campaign-demo-not-named-yet-167140/
Skin made by:
Dark_Desent
Mace Made By:
Sunchips

Last edited:
Level 4
Since you have so many spiders in the forest, how about a spider boss? It could spit slow-moving, but extremely powerful waves of poison (in an edited form of Breath of Frost or Breath of Fire) and damage the heroes greatly over time if they're hit. The key to defeating this boss would be to avoid getting hit by the poison or pick up antidotes hidden in the area the boss is in to get rid of the poison once hit by it.

By the way, do you mean Headbreaker for Gargrim's weapon? A brake is like what slows and stops a car.

Level 3
Alright, a couple suggestions for your boss coming up.
As he is the brutish kind, going with powerful yet slow abilities would fit. Some kind of ultimate ability is also nice when fighting a boss, since it adds a bit of flavour. You need to mind though that on your map you fail if you die, so it can't be that super awesome. Perhaps a kind of Bladestorm could come into play, with a kind of visual warning (perhaps an audial as well). It could let him whirld around for a while with a slow movement speed, making the player need to dodge him untill it wears off.
A single ability won't be enough, though! You could add spawning enemies at certain %s of the fight, perhaps some kind of quite strong mercenary (high damage and/or a dangerous ability but low health) that you should switch focus to and take down. Such a classic in boss battles commonly goes well.
More abilities... a version of Bash, perhaps? Would fit the brutish boss quite well. Or, you could take Storm Bolt, redesign it to have lower range (melee range) and rename it "Headbreaker"?
You could create a spell that allows the boss to jump from the Hero he is attacking at the moment (which I would guess mostly will be the melee Hero), to the second Hero, using a Thunderclap-like ability when landing and then start to pound away at his new victim. This could give the player a little challenge in keeping the boss in place so that he doesn't squish the goblin Hero.
There are so many more things to implement, I would absolutely love to help you on it. I adore creating boss battles!

Level 10
Double Druidinator. I have an idea for an ultimate you can integrate in some dialogue to make it powerful but fair, but a few other ideas are part of this ultimate so here goes:

CAGE OF LUNG IRON:
Gargrim calls it "Yelling before beating dead deader", but a poet who watched Gargrim fight named it Gargrim's Cage of Lung Iron.
Gargrim looks really angry again! With fists clenched and veins bulging on his face, he inhales buckets of air through the wide gaps between his grinding teeth, most rotten, some replaced with precious metal. You know he's gonna use his deafening Cage of Lung Iron, which he is renowned for stunning his enemies with. Time to run to a safe distance. You don't want to be next to him when he coughs up metal bars.
Effect: War Stomp, pretty much, except you get a warning: A visible charging-up or a sound.

BEND THE BARS
Aforementioned poet said that, "After he trapped his rival in his Cage of Lung Iron, he went ahead and Bent the Bars!!! He crumbled his adversary like he was a piece of paper, and after that, the rival, having his butt kicked, stepped more vigorously than ever - or perhaps they were but his nervous spasms?!"
Effect: Gargrim uses this ability to do a good bunch of damage to a stunned enemy. After done, the enemy is no longer stunned. Every time Gargrim Bends the Bars, he (metaphorically) pockets one Bent Bar. When Gargrim has (metaphorically) pocketed [determine a number] Bent Bars, he is ready to use his Ultimate. Player(s) should be warned about how close he is to being able to use his Ultimate!

ULTIMATE: UNSTOPPABLE GARGRIM
The poet watched Gargrim fight one of his big fights against a bunch he'd gotten trouble out of with his stupid manners. When the fight began, Gargrim said: "This game's gonna get uglier and uglier and UUGLIEERRR!!!" This statement displayed to the observing poet yet unseen cognitive capacity for drawing on experience to predict the (in a brutish sense) aesthetical outcome of his violence.
As the fight went on, he repeatedly used Cage of Lung Iron and Bent the Bars, and everytime he'd Bent Bars, he flung a warning like, "You really gonna get it soon!!" His rage built up, until he, he said himself, became unstoppable.
Effect: When the necessary build-up pts (Bent Bars) have been accumulated, and this ability is used, Gargrim deals more damage and becomes uglier. He cannot Bend the Bars while he's unstoppable, but his generic blows become almost as powerful partially because they now have a chance to stun, and his Cage of Lung Iron stuns longer than before. Finally, to make him truly unstoppable, Gargrim's Armor gets heftilly boosted when he uses his Ultimate. The whole effect ofcourse wears off after a while.

Level 10
I say, we mix your awesome ideas into one big good soup.

CAGE OF LUNG IRON:
(The names of the abilities are also very creative)
This, as you Hugget states, will be the center of his combat style. He inhales and let out a fearsome warcry. The warcry stuns everybody within an area around him. If he catches anyone, he'll start the next ability in the chain.

BEND THE BARS
If Gargrim catches anyone, he yells: ''Time to crush skulls!'' or something in that genre of brutality. He jumps into mid-air and falls down on the stunned opponent, bang.
The targeted unit will hopefully survive, and if he does Gargrim gets really pissed and says something like: ''You! Must! Break!''. (Adding 1+ to his ultimate)

FURY OF THE GRIM
When Gargrim reaches +10 in pissed-offness (lol), he screams ''Just die!'' and he enters a real state of true anger. His blood starts boil and his very aura starts to glow red. It visualizes the anger in him, and he starts too whirl around uncontrolled in the room. Better not get close when this happens!

I'll see what you think, if there's more +'s than -'s I'll start with the abilities right away!

Status
Not open for further replies.