• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My campaign! ( Demo. not named yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
My campaign! (v) 0.02b

My New Campaign
(v)0.2b

(v) 0.2b: Added 4 new units, additional terraining and the follow up on where the last demo ended. You'll also be able see that the warrior wields his weapon and can change it (but not right now). Spells are not updated in this map. This will be done in the next update, where you'll also be able to fight Gargrim, the first boss of the campaign.

Creators words:
I'm now working on this map on a daily basis. With all the positive feedback and the great ratings made by Coffeholic and Darkey. Thanks to you guys. And before you play you have to forget everything you know about warcraft lore, otherwise you will get pissed of. :gg:
Description:
"A warrior awakens in a forest from a bad dream. His head aches as he tries to remember Where he are. After a short period of thinking he realizies: He can't remember Who he are."
That is pretty much the beginning of the map. The warrior, Named: ??? is awefully strong and combat agile. Although he lacks any form of magic control. He suffers from bad dreams, mabey he's past? Mabey he's present? I don't want to reveal that part just yet. :wink:

Purpose of the post:

What I like to be rated/commented/crizised about is pretty much everything that the map currently contains. Ideas and such are always considered, even if they are insane, really smart or something in the middle. I would actually like some ideas from someone. Thinking all by yourself is pretty boring in long terms.
Request:
Rate:
  • Quests? The ones I made.
  • Terrain art. I would really like suggestions on how to improve/ evolve terrain. If I dont improve my terrain skills the map will look the same after a while
  • Characters. The personalities of the game, are they too similar, or are they too stiff. I would like the game to feel ''Right''.
  • Spells. Tell me about the balance of the spells and what you think would be the best spells to for the characters.
  • Gameplay. I would also like to know if the map is too hard/easy and the balance overall. What do you think of the bosses?

For Waterfall:
Buster
For The Wooden Walls:
Mephestrial
For Warlords tent:
Forgotten_Warlord
For The Rope Bridge Model:
Teaspoon
For Gibbit's New Skin:
M0rbid
For Gibbits Hut Model:
communist_orc
For Shield Attachment:
Forgotten_Warlord
For The Warrior Model:
levigeorge1617
For Gibbit Model:
Dan van Ohllus
For the Tree Skin:
FreiBeir
For the Torch Button:
IanSkel
For Gibbits new spell button:
Infinitynexus
For The Forest Spirit Skin:
Mr. Goblin
For The Mercenary Skin:
Coinblin
For The Knife Attachment model:
Sunchips
For The Warriors New Spell Icon:
SkriK
For Great Feedback:
Darkey & Coffeeholic

0.1 Attached the map -.-'
0.2 Attached screenshots from ingame
0.3 Put up the request about a goblin druid skin
0.4 Attached a new Demo Map (v) 0.1b enjoy!
0.5 Attached 2 more screenshots from ingame to show of terrain
0.6 Removed outdated screenshots
0.7 Added new screenshots
0.8 Released the new demo (v) 0.2b + new description among other things.

Attachments

• Burn baby burn!.jpg
    Burn baby burn!.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 269
  • Kick some scorpion butt.jpg
    Kick some scorpion butt.jpg
    1,008.8 KB · Views: 263
  • Harrasing dream.jpg
    Harrasing dream.jpg
    803 KB · Views: 188
  • Well done M0rbid!.jpg
    Well done M0rbid!.jpg
    1,016.6 KB · Views: 156
  • Haer The Greedy.jpg
    Haer The Greedy.jpg
    910.4 KB · Views: 172
  • A new Map (v) 0.2b.w3x
    2 MB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Level 4
How come your grammar and spelling is flawless in the demo, but not in your post here?

Anyway, great demo map! Gibbit was very entertaining. We don't know much about the main character so far, so I don't really have anything to say about him yet. It would be nice if skills had tooltips when researching them for the hero, but at least they do show properly once you select the skill.

The terrain is great. It really does make me feel like I'm lost in a strange forest. The only things I strongly suggest adding are some type of sky or hiding the blackness in the background with actual terrain fog and some more terrain height variation, even in the area the character can walk in. Maybe some fireflies hovering around plants would make the atmosphere seem more enchanting.

Your quest was fun and a nice refresher after playing a lot of crappy campaigns. The only problem is that the scorpions I had killed suddenly popped back up and were unclickable when there was one scorpion left alive. It's a bit strange how the torch couldn't just be used on the vines, so you might want to include something about the vines being magically enchanted or fireproof.

I'm really looking forward to updates for this. I'm anxious to play more of it, so I hope you continue to work on and finish it.

Level 9
Coffeeholic pretty much summed it up, but I felt like I had to contribute to this awesome project anyway. In one of Gibbits lines, he said "idéa", you don't need the ´ on the e. And Gibbit's Han of Healing or whatever his spell was called uses H as hotkey, but that's also the hotkey for Hold, should fix that.

Otherwise, keep up the good work! Fix the tooltips and add active button icons instead of the passive ones for the spells. ;P

*EDIT*

Also, I find it a bit odd to see a druid goblin. Maybe make him a hermit or something less... abnormal.

Last edited:
Level 10
Thanks for the great responses! Here's some awnsers:
How come your grammar and spelling is flawless in the demo, but not in your post here?
That one is simple. I've actually spell checked the sentences in the demo, while not in my post. Mostly because of that I'm lazy when it comes to posts. And be kind, I'm Swedish =)
Also, I find it a bit odd to see a druid goblin. Maybe make him a hermit or something less... abnormal.
Maybe I should put up a little biografi on the little fella so that you could connect to his character more? Or is it just WoW wounds that has cut to deep? I think a green man in a robe is more than qualified to be a druid:wink:
Fix the tooltips and add active button icons instead of the passive ones for the spells.
Already on it =)
The only problem is that the scorpions I had killed suddenly popped back up and were unclickable when there was one scorpion left alive
Looking in to it right now, hopefully its just that I didn't turn of one trigger when it was executed.

*Edit
It's a bit strange how the torch couldn't just be used on the vines, so you might want to include something about the vines being magically enchanted or fireproof.
I didn't even think about that... I don't know how to make it obvious that the torch doesn't work on the roots. Maybe I'll put it in the tooltip of the item. =)

Last edited:
Level 9
Maybe I should put up a little biografi on the little fella so that you could connect to his character more? Or is it just WoW wounds that has cut to deep? I think a green man in a robe is more than qualified to be a druid:wink:

Heh, no worries there. I'm no WoW player. But I really doubt a goblin would become a druid, as druids are one with the earth. Goblins blow the earth up.

Level 10
Update:
I'm very happy to see the kind and constructive replys on my work! And hopefully I'll put up a new update on the map today or maybe tomorrow. We'll see how my work proceeds and how my mood is. And hopefully someone will respond to my request about Gibbits skin, although I highly doubt that.

If someone want a notification of when the next demo (v) 0.1b will be released, PM me with an ''I do''.

Level 4
Nice to see some progress with the demo. I was anxious for more when the demo ended, so you definitely hit the spot with that so far. The updates to the tooltips and icons worked out nicely too.

The main character's new skill isn't that great since it's just a stat bonus, but I guess the choice of becoming physically stronger can be good on a strength-based hero. Will you be adding more levels to hero skills as well?

One huge thing that I've been thinking about lately is cinematic skipping. Now would probably be the best time to add it in before you do anymore quests and cinematics. Having the choice to skip cinematics before they start or during them will make the campaign much more enjoyable to play through multiple times. I didn't like having to sit through the cinematics again to try the updated demo. So I suggest at least adding the option to hit the Esc key a few seconds before each cinematic to skip it in case the player has already seen it.

Other than the suggestion for adding in some custom music that goes well with the environment, that's about it for now. I'm checking back everyday to try out new updates when you upload them.

Level 10
I know you didn't state questions. But I'll awnser anyway.
The main character's new skill isn't that great since it's just a stat bonus, but I guess the choice of becoming physically stronger can be good on a strength-based hero. Will you be adding more levels to hero skills as well?
I agree with you totally on this, but as my ''Main post'' says, my Idea factory is abit dry. Especially on the spells. But I'll see what I can do to make the skills more enjoyable. As for the levels on the skills, yes. They will be higher lvled. But right now I'm trying to balance the game up, and therefore I won't make the abilites complete untill the whole map is done.
One huge thing that I've been thinking about lately is cinematic skipping. Now would probably be the best time to add it in before you do anymore quests and cinematics. Having the choice to skip cinematics before they start or during them will make the campaign much more enjoyable to play through multiple times. I didn't like having to sit through the cinematics again to try the updated demo. So I suggest at least adding the option to hit the Esc key a few seconds before each cinematic to skip it in case the player has already seen it.
*edit
Other than the suggestion for adding in some custom music that goes well with the environment.
Loading the map will take ages if I add custom music. I'll think about it.

*Edit.

I thought about it and came up with an idea. From now on a dialog button will show up when ever a cinematic is about to start. When this happens you choose yes/no to skip it. I think that's the smoothes way to do without halting my progress too much.

Last edited:
Level 51
wow. this is really, really awsome. one of the first "RPG"-Campaign like map thingys that I really enjoyed, where the characters were awsome and where the story was neat. I'm really looking forward to play more from this! +rep for first.

anyway, I really like the spells right know, they're handy, and are including anything you need.

I must say I'm surprised of the GREAT quality in this demo and I hope this will be finished early! if you need a model or two, feel free to ask.

Level 10
Update:

Currently progress has been abit slow due to that I was going to move over everything to a better comp, but the comp's graphic card collapsed. But I've now started ''working again''. And M0rbid progress on the Gibbit skin is very impressive. It's worth to take a look at the Thread.

*Edit

I've also got permision by levigeorge1617 to edit his very good Footman model. You'll see what I did with this in the next map upload.

Last edited:
Level 9
Remember to make the cinematics skippable. ;)

*EDIT*

Also, if you use the whosyourdaddy cheat and quickly kill the two mercenaries, they won't appear but still have their dialogue. Should probably fix that by making them invurnable until you have to actually fight them.

Level 4
I had some problems with the rope bridge model too, so I made a little platform that can be turned invisible only by changing the red tinting and still being able to walk on it. Maybe it can help you too.

Rope Bridge Test Map

A problem I just found while replaying the demo was that any unit can initiate cinematics. You might want to add in a condition to keep Gibbit's summon from initiating cinematics (like a boolean check for a hero triggering unit).

Level 10
Also, if you use the whosyourdaddy cheat and quickly kill the two mercenaries, they won't appear but still have their dialogue. Should probably fix that by making them invurnable until you have to actually fight them.

I am very well aware of this, and I don't like the idea of players cheating trough the game, but I'll try and make it ''Cheat compatible''.

A problem I just found while replaying the demo was that any unit can initiate cinematics. You might want to add in a condition to keep Gibbit's summon from initiating cinematics (like a boolean check for a hero triggering unit).

Yeah, but if I make that trigger check, then the summoned unit will be able to actualy run into cinematic scenes and attack scene units. But I think I have a solution for this.

Level 9
I am very well aware of this, and I don't like the idea of players cheating trough the game, but I'll try and make it ''Cheat compatible''.

I don't usually cheat, but it's something to take into consideration when making a map so you don't ruin the experience further for the cheating bastards.

Level 4
I was thinking maybe you could give Gibbit's summon a simple AI, or at least command it to attack-move to a point just in front of Gibbit at all times periodically. That way players wouldn't be able to use it to do any exploits and could focus on other things instead of guiding the summon around.

Level 10
Update:

I'm very pleased to inform that the Gibbit skin is finished. So from now on he will actually look like a Goblin Druid. All hail the skills of M0rbid!

Also Coffeeholic, I like the idea of making the summoned wolf follow Gibbit. I think I'll take that idea.

*edit
Typo

Last edited:
Level 4
Yay for updates! The skippable cinematics work very smoothly, and they're a relief to play through the parts that I've already seen before.

The constant waves of mercenaries in the meadow area was a good idea, but it got a little repetitive being the same amount and type of mercenaries every wave. Maybe you could start with two melee bandits and add one more or use a different type (switch in a ranged instead of a melee) each wave.

I think it would be more fun if the player had to choose an answer from a dialog list when the hero goes to give the guard the password to cross the bridge, since the player is shown the password during the cinematic anyway. If the player chooses wrong, the bandit says something like, "That's incorrect. You're not one of us, so get lost!"

I found another glitch on the scorpion quest. All I had to do was keep torching the same hole to complete that part of the quest as seen in the screenshot below:
oneholetocomplete.jpg

Maybe you could set the holes to be invulnerable (unable to be targeted by the torch) after they're set on fire.

I got attacked by Rob and Bob during the cinematic at the end. It's no big deal since it was the end anyway, but I just figured I'd mention it so you know to pause them or turn them neutral toward the heroes.

Well overall, I really like where the story is going. I'm sure you're going to make it an exciting battle against Gargrim, and I really like how the quests are actually fun instead of "Kill this; kill that." Keep up the good work! And +rep for fixing everything up as well as you have so far (especially the skippable cinematics) :thumbs_up:

Level 10
I Always anwser your review as if they were questions
Mercenaries Coming Out of the Forest Suggestion
The constant waves of mercenaries in the meadow area was a good idea, but it got a little repetitive being the same amount and type of mercenaries every wave. Maybe you could start with two melee bandits and add one more or use a different type (switch in a ranged instead of a melee) each wave.
It's actually 3 types of unit's spawning (I agree that's not a big number but...). I could make more and different kinds of mercenaries as I have a weaponless bandit. I'll think about it.

Bridge Cinematic Suggestion
I think it would be more fun if the player had to choose an answer from a dialog list when the hero goes to give the guard the password to cross the bridge, since the player is shown the password during the cinematic anyway. If the player chooses wrong, the bandit says something like, "That's incorrect. You're not one of us, so get lost!"
I don't know about this. I think some people really will skip all my cinematics and just rush trough the game. Then again most people skipping cinematics probably is those who has played it before. But I like that idea.
Scorpion Quest Glitch
I found another glitch on the scorpion quest. All I had to do was keep torching the same hole to complete that part of the quest as seen in the screenshot below:

Maybe you could set the holes to be invulnerable (unable to be targeted by the torch) after they're set on fire.
Dammit. The first quest always gets the most bugged, doesn't it?
Good review Coffeeholic.

Update:
Right now I'm thinking about the different kind of abilities and events that will occur during the meeting of Gargrim. Suggestions are very much appreciated and I think I'll start a Forum post in the ''Idea Factory'' section. I'll link a picture on how Gargrim will look like in that post too.

:infl_thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Level 23
Okay, I checked the map now, and I must say I'm quite excited on how this will envelop, I already like the charakters you made up and especially how you turn the different characters out by their language, great job here.

But I do not only want to post positive feedback here, that motivates you to continue working, but also the minor flaws, so you can even improve what you did already:
1. The spell of the Warrior: THe idea of the spell is good, i always like knockback in maps ;) But one thing I would really like to give it is a more tactical use: This could be done by making the unit that is pushed away slower for 2 seconds after the push. Let's see this in a scenario: The warrior is attacked by two melee enemies: The Warrior will start to deal damage to one of them by his melee attack, now he can cast the pushback spell on the other one, to keep him away. In it's current state, the spell nearly only works for dealing damage and is eyecandy, because the pushed back unit comes back so fast, that there's nearly no advanteage from pushing it back. If the unit were slowed down, you could use it more as a tactical weapon: in this case: you push back the one guy, and while he comes back - slowed down - you attack the other guy with melee attack and kill him, then you deal with the other one! This is my spell suggestion ;)
2. The cinematics: I like the fact, that the cinematics are already skipable, but, i do not like, that the yes button stands above the no button, because I always feel addicted to press the higher button, but in this case, playing it for the first time , I want to see them, so I would change the buttons!
3. Gibbit: His speech is awesomely done, I like it a lot :p But in some parts of the cinematic, it's hard to read the messages, you might want to rewatch it and imagine you haven't read it before. Maybe you can enlarge some of them, while other passages could be shorten a bit.
4. Cinematic with the dark elven: In this cinematic, you once mixed up the names of Gibbit and the Warrior. So the message by Gibbit still has the Title "???".
5. A nice feature would be if you could find some potions or items, when destroying the boxes in the camp, some ideas and riddles like that would pull up the gameplay a bit more ...
6. yeah, the terrain, this is a meh point, i don't want to say that it is bad, but two points I wanna say: 1. Try to never use blizzard cliffs, replace it with MiscData.txt height variation and rocks. 2. You need to work on your skills placing the bridges and (do you added?) pathingblockers at somepoint: the tree bridges sticks out of the ground way to much, how shall they climb on that one? On the other one I was really scared, my units would fall down :D
Also I really do not like this green dungeon fog, try to use the editor fog instead with range 200 - 600, must try the values, though in dark green!

That's it for now, I might edit later, if I remember more ;)
Good job, please please, keep it up ;)

Level 10
Jesus, thats one big wall of text.
1. The spell of the Warrior: THe idea of the spell is good, i always like knockback in maps ;) But one thing I would really like to give it is a more tactical use:This could be done by making the unit that is pushed away slower for 2... etc.
I agree with you that making the spells more ''tactically'' would be a great addition to gameplay + funnier. But one big flaw with that is that I don't have any ''Spell Creator''. Even if the slow would be easy to make, I don't have a clue how to make it. I only go basic triggering. :/
2. The cinematics: I like the fact, that the cinematics are already skipable, but, i do not like, that the yes button stands above the no button, because I always feel addicted to press the higher button, but in this case, playing it for the first time , I want to see them, so I would change the buttons!
Done.
3. Gibbit: His speech is awesomely done, I like it a lot :p But in some parts of the cinematic, it's hard to read the messages, you might want to rewatch it and imagine you haven't read it before. Maybe you can enlarge some of them, while other passages could be shorten a bit.
I suppose I can check all cinematics again and count how long it take for me too read trough them + 1 sec or something like that.
4. Cinematic with the dark elven: In this cinematic, you once mixed up the names of Gibbit and the Warrior. So the message by Gibbit still has the Title "???".
Crap.
5. A nice feature would be if you could find some potions or items, when destroying the boxes in the camp, some ideas and riddles like that would pull up the gameplay a bit more ...
Items= Will add. ''Some ideas and riddles'' I dind't really understand what you ment, but if you mean that you want some brain exercise then it is coming, I've got lots of stuff for later.
6. yeah, the terrain, this is a meh point, i don't want to say that it is bad, but two points I wanna say: 1. Try to never use blizzard cliffs, replace it with MiscData.txt height variation and rocks. 2. You need to work on your skills placing the bridges and (do you added?) pathingblockers at somepoint: the tree bridges sticks out of the ground way to much, how shall they climb on that one? On the other one I was really scared, my units would fall down :D
Also I really do not like this green dungeon fog, try to use the editor fog instead with range 200 - 600, must try the values, though in dark green!
First of all I must say that I really like your terraining (seen some of it on the site) .The bridges have been a pain in the arse since I first started with them. And the cliffs are just a fail made by me, as I realized that height variation is a much more appriciated thing on this site, and I personally like height variation more than cliffs. And also I realized that if you want water, you got to have cliffs... Ah well

Level 23
Jesus, thats one big wall of text.

I agree with you that making the spells more ''tactically'' would be a great addition to gameplay + funnier. But one big flaw with that is that I don't have any ''Spell Creator''. Even if the slow would be easy to make, I don't have a clue how to make it. I only go basic triggering. :/

I just felt free to try to create it for you, blame me for using your map without permission, if you do not like that, I'm very sorry and I'll delete it!

I'm not good at triggering - very bad - , too.
This is how I created it: The unit will be slowed down to a speed of 50 for 2 seconds and then getting back it's normal speed. If you plan to get more elvels for the ability, I could change the time value of the slowdown, to different second values, if you want me to ;)
Note: This is very simple done, so please do not expect to much of me.

What you have to do is: changing the spell description a bit and thinking of balancing issues, maybe you could tune down the damage caused by the attack, but I personally think that this is not necessary, having in mind, that the Warrior deals 30 in melee attack anyway.

I'll edit this post and attach the map in a second, I'm just adding some text to the map ;)

Attachments

• A new Map (v) 0.2A.w3x
    2 MB · Views: 45
Level 3

Actually, making a slow effect is much easier than you'd think. You can take Slow, modify it slightly (duration, mana cost, % slowed and so), then create a trigger that creates a dummy unit who casts the modified dummy Slow on the target.

And oh, while I'm at it: I simply adore you terraining, beats mine by light years. And I like what you're creating, following it closely.

Edit: Damn, Morbid beat me to it. His solution seems better than mine, didn't think of going that way. But still, dummy units are very useful.

Level 7
This a pretty nice demo :thumbs_up:

I only found some minor issues:
- The buff from the Meat and Alchohol thing in the bandit camp.
- Scorpion lairs which the player may burn several time, as someone else already metioned do a trigger like this.
Unit start the effect of an ability
Ability being cast is equal to torch
Make target unit of ability being cast invurnerable
- why did you make the fire pit into a building? the rock which is created beneath isn't necessary (imo)
- The root doodads looks kinda weird, try to find something better
- Same goes for Gibbit's bridge, instead of using 2 logs just increase size and use 1, i think it would look better.

Level 10
- The buff from the Meat and Alchohol thing in the bandit camp.
Crap.
- Scorpion lairs which the player may burn several time, as someone else already metioned do a trigger like this.
It isn't as easy as that as my initial trigger looks very different, but I think I can work this out without remaking the whole trigger.
- why did you make the fire pit into a building? the rock which is created beneath isn't necessary (imo)
This is because of my personal taste. The doodad is actually a doodad, but I've added the ground texture myself, because I think it looks better than making a fire ontop of dirt or even grass, your making it on a pile of rocks.
- The root doodads looks kinda weird, try to find something better
Think it looks good.
- Same goes for Gibbit's bridge, instead of using 2 logs just increase size and use 1, i think it would look better.
I'll try and see what comes out of it.
Ty for response.

Level 7
Your trigger is a bit messed.
In my opinion it would be a lot easier to make a trigger like this:
  • Scorpion Quest
  • Event
  • Unit start the effect of an ability
  • Condition
  • Ability being cast is equal to "Everyburning torch thingy"
  • Action