1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Secrets of Warcraft 3 have revealed interesting works. The RESULTS for Abelhawk's Mini-Mapping Contest #15 have come out!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Night Rider gained several songs for his journey. The poll for the 12th Music Contest has started. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Music Contest #12 - Poll

Discussion in 'The Arena' started by NightStalker, Aug 9, 2019.

?

Cast your vote on 1 entry (READ THE RULES below before voting)

This poll will close on Aug 23, 2019 at 6:08 PM.
  1. Brambleclaw - Cybernetic Journey

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Calciumcarbonat - Synth Wave Hive

12.5%
  3. deepstrasz - Aimless

31.3%
  4. Donut78 - Cruisin' On Starlight

25.0%
  5. enzo2090 - Pure Mind

6.3%
  6. GhostOfPast - Synthtide

6.3%
  7. Hakren - Traveling Dreams

6.3%
  8. Its Ryan Boi - Star Gazers

12.5%
  9. Jackyy.BaDitO2 - 80s Hero

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. NightStalker

NightStalker

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    art by: Michal Kváč
    artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/aRODnR

Synthwave

Participants were to create a music piece in the style of Synthwave. Knight Rider needed a song to listen to on his journey. The day was quickly saved!
    Click to see more explanations for Synthwave.

[​IMG]

• Each user can only vote once in the poll.
    • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
    • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
    • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.
    • Judges cannot vote!

[​IMG]

• 1st place: 40 reputation points
    • 2nd place: 25 reputation points
    • 3rd place: 15 reputation points
    • Entry: 5 reputation points
    • Judge: 5 reputation points
    The three winning teams will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.​

[​IMG]

Thanks to deepstrasz for compiling and uploading the video

Name Entry
    Brambleclaw Cybernetic Journey
    Calciumcarbonat Synth Wave
    deepstrasz Aimless
    Donut78 Cruisin' on Starlight
    enzo2090 Pure Mind
    GhostOfPast Synthtide
    Hakren Traveling Dreams
    Its Ryan Boi Star Gazers
    Jackyy.BaDitO2 80s Hero

[​IMG]

• AditTechno
    • NightStalker

[​IMG]

Theme How well does it demonstrate the feeling of the theme

/15

Creativity/Originality

How original is the piece? How creative are you with the theme/instruments/etc. /10

Production
    Basically, how well does it flow? Are accents used to good effect? Do overall levels make sense? etc.

/10

Composition
    How well is it composed? Do the key changes make sense? /15
    /50

Results calculation

• Judgement: 70%
    • Poll: 30%
    FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*JudgeScore/100)

[​IMG]

The poll shall begin on 9th August 2019 and conclude on 22nd August 2019 GMT (day is included).

2. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Approved! Please read the rules before voting. Thank you :]

3. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No music video compilation @Naze?

4. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    @AditTechno @NightStalker proceed to judging while the poll is running.

@deepstrasz you could do one yourself and I'd attach it to the post ;]

May the best musician win ^^

5. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Sure but I thought the wait was also for this. I don't know if I can do it until Sunday. I need a transparent version of "Hiveworkshop Music Contest #12 - Synthwave" words/letters.

One vote is kind of killer.

Please link to the contest page.

EDIT: never mind the transparent stuff. I got it from the contest page.

6. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Done.

I don't know what's up with the low quality. I hope it's a YouTube video processing related thing, a matter of time.

7. Naze

Naze

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks deepstrasz!

Indeed the quality thing is temporary: Youtube converts your video in a few other videos with different qualities, and the one that gets ready first is of a lower quality.

8. Its Ryan Boi

Its Ryan Boi

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
  9. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ah crap. Guys, vote the song you like most and more importantly which fits the theme, please.

Anyways, judging is 70% so I'm not that worried about popularity voting. If something goes wrong, we should reduce the user vote percentage from 30 to 20% or less.

10. RED BARON

RED BARON

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    An awesome compilation of music. I was just looking for something to work to and combining pleasure with work is always the best. (Even better when I can make a tiny guessing game of who made what, based on the sound).

11. GhostOfPast

GhostOfPast

Resources:
    Template:
    Resources:
  12. Donut78

Donut78

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks @GhostOfPast

We got a good set of songs here. Great idea for the theme this time around! :smile:

13. Phantawalker

Phantawalker

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So many great tracks!) My favorite is Cruisin' On Starlight :peasant-thumbs-up:

14. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Brambleclaw's Cybernetic Journey: I'm getting AditTechno vibes listening to this. It's more atmospheric, outer space oriented. The ending is a bit abrupt maybe because it was intended to loop. Not saying it might not fit some synthwave oriented scenes but I'd see it more on something less broader like Blade Runner. Neat use of volume increase and reduction/fading. Could have had more stereophonic FX/panning.

deepstrasz's aimless: It's kind of steady. The listener gets the idea halfway through only to get more of the same. Panning and FX present. The sounding is unrefined. It doesn't really offer any atmosphere to delve into. The bass shouts for attention, the kick drum being too short to wave. In terms of following the theme, how does it, maybe in some low volume instrument?

Calciumcarbonat's Hive Wave: An energetic and concise composition, however quite too short that it gives the feeling of being unfinisehd. The ending is abrupt, possibly with the intention of the song to loop. Right on track, though too evident. It has atmosphere, nice use of synth fading and resurfacing. The percussion could have used more work to be less repetitive.

Donut78's Cruisin' on Starlight: For me, it's too much talking and not singing. Would work well over a video or as a radio story but as music, I prefer singing or just instruments. Some synths are too loud. Nice work on the percussion. A downside is that it's only two chords. Atmospheric synths, FX and all, well orchestrated, panning too and fading at the end. There's an issue with the latter that instead of the song finishing with decreasing volume, at one point some sort of phonograph quality sound can be heard until the composition stops. Obviously fits the theme in a cliche manner.

enzo2090's Pure Mind: Atmospheric, escaping the confines of the theme turning into a synthwave ballad. The bass and kick drums make their presence well known although the percussion isn't impressive but just does its job. There's left-right/right-left sound moving behaviour, volume fading. What you've used as a bridge could have been the chorus and the bridge something else, implying that the composition has its monotony dose.

GhostOfPast's Synthtide: There are interesting ideas therein. I feel it belongs more to retro-gaming genre than the required one. But let's not limit ourselves and mix (in this case, racing) games with synthwave. It has plenty of goodie FX, volume manipulations although some instruments are too loud. Towards the last part, it kind of sounds like you've tested some new plugins instead of actually playing or creating a melodic line. The end is abrupt. Seems more complex than the other compositions in structure.

Hakren's Traveling Dreams: Good use of instrument panning. Has a retro game vibe. The depicted mood ranges from chill to melancholic. In essence it's kind of short especially when the last part is another copy of the first ambiance one. Ends dully, at least the piano type FX does.

ItsRyanBoi's Star Gazers: Combines synthwave with techno/house. Generally it needs chord progression as it plays too long on the same mood and bass line. That or at least more stuff going on, shutting some instruments bringing others, adding upon. The percussion could have led the flow. Some parts of the composition sound familiar.

Jackyy.BaDitO2's 80s Hero: We'll call it synthwave due to the drums and that it uses synthesizers. The sounding is classical-Baroque music. The melodic line is too familiar, like that of many compositions during those times, Johann Sebastian Bach's too. Generally, most songs reminisce of something but this one is in your face. You should have left more time for the cymbal at the end to fade.

I would have to go with enzo2090's since it's one of the most original stuff here.
    I like most of them and will listen to them regularly as I do with the ones of the previous contests.

15. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
  16. Graetgames

Graetgames

Resources:
    Resources:
    id ather have Donut win then deepstarz because i dont know about the drum set for his song, it's not centred.

(If your wondering why, it's because I like to have MY beats centred when i am listening to songs.)