• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #1 - Poll

Vote for your favourite entry! (See the second post for videos!)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
After analyzing all the music I believe that The Rise of the Lords by VoidLordXtreme was the best suited for this theme and it sounded great. If someone made a medieval map or something like that Void's song would best fit it. Some of the songs I listened to didn't really fit the theme and sounded like random music put together [like techno]. Overall I think the contestants did a great job at composing music but only a handful put together a medieval piece.

o..m...f....g

How many times do I have to explain this? (I thought I made it very clear in the rules, obviously a less wc3 related theme is in order for the next contest).

The contest was to make a music piece that fits the theme of a race from wc3 lore, thus as long as you could relate your piece to the race in some way, it doesn't matter what style music you made.

For example:
Let's say I chose the theme of elementals
Their magic right? So I would like something mystical sounding
I could use a harp, but I feel the synth with the delay on it would sound more mystical
My end piece is electronic and slightly techno-ish, but it sounds mystical and has an erratic nature just like that of the elementals.

This is perfectly fine

The contest was to make music that fits the theme, not to make music that fits Wc3 game music

Thus as long as your creative with it, you could interpret this many ways.

P.s.
Sorry If It seems like I've exploded on you, but I've explain this to every single person who's either entered this contest or listened to a wip. I've had every newb (not necessarily meaning you) and their brother ask me how to enter, or why doesn't this sound like wc3 music simply because their too f@#$ing lazy to read the d@#$ rules which explicitly state how to enter, why to enter, when to enter and what to enter.

P.s. 2
I'm not bashing midevil music either, I'm just saying your free to whatever style you may choose.

Level 8
Lol yeah I read it but usually medieval theme suits the races, thus why I'm expanding on it. Sorry if I may have implied that I didn't vote for the others because their not medieval enough. It's just to me techno doesn't justify a race.

Level 19
Lol yeah I read it but usually medieval theme suits the races, thus why I'm expanding on it. Sorry if I may have implied that I didn't vote for the others because their not medieval enough. It's just to me techno doesn't justify a race.

Same for me.
It's a matter of taste, and there are still people out here that don;t like tecnho'ish music. And I think there is nothing to worry about for people here that make techno music because the majority of people here do like it.
And my opinion is. To make a music piece fit with a certain race you gotta make music that fits the time that race is in. And since we're playing a fantasy medieval game my opinion is that heavy guitar sounds or electronic stuff doesn't fit the picture. Maybe that's the reason why background music (Yes yes yes I know this wasnt a background music contest!!! yesyes!!!) in games like wc3 is never with electronic sounds.:)

Well the thing is something like electronic music for elementals (I keep using this example because it's one of the best I can think of) fits very well. Something medieval would work well for humans because thats the type of music they would have, while putting medieval music for like the trolls wouldn't exactly sound right as they are more of a primal race, thus they would strike me as they would have more like jungle beats and such.

Of course once again this is all up to opinion.

Level 19
Well the thing is something like electronic music for elementals (I keep using this example because it's one of the best I can think of) fits very well. Something medieval would work well for humans because thats the type of music they would have, while putting medieval music for like the trolls wouldn't exactly sound right as they are more of a primal race, thus they would strike me as they would have more like jungle beats and such.

Of course once again this is all up to opinion.

Agree with the opinion part.:)
If I would make a track for elementals I would ofc use mysterious sounds but make use of ambient effects like the sound of floating water or burning flames in the background. but well thats an opinion:D:D

Level 6
wait, is this poll open until 24th?
well damn, hope i can fix my windows until then :/ . I still haven't heard any of the songs with the exception of the tauren theme :mad:

(which i heard before the poll was opened and before i had to format my computer)

My OS right now is linux, and i can't download and instal the latest flash player due to some errors (apparently, my computer doesn't recognize any of the extensions for the files).
I have a virtual windows on the linux as well, but i can't install and drivers on it cause it's just a virtual machine (well, my brother who knows a bit about computers told me so, and he isn't here at the moment :/ )

So, any ideas how to fix any of them?

Level 10
Well, I don't know Linux in detail, but did you try to install drivers? This should be possible, virtual machine or not, I think. Windows would not work if it did not feel as if everything were like a normal computer it runs on, so it should be able to install drivers, too, to allow you to use the hardware it thinks to be run on.

Anyway, if you get connected to the internet (it seems this is no problem) you should be able to download the necessary components and tools to extract the zip-file attached to the first post in this thread and play the included music files (only Furbolg is WMA-Format, everything else is MP3). Also Windows (even on your virtual machine) should be able to do the same, as soon as you get any kind of sound out of it.
So good luck while trying and enjoy the music! :wink:

Level 6
well, i got my hands on a windows CD, and i got everything working properly... checking out the songs now :) (pyrrhic victory seems very nice, think my vote would go for that :D )
Rise of the lords sounds good too... but kinda generic
So my vote deffinitely goes for pyrrhic victory. Kinda unique, not overusing a lot of instruments (like i did >.<), and overall nice.

Level 19
Come on guys please stop slacking.
You will probably think I'm annoying now but if you accept the task of being a judge it's not just the fact that you're able to say things about other people's work which ofc is a nice privilege but there's also a part that you got to do something for it. Please post your judge results asap because well... It's taking very long and if I would've been a judge I would've been done already.

Level 19
Well just come with a date when we will have to expect the results.
You were talking about a deadline but didn't reply when I asked when that deadline is.
People put work into those compositions and you gotta understand they would love to see if their work is worth good or bad credit.;)

Level 4
I think the drum roll player died playing a drum roll this long... Almost 10 days past the deadline for judging results, vacation or not a responsibility is a responsability, if you can't get results for something why do you even want to turn something in?
I understand it takes time but you have had more than enough, I'm about ready to forget the contests after this becuase this is bull.

Where are the results???!!

Level 19
Is there a results page?
I thought the judges would just post their stuff in this thread.
Well oke I just hope it wont take that long anymore.
I've practically forgotten every entry already and well... I don't care anymore while I wanted to win 2 weeks ago:p

Status
Not open for further replies.