• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

"Multiple map" in one map (how did WC3 do it), possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Is it possible to have "multiple maps" (completely different terrain) in one SC2 map?

Is it possible to change everything related to the terrain through triggers (or some way while the map is already loaded) ?

In WC3, there were a lot of maps which had "multiple maps" in one (EotA: Twilight is a good example). EotA Twilight (for example) had one really big maps, and multiple medium sized map in one.

Is it possible in SC2? I know about limiting the camera view however that isn't that limited to the 256x256 map space still?

Level 5
im pretty sure it was done in Warcraft 3 because there was a 13-space limit on terrain textures, so they would just have like 8 textures for the normal map and reserve 5 for the alternate mode, like in DotA there is a mode where the terrain is snow.

Default grass = 2 (cliff tile)
Default dirt = 2 (cliff tile)
Normal road = 1
Thick grass = 1
Rough dirt = 1
------------------ Above this line is the textures of normal DotA map
------------------ Below this line is textures that are used in snow mode
Normal snow = 2
Snowy dirt = 2
Ice = 1
Rocky snow = 1

These are ALL part of the map, add up to 13, but some aren't used in normal mode

I don't think SC2 has terrain texture preload slots because SC2 doesn't use tiles

With the WCX editor tool (I think it's called) you were able to create a map larger than the specified with the normal editor.
I think what most people did was just make different areas around the map and then use triggers to restrict camera views to that area of the map.
You were also able to use whatever terrain texture you wanted with WCX, instead of just the ones available for that map type.
To my knowledge, such an editor does not exist for SC2.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
EotA did it by breaking the map into 4 sections and each was a different playfield. WC3 definatly did not support multiple maps in 1. However SC2 does support that approach as both Night ops and the secret mission from the campaign use this.

You can not alter cliff height ingame, nor can you alter the terrain (you can however paint over the terran on medium or better graphics and change the terrain mesh height).

Muliple maps is just impossible cause it would have to load all of them at once which would be very demanding on memory for something that may never be used.

SC2 is rumoured to support forced map loading to other maps in multiplayer however and banks would allow data to be transfered. This would allow you to potentially have a campaign that progresses mission to mission in multiplayer (each time needs a map load though). I think there are still a few problems with it but hopefully some expansions will solve all issues.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
In Warcraft, you could have changed and detected terrain texture with triggers, so for just a texture change, you didn't need any palette slots. That's not possible anymore, unless you use decals, which may be slower to render. (propably)
Trigger texture changes to new terrains required free palette slots inorder to work. If all palette slots were used in the editor (via JNGP as I believe normal WE kept some free) or ingame via previous terrain texture changes, then the terrain texture change would change to a random texture from those loaded and not the 1 specified.

Ofcourse you can always change terrain textures to any in the palette you have choosen all the time.

Decalls should not be too slow. Firstly you would use largish ones so there would be not too many. Secondly, even WC3 supported this approach so it can not be too cutting edge or demanding to render.

Level 12
I am pretty sure I was able to change the texture to whatever I wanted. I had 12/13 palettle slots filled, all of those textures used somewhere on the map, and still I was able add 7 new textures though triggers (it's the dungeon lords map in my sig - I use different ground texture for each room)

On the topic: The downside of splitting map in 4 is minimap, you won't be able to change it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
In SC2 you can change the mini map ingame... Look at secret mission or night special forces.
In WC3 you obviously have not tried the terrain natives much. Just keep adding new textures (not ones already in your map, new ones) and you will see that eventually it gets forced to place a random texture as no more slots are available. Slots will also not unload once filled. So you can not remove tiles from slots to allow new different ones.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The actual limit I imagine is 16 slots. This would make the most sense as powers of 2 are easiest to deal with in computer science.

You must remember that blight and probably an unknown terrain take up the other 2 slots.

A lower level editor (custom made) may allow access to these slots.

Level 2
I have to wonder, is he thinking of the kind of thing they did with exodus of the horde custom campaign, where you had a base map and then it loaded into several other mini maps? You were unable to use those triggers in multi-player, but for single player it was very nice to make large expansive maps.

I haven't a clue if you can still do this in Starcraft II but i would think it was possible somehow being that they expanded on the editor at least for single player.

Status
Not open for further replies.