• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

MS3D Conversion Difficulty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hello guys. I just recently got into modeling and I'm trying to convert a MS3D file to a mdl/mdx on so I can use it for WC3. I checked other threads for help but it didn't help much.

Firsty I tried downloading milkshape and I couldn't use the save or export option because I had to pay 35 dollars to register for it so is there any free program to do it?

I also used the model editer version 1.05 and for some reason I was only able to convert it by overwriting because of this error.

Code:
Unable to Save (File Path) Unknown Extention "ms3D"!

Because of this I just replaced one I downloaded from the net with the model but then when I import it to Wc3 it only gave me a green box with no model. My model included textures so I turned them to blps but it didn't work either. Is it because the animations didn't upload properly? Can someone please tell me so I can start in my modeling?

Thank you in advance.

Level 17
I'm having a similar issue. I have a registered copy of Milkshape though. I can't get the Exporter to show up in Milkshape (I believe it also includes an importer). If you solve the issue could you email me? I sent you a message with my email. If you do the same, I'll tell you what to do to get the importer/exporter to show up in the list if I figure it out.

[Edit]: Here's a link to the plugins http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=86308

Level 17
There we go. Milkshape version, screenshot of folder with the dll, export list, import list.

FYI I run XP Pro, not Vista. I just have Vista Cursors and a Vista skin which makes my XP less ugly.

I have the dll in the main milkshape folder and its done.

Hey umm with Zero Vertex stuff. If I import a model to Milkshape that already has animations do they all get fucked up? or can I import a model to Milkshape to edit the animations and just zero theverts before I start changing shit. I'm guessing I can't do that but I figure its worth asking.

[Edit:] Hmm. Hive has garbled my perfectly legible 15 color 23.8k gif file with jpg compression. I hope you can read it.
[Edit 2:] I'm trying to reupload a shrunken 14 color gif version which should be smaller and more readable.

[Edit 3:] やった! It worked this time! 14 colors and under 25k. It only took me like 12 tries to upload the damn thing. (and if you cant see the japanese it says Yatta! - which means "I DID IT!")

Attachments

• Milkshape.gif
    Milkshape.gif
    19.7 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
Level 9
If you import, it only imports the mesh, it will not import the skeleton or the animations. If you want to do that, you have to have 3DS Max 5, and I myself don't have it, and I dunno where to get it. Saddens me, but it's true :(

anyways, as for the zero joints, first rig your skeleton and when you're all ready to animate, hit the animate button, adjust your max keyframes BEFORE you start animating, just incase.
I've heard many stories of people adding them later and those joints not getting zero'd.
And then finally after all that, and right before setting any keyframes, use the Zero Joint tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.