• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

MPQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Ok so I'm requesting help

I've created a new .mpq file with Ladik's MPQ Editor. (in the warcraft III folder)

I've added some files, but now I wonder how I could make it work. if I open WE, and wish to change the art- model file value, I can't find the imported model file again. If I try and use a custom path, it doesn't work either.

What should I do to be able to use the files in the custom mpq?

I can open the .mpq with winmpq, mpqmaster, etc, so basically I think it's imported the right way. now I just need to know how I can actually use the files in a map.

help is much appreciated

Level 21
is it possible to be any more specific? I don't know where and what I should change into war3 and what should come behind

ok I'll try and reformulate my question in the case that you misunderstood me

1) If you want, for example, change the model of a unit in world edit, the model is loaded from war3.mpq (or war3x, ...), right? the model is not really stored in the map but in the mpq (because otherwise a map would be like 250 Mb big)

2) If I wish to make my own mpq (like war3.mpq), how should I do that? I've already created it, I've added some files, but now I should know how to use them in world edit...

EDIT: After reading your post again, should the custom mpq I made (called custom.mpq) be renamed into "war3custom.mpq" ? is that what I should do?

Level 3
Maybe just try to add your files to already existing archives (war3xlocal is the best I think)

You coud also try to use MPQ-draft to create SelfExecute MPQ

If you want to add your own files to mpq you could replace the alrady existing mpq with old and new files. (to create your own mod)

You should remember that war3patch is the most important mpq (warcraft at first check if the file with is seeking for, is not in war3patch.mpq) Next one are war3x, war3xlocal and war3.

(I dont know with is more important war3xlocal or war3x)

There is also way to use warcraft hacks, but I dont know how to use them.
(you can find war3 hack on wc3c)

Level 21
ok could someone tell me how I add a model to the mpq?

here's what I do:

I downloaded for example "Incursor" (I forgot who made it, it's here on the website)
I open war3.mpq, I add Incursor.mdx, Incursor_Portrait.mdx, incurs.blp, add a texturefolder, import the 4 textures in it.
I close war3.mpq
I open world edit, and I can't find the model. Custom path doesn't work either...

what did I forgeT?

Level 3
Check once again where did you add those files.

But if nothing is working, you could extract all files from MPQ, add your files to folder where you extracted it, and created new archiw from those files.

Make sure to change file limit (if you are using WinMPQ it is somwher in options)

Level 25
Yes, just rename it to war3custom.mpq. No need to import to a local file

Based upon my knowledge in the subject, that should allow that unit to be in the mpq. It worked for the DoC beta, it should work for you

Adding to local isn't the best way because of Blizzard's anti-modified MPQ statements. Curse them

Level 21
ok so here's what I did:

created war3custom.mpq

made a new folder "Units"
imported incurs.blp, incursor.mdx, incursor_portrait.mdx
created a folder in the units folder named "textures"
added the other 4 files to that texture folder

and still the model does not appear in the fcking worldedit... is there something I should first enable before I can use the model?

Level 21
ok could you (mecheon) or someone else please create their own custom mpq, add a model, then send it to me? this way I can test if the problem lies with me or with the World Edit. also I could just try to import the files the same way you did.

many thanks.

(vanbebar at hotmail dot com)

Level 25
MjhaL said:
Mecheon said:
Adding to local isn't the best way because of Blizzard's anti-modified MPQ statements. Curse them

What statements? Do you know where I could find this? Is it in licence, or somewhere else??

It was all the rage back in the day, dunno if anything else is still around

And no, I can't make a custom mpq. But it should work

You are typing in the path manually in the Appearance part, right?

Level 21
no, if the path would be "textures/skin.blp" then I make a subfolder called textures ...

but even then, if I import a model in the mpq, the least that should happen should be that it shows up in the list of models, right? right now, appart from not working, it doesn't even show up at the list in the object editor

Status
Not open for further replies.