• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

MPQ recovery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
i was just wondering about how someone said u cant recover cd-keys and thought "well then how does it know your cd-key wen going to bnet", so maybe the cd key is stored in the war3.MPQ file. could someone with experiance in mpq's look, i might accidentaly delete something if i try to. PLEASE DONT LOCK THIS AS I AM TALKING ABOUT RECOVERY NOT ASKING FOR ONE.

Level 3
im talking about recovering cd-keys off an old hard drive. i think the cd-key is still there. the only place i can think blizzard would store your cd-key after your game is installed is your war3.mpq file. could someone with experience please look in the war3.mpq file to see if your cdkey is there, and if it is could u pm me instructions on how to get it please.

Level 4
Blizz store it in a compressed file in the mpq, so unless you can A) find that file, and B) uncompress it (have no idea what program to use) then your basically screwed, if it was a .ini based game, it would be staring you in the face right now, but blizz are smarter than that, thier way used to reduce key theft by remote access

Level 22
Just shell out the 15 dollars and get another copy. You should be happy that is all you have to pay for your clumsyness. In my old line of work, if you lose something, you have to give up two months salery and possible reduction in rank (thousands of dollars). Count your blessings and learn from your mistake.
-VGsatomi

Level 9
Why dont you try typing other WC cd key from your friends maybe this will work. Like when i bought the game spellforce(original) it has no cd key so i went back to the store but they did not allowed me to purchase another game to replace the spellforce instead they just opened another spellforce to look its cd key & they said i should just copy & use it-then it worked. I dont know if this should work for blizzard's product or perhaps it worked because ive just bought the copy...so i was a fool then!

Level 13
-_-

Don't talk about things you don't know. Blizzards CD-key system differs from the general. Of course after installing it you can use any WC3-cd to play, but that's not what we're talking about. For installing, you need the CD's specific CD-key, not any key from any other cd. That's how Blizzard keeps the control about users in b.net. The key-ban Blizzard uses for cheaters won't work that efficiently if the cheater could simply reinstall WC3 and use another key for his CD. The key is unique to the CD, so if the key is banned, he'll never be able to play with this CD again, he would need to buy a new one.

Level 3
im asking someone experianced in MPQs to look in the war3.mpq file to see if its there. if i do it i might accidentaly delete something important. and im a kid, i dont have an extra 15 bucks, im not made of money

Level 9
DarkShadow said:
-_-

Don't talk about things you don't know. Blizzards CD-key system differs from the general. Of course after installing it you can use any WC3-cd to play, but that's not what we're talking about. For installing, you need the CD's specific CD-key, not any key from any other cd. That's how Blizzard keeps the control about users in b.net. The key-ban Blizzard uses for cheaters won't work that efficiently if the cheater could simply reinstall WC3 and use another key for his CD. The key is unique to the CD, so if the key is banned, he'll never be able to play with this CD again, he would need to buy a new one.

(Just a clarification)
What if you bought a new original WC3&WCFT & burned them before you have installed the cds then gave the burned cds to your friend. So the question now becomes, can the two of you register under the same cd key?

Level 13
What if you bought a new original WC3&WCFT & burned them before you have installed the cds then gave the burned cds to your friend. So the question now becomes, can the two of you register under the same cd key?

Guess what will happen when b.net detects the same cd-key two times. The key will be blocked asap, so you won't be able to use it.

Level 22
pay 10 bucks for a new one after u send in your cd-case or manual
Code:
That applies to those who had their keys leaked so they dont lose their account when someone else signs on with the same key. 

15 bucks isnt the end of the world. Like I mentioned before, you should be happy thats all you have to pay for loosing something you shouldnt. So take the the hint. Locked.
-VGsatomi

Status
Not open for further replies.