• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

MPQ Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hey. I was hoping someone could help me. On all files within the maps editor (when you open the map with mpq) I need to know what each file does.
War3map.j
War3map.w3e
war3map.w3h
war3map.w3q
war3map.w3t
war3map.w3u
war3map.wct //I think this has to do with the triggers
war3map.wtg
war3map.wts
war3mapExtra.txt
war3mapMisc.txt
war3mapSkin.txt

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The 2 files with the same size uncompressed but different compressed sizes are the map terrain data and shadow data respectivly.

The shadow data file usually compresses to a few bytes unless you have filled it which generally is not recommended as the results are poor.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
They are all automatically compressed as they are in an mpq archive (they are more than databased, they are hashed compressed archives). If you want better compression, optimize the map with vexorian's optimizer which uses better kinds of compression.

Sadly all really powerful newer compression types are not supported by WC3 (no algerthimic compression used by programs like 7z), so you just have to go with the kinds available.

Status
Not open for further replies.