• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Moving textures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I read the Animated Textures Tutorial but I still cant figure out how to do moving textures as I want.

The problem starts here:
Code:
100: { 0, 0, 0 }
250: { 0, 0.8, 0 } 
251: { 0, -0.8, 0 } 
500: { 0, 0, 0 }

Ok, the first number is the keyframe but what are the next three ones in brackets? I experimented a lot with it but couldnt get it to work on my model (basically just a flat rectangle on the x/y axis)

Is there any indepth tutorial or can you explain me what the numbers mean? If possible for Rotation and Scaling too..

Level 8
They look like coordinates of some sort, but on the other hand they are called TVertexAnimation... which would require only two coordinates since you can only move in U/V direction, which is also what the first two values seem to do.
I never used this a lot, all material animations I did so far were with nonstatic textures.
Gonna try around a bit.

Edit:
The first number moves the texture in X(or U)-direction, the second number in Y(or V)-direction.
They range from -1 to 1, so if you want to "slide" the whole texture through the geoset make a linear movement from -1 to 1, using the first number in the brackets for horizontal movement and the second for vertical movement.
I tried around with the third one a bit, but I haven't seen any effect on the texture.

Edit 2:
A gif says more than a thousand words.
The model is a simple rectangle with the ping circle texture centralized.
(if anyone tells me how to do spoilers I'll use them, but right now they're not even 1MB together so I hope they aren't too annoying)

TVertexAnim_U_01.gif

TVertexAnim_V_01.gif

If you put these:
Code:
WrapWidth,
WrapHeight,
in the texture information, they fill empty space by repeating the texture.

Last edited:
Level 12
Okay, thanks a lot. My test also didnt show any use of the third number in brackets.

Do you have any information about rotation?
The scheme for rotation is
Code:
0: { 0, 0, 0, 0 }

I tried looking into wc3 models but none seems to use this : (

Level 8
Yeah I spent a lot of time checking rotations, but I don't know much.
I mostly edit them using trial-and-error, or using some templates I took out of WC3 models (for example a 360° rotation over time which I got from lightning shield.

I am pretty sure that they use quaternions, but I fail to understand how they work.

Level 12
Okay, I found this here:
http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=79038

I read it and tried a simple rotation as given there as example but my texture did not move a bit : (

e:when you say you edit them using trial-and-error, can you give me an example that works? I need a very easy rotation..

Last edited:
Level 8
e:when you say you edit them using trial-and-error, can you give me an example that works? I need a very easy rotation..
Well I just played around with values and checked what happened.
It's actually not too difficult, once you got something moving into the right direction you can just decrease/increase the values until it fits.
Should use linear interpolation for that, of course.

One example would be a "Reaper's Scythe" swing I made:
Code:
Rotation 7 {
		Linear,
		0: { 0, 0, 0, 1 },
		600: { -0.2, 0, -0.4, 1 },
		1200: { -0.4, -0.1, -0.8, 1 },
		1300: { 0, 0, -0.3, 1 },
		1400: { 0, 0, 0.1, 1 },
		1500: { 0.4, -0.1, 0.5, 1 },
		2000: { 0.4, -0.1, 0.5, 1 },
	}

I planned how it should look like, i.e. where it should be at which time, started with the extreme positions like the starting point, the final haul-off-point etc. and interpolated a bit until I was content with it.

Here's what I had in the end (only the scythe without proper materials here, not all the effects and transparency and stuff):
Scythe.gif

(gif doesn't have many frames, looks quite smooth ingame or in the editor)

Looks a bit weird now that I know what the values mean of course... had basically no idea what I was doing back then, as you can see when checking the 4th coordinate.

Level 12
Ok thank you for the example.

I know now why my rotation didnt work at all. Somehow the Texture animation Id which I can choose in the 'Material Manager' is never the same like the one in the 'Texture Animation Manager'.

Do you know how I can fix this? I know how to convert to mdl and open it.

Level 12
Hm ok, could you explain what I have to do?

Here my problem in detail:

In 'Material Manager' in the only material I use I can choose as 'Animated Texture ID' the 'TextureAnimation 0165BB98'.

But in the Texture Animation Manager' my actual animation is 'TextureAnimation 0166BB30'

e: wait, what is this? All other example models I use which use translation as texture animation also have different IDs in those two places but work -.-....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.