• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mortar Ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hey all,

So I wanted to make a mortar-type ability, but don't know how to go about it.

The ability would go as follows:

Point-target
Fires a projectile (with a lofty arc) at designated point
Upon impact, cause AoE damage to both enemy and friendly ground units

Also, I would like the projectile to be affected by point defense drone (can be shot down out of the air)

How would I go about making this? I don't need someone to make it for me, just tell me what is needed, I'll figure it out from there.

p.s. I'm new to the data editor, but would like to use it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Break it down into steps.

1. Point target ability. Create a new point target ability and configure it to behave like you want.
2. Fires a projectile. Get the ability to run a new missile effect. The missile effect needs a new unit missile to fire. The missile effect fires at the target point.
3. Damage all units. As that is not possible by itself you will need to first get all units and run an effect. Create a new area search effect and add it to the impact effect of the missile effect. You then configure the area search to select all viable targets in the appropiate radius
4. Damage a target. Create a new damage effect and configutre it appropiatly. Add it to the area search iteration effect.

If a point defense turret destroys the missile it cannot impact and thus no extra design is needed for that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.