• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mordor Terraining Effort

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hello fellow rookies and proffesional terrainers!

This is my humble effort of depicting Mordor!

Mordor 1

ceM2Z.jpg

Mordor 2

yO3u3.jpg

Mordor 3

MdG3r.jpg

Mount Doom

9VVoO.jpg

Mount Doom Entrance

f91Ps.jpg

Mount Doom Entrance Vol 2

nptFF.jpg

Mount Doom Entrance Vol 3 (lol)

0dMXo.jpg

Mount Doom Inside

UrMMW.jpg

hOOgs.jpg

D6xoW.jpg

E1VjC.jpg

c8DaO.jpg

jzU0v.jpg

HiJIq.jpg

oWCVE.png

Thanks to DungeonM for his work on the UTM

Thanks to olofmoleman for his Bara'Dur Model

Update Credits:
Bernkastel for giving me these awsome rocks and suggestions.
RedClaw for suggestions.
gorillabull for suggestions.
sonofjay for suggestions.
marko9for suggestions.
edo494 for suggestions.
Dr. House for suggestions.
shadowfox04 for suggestions.

Complete remade of the Terrain, using different set of tiles, using different doodadds, enchanching the sky, creating bar'a'dur from scratch with doodadds.

Please tell me what you think, what you think i could change to make it better, what i have to pay attention that i currently don't so i can be better.

PS: When you hammer me have in mind that my laptop is BRILLIANT!

KKr5V.jpg

Last edited:
Level 8
I wouldn't want to be an ass. But I will counter everyone elses opinions with:
No. It's only spamming certain doodads, which doesn't make it good at all.

I also wouldn't want to be an ass, and i accept every opinion good of bad, but it has happened that i have seen many posts you have made, and all of them follow this certain line. Being an ass. So instead of being an ass, tell me what you dont like specific, or dont talk at all. As i said, i am a rookie, and this is a humble effort. You remind me of the reasons i never participated in this forum. So if you dont want to help me get better, dont talk to me. I came here because i wanted to get better, and learn more.

Level 23
if only I could make terrain like you :D
this file will let you make any high(teoretically) mountain you want
you must insert it in UI folder in Warcraft 3 folder(if you dont have it create one) and it will allow you to make a lot of things.

Attachments

• MiscData.txt
    9.6 KB · Views: 140
Level 18
I don't recall myself being very ill-mannered lately, but if that's the way you perceive it, I guess that has to be that way.
What makes me go like this is mostly the reason that I cannot stand people telling how great every single thing is that comes on this very section.

Do not make such edges with the raise tool like you've done, it'll look blocky.
Restrain from using blizzard rock models, as they're... Well, ugly.

Use a bit less glows on the lava streams to make it look a bit better, Use glows to create a more interesting looking sky.

Make the parts where the fire comes out have some sort of cracks .

Raise some points of the ground so it'll not be all the way flat.

And on the inside, I'd suggest to use the waterfalls that you can find in the utm, but replacing the wave texture with alpha. Also making huge blizzard rocks stretches the texture into a horrible state.

Also as for myself, I dislike the fire that has the smoke. I'd recommend using the one without it.

Level 18
Looks very nice yet it's sad that the quality of the doodads are horrible, perhaps find proper models to replace them with if possible. Also you might want to use the smooth tool for certain parts of your terrain like for example the entrance towards mount down. And yeah like has been said before spend more time on the camp and add som units in it as well to give it a more detailed and alive look.

Level 28
I wouldn't want to be an ass. But I will counter everyone elses opinions with:
No. It's only spamming certain doodads, which doesn't make it good at all.

Geez, why are you damn strict? Is newbs like him don't deserve to have reply saying his terrain is good? You have high class, I might want to look some of you work sometimes. I know his work is not that good, but I don't want to discourage this guy by saying those rude words.

Level 8
I don't recall myself being very ill-mannered lately, but if that's the way you perceive it, I guess that has to be that way.
What makes me go like this is mostly the reason that I cannot stand people telling how great every single thing is that comes on this very section.

Do not make such edges with the raise tool like you've done, it'll look blocky.
Restrain from using blizzard rock models, as they're... Well, ugly.

Use a bit less glows on the lava streams to make it look a bit better, Use glows to create a more interesting looking sky.

Make the parts where the fire comes out have some sort of cracks .

Raise some points of the ground so it'll not be all the way flat.

And on the inside, I'd suggest to use the waterfalls that you can find in the utm, but replacing the wave texture with alpha. Also making huge blizzard rocks stretches the texture into a horrible state.

Also as for myself, I dislike the fire that has the smoke. I'd recommend using the one without it.

Now thats a constructive answer! Thank you!

First of, something i forgot to say. The part of the screenshots, with the gate of the mountain and the inside, i made them a while ago, and i dont have the map to remake them :(

I also acknowledge that blizzard rocks look ugly, but i can't seem to find descent rocks in different colors..
if you could help me in that it would be awsome!

Glows for the sky, what size would you recommend for those glows?

It has cracks, the doodadd cracks if thats what you mean, lots of them

From what I recall Mordor was a plane and it was a barren flat wasteland so I wanted to be as close as it would get.

Again for the inside i would change it, but I dont have it any more :( Just posted it because it was relevant :p

I wanted to find a descent smoke for the volcano mountain.. I tried to make black glows or at least gray so I would use those, but I can't figure out how to make them black :(

Looks very nice yet it's sad that the quality of the doodads are horrible, perhaps find proper models to replace them with if possible. Also you might want to use the smooth tool for certain parts of your terrain like for example the entrance towards mount down. And yeah like has been said before spend more time on the camp and add som units in it as well to give it a more detailed and alive look.

Got it!

This is truly amazing jay but i would recommand putting a bit lesser tents and all of them facing random directions.The mordor isin't quite organised XD

You have a point here :p

Level 18
I'd recommend using these rocks with putting them in certain angles, to create Mount Doom, and regulary using them for rocks and that. I would say that creating Barad-dûr from doodads would be better. But ofcourse again, I couldn't put things like that for people new with terraining to do.

And I mean cracks with using alpha texture and placing rocks on it with a space in the middle creating a crack to the ground.

The size of the glows using for the sky is your own decision, you may use bigger ones or smaller ones, but I'd really suggest going with big ones when the sky won't be having a lot of different colors. Also ofcourse make sure you use the cloud models in different tints infront of the glows, else the glows are no good.

And as for Mordor,
Mordor.jpg
is plain, that's true. But still it's not completely flat, the ground has a lot of parts that are raised a bit, and there are rocky areas here and there.

There's a black glow model, but I dislike it a lot myself, and I don't actually have a pretty good idea how to make the top part look good, as I had this volcanic smoke model which I remembered as a good one, but now that I just checked it was actually pretty horrible. You could ofcourse try and make a good looking eruption with the explosion models you can find here from the hiveworkshop.

If there's anything unclear, please say so.

And I guess I'll apologize the way I acted when I came here, but useless comments telling how good something is and then mentioning the same thing over and over again is not helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.