• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Moon View

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just another terrain...

Comments and crits would be appreciated of course.

Attachments

• Nature.png
    Nature.png
    2 MB · Views: 192
Level 28
Just saw this. Obviously you managed to do some nice effects with the moon and the piercing rays of light, I liked them. However I'm not sure it looks convincing as a moon, and as a night scene overall. Everything's too bright. Maybe the sky should be much blacker, and the fog you applied too.

Night scenes aren't an easy trick to pull out, specially one heavily based on lighting effects such as a moon piercing light from behind clouds, so it's just natural that it's gonna give you more work. Other than that, the foliage is okay, a little bit too bright though, and the foliage in the background could be smaller and more clustered so it looks distant. Aaaand the light and cloud effects look pretty as I already mentioned.

Naze put it quite well for you. However I will built upon it further.

The eerie End of The World feeling is quite nasty in this one. You should consider adding 2 or 3 layers of mountains in the background to further add depth and distance to your terrain. Not too jagged, but a bit high enough so that it snuffs that ugly line from sight.
Scale is another issue that we must deal with when doing scenic terrains. The 'bush' and some trees on the right part are so over-scaled that they pry out your eyes if you examine them for more than a mere glance.
Not to mention that the stretched textures are so obvious at large scales. Careful how much you size up your models and where you places them.

We generally place low quality textured models far away, preferably in the background while those with acceptable and/or higher quality texture are placed in midground and foreground if they're clear enough.

I also think that the forest could use some variation. I'd say that the foreground is in dire need of more tree models, rocks scattered around and fixed tinting.
You could make multiple variations of these models with different tinting, placing them around the forest to give it more color.

As for the sky, I am not really a huge fan of using the skybox, at least not during night settings since it tends to mess up the effects and different models that are placed in front of it.
I think that you could've just used a moon model for the 'actual' moon and add less pronounced rays to the clouds. Would've helped your sky so much more.

Anyway, not bad for a first try. Keep at it :]

Status
Not open for further replies.