• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Monster Slayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hi.

I would like to share with the community the ideas of the proyect I'm currently working on. I started with it like two months ago, and it's still in very early stages of development, but I hope it'll soon grow up.

titlean.jpg

by NarGalloth

gameoverview.jpg

Monster Slayer is a Turn-Based RPG for Single Player. The player will engage in combat with the enemies he encounters during his trails, and will have to go trough turn-based battles, casting spells or combat abilities, earning experience, and obtaining items.
Apart from the main plot, there will be a lot of secondary quests, featuring the hunt of monsters, searching for items, etc.

The game takes place in a huge world with several areas. For that reason, I'm going to make a different map for each area. The game will be released as a campaign.

mainplot.jpg

We are in the year 734, Age of the Vim. The planet has been in peace for more than an entire century, and technologies have mixed together with the ancient world, making possible the birth of The Phalanx, the leader organism, with an army that mixes the most advanced technology with magic, the most powerful military force the world has ever known. Under the vigilance of The Phalanx lives a prosperous society full of cultural diversity.
The only danger left in the whole world is the continuous growth of the monster population. To solve this problem, a huge organisation of monster-hunting agencies appeared over the entire kingdom, offering their services in exchange of money.
However, a new and unexpected threat falls over the kingdom, when misterious creatures called "Daemei", make their appearance...

maincharactersj.jpg

AELAN

Profession: Monster Hunter
Hometown: Aberilia

Although very young to be a hunter, Aelan has proved to be far more powerful than he seems to be. He usualy works alone, confronting monsters in the areas near the city of Aberilia when he is asked for.
Proud, and terribly stubborn. His personality is not of everyone's taste.
He is one of the most valuable hunters of the "Monster Slayer" agency.

RUY

Profession: Monster Hunter
Hometown: Aberilia

If Aelan was young for his job, Ruy is even younger. Although she doesn't want to recognize it, she is still learning the tips and tricks of the job. She lost her parents when she was a child, and was adopted by the "Monster Slayer" agency, which started to train her as a hunter.
She is cheerful, and extremely active, can easily irritate whoever dares to go with her to a hunt.

gamefeatures.jpg

Turn-Based Gameplay
The player will fight his enemies in turn-based battles. He will be the first one to act, and after he performs his commands, the enemy will get its turn to act. This will repeat over and over until someone loses.
PROGRESS: 90%

Third Person Camera
When the player is not fighting an enemy, he will be able to control Aelan around the world, in third person, and he will be able to move the camera as he wants. If he presses the Right or Left Arrow Keys, the camera will rotate until the keys are released. Also, if he presses the Up or Down Arrow Keys, the camera will go up or down. This will allow the player to have a good sight of the environment.
PROGRESS: 100%

Enemy Field of Vision
As the player wanders around the world, he will be constantly finding monsters and enemies. If an enemy sees the player, it will follow him. If the player touches an enemy, he will have to fight. However, the enemies will only see and follow the player if he is right in front of them. This means that if the player sneaks behind the enemy, he will not have to fight. This will allow the player to avoid engaging in combat with some extremely powerful foes.
Of course, there will be pacific creatures, that will never follow the player.
Also, some enemies will have a higher field of vision than others, making them more difficult to sneak, or even impossible.

Stats System
The classic stats of the Warcraft III heroes will be completely destroyed in this proyect. Even the concepts of impact points and mana will be destroyed.
Both characters and enemies will have six stats: Strength, Defense, Magic, Spirit, HP and MP. During battles (all of them completely triggered), the damage values, the healing power of spells... everything will be based on this stats.
Some of this information, mainly the HP and MP of characters and enemies, with their names and a representative icon, will be shown with a multiboard during every single battle.
PROGRESS: 80%

Menu System --- UPDATED
When the player is not fighting, he will can open the Main Menu with the [ESC] key. In the Main Menu, he can see the general status of his characters, and other stuff, like how much gold he has. From the Main Menu, he can go to some other sub-menus:
- Inventory: Here, the player can see the items he has, in different categories.
- Status: Here, the player can the full list of all the stats of his characters, and how much experience each of them has.
- Abilities: Here, the player can see information of all the skills his characters have, like their MP costs, their effects, their level...
- Equipment: Here, the player can equip his characters with weapons and armors, that affect directly the behaviour of the characters in battle.
- Save: Here, the player can save the game if he is in a Check-Point. (See "Save System" below)
- Bestiary: Here, the player can see a full list of all the enemies he encountered, with their stats, their weak points, their affinities...
PROGRESS: 35%

Custom Shop System
Sometimes, the player will encounter strange structures around the world, full of magic energy. If the player walks near one of these structures, he will enter the leveling menu. He will see a terrain-made screen in which he can exchange the experience the characters have earned fighting monsters. The experience can be used to level up the stats of the characters, or can be used to purchase abilities or level up the abilities he already has. Of course, the abilities will be much more expensive than the stats.
Also, in cities, the player can access the local shops, and buy items and equipment in a very similar screen. In this case, the player will have to pay with currency. Money can be obtained, for example, from treasure chests, or by selling loot obtained from enemies.
PROGRESS: 45%

Treasure Chests
The player will often find treasure chests in his travels. When he approaches a chest, it will slowly open, and the player will obtain what's within.

Save System --- NEW!
The player will NOT be able to save the game in the classic way of saving in Warcraft III. If he wants to save the game, he will have to search for a Check-Point (a floating glowing sphere), and then access to the Main Menu. There, he will have to select the "SAVE" option. He will then be able to save the game.
Also, when the player is defeated in battle, he will reappear in the last Check-Point he touched.
PROGRESS: 85%

Battle Orb System --- NEW!
When the battle begins the player can select an orb. Orbs are items found through the world, bought from shops, etc... Orbs have a general effect over all the aspects of battle, and they always have a positive effect and a negative one. For example: "Reduce the physical damage in 50% and increments the magical damage in 50%".
Once an orb is selected, it will appear in the battle data board, and can NOT be changed until the battle ends. Some enemies will also use battle orbs (most of the times, these orbs offer benefits for the enemy's battle strategy).
PROGRESS: Still in very early development

overallprogress.jpg

Here, I will divide the work in areas of the world. As I said at the beggining of the post, the world is huge and formed of several maps, so I think it will be better this way:

AREA: Aberilia City (Introductory map)
Size: 160x160
Terrain: 15%
Plot: 80%
Triggers: 30%
Cinematics: 20%

AREA: Mangron Forest
Size: 256x256
Terrain: 100%
Plot: 100%
Triggers: 80%
Cinematics: 100%

AREA: Mangron Temple
Size: 160x160
Terrain: 20%
Plot: 100%
Triggers: 15%
Cinematics: 25%

Here you have some screenshots of the proyect (finally, I decided to show them before launching the beta).
Note 1: Remember that this is a mere Work In Progress. I mean, there's a lot of things that still have to change. The models and skins shown in the screenshots are for testing the systems and the triggers, and some of them may change. I'm also planning to add a custom UI, and some more things.
Note 2: All the text shown in the screenshots is in spanish, but I will translate it to english in the beta so you can understand it correctly.

01terreno1.jpg
02terreno2.jpg

03terreno3.jpg
04terreno4.jpg
05batalla1.jpg
06batalla2.jpg

In the screenshots it's difficult to realize it, but the battles are fully animated.
07batalla3.jpg

I know that there's a green icon in the board. It's already fixed. ;)
08tienda1.jpg
09tienda2.jpg
10menprincipal.jpg
11mendeestado.jpg

Each area of the world will show a specific loadign screen when player enters it.
12pantalladecargabosque.jpg

THANKS FOR READING

As I worked through the proyect, I realized that some help could accelerate the advance of the proyect, a lot.
So, I need skinners and possibly modelers. And, of course, beta-testers.
The help of anyone skilled in these things will be extremely appreciated.

:infl_thumbs_up:

Regards

Last edited:
Level 6
Sounds awesome :) I hope this comes out soon so I can test it. ^^
But a question, how will the level up system work out?
Is it like if the hero levels up he gains a point to put out or will it be triggered to a spell or a trainer that learns the hero spells for gold?

But anyways Rep+ for trying this project it sounds awesome.

Level 9
I'm glad you like it!

Listen Linkinblade, I'll explain you the leveling system with detail:
When the characters go trough battles and kill monsters, they gain experience points. But this is ALL triggered. The experience is nothing more than an integer variable.
When you enter a stats or abilities shop, you can exchange experience points for stats, or you can use them as currency to purchase new abilities, or to increase the level of the abilities you already have.
You can increase your stats as much as you want, but of course the experience cost will be higher each time. As for your abilities, you will also need to spend experience points to level them up.
The heroes have no level! The classic leveling system doesn't exist in this proyect.

In other words, there are two forms of currency. On one side, money, used to buy items, equipment... On the other side, experience, used to make your characters more and more powerful. And both are obtained in different ways.
Do you understand now?

Regards

Level 6
I'm glad you like it!

Listen Linkinblade, I'll explain you the leveling system with detail:
When the characters go trough battles and kill monsters, they gain experience points. But this is ALL triggered. The experience is nothing more than an integer variable.
When you enter a stats or abilities shop, you can exchange experience points for stats, or you can use them as currency to purchase new abilities, or to increase the level of the abilities you already have.
You can increase your stats as much as you want, but of course the experience cost will be higher each time. As for your abilities, you will also need to spend experience points to level them up.
The heroes have no level! The classic leveling system doesn't exist in this proyect.

In other words, there are two forms of currency. On one side, money, used to buy items, equipment... On the other side, experience, used to make your characters more and more powerful. And both are obtained in different ways.
Do you understand now?

Regards

I'm glad that you've thought this through, this map could a 4/5 or even 5/5 if you fellow of the information that you have given out. GL on this.

Edit: /facepalm xD I should have read read this... seems like I skipped a part.

Custom Shop System
Sometimes, the player will encounter strange structures around the world, full of magic energy. If the player walks near one of these structures, he will enter the leveling menu. He will see a terrain-made screen in which he can exchange the experience the characters have earned fighting monsters. The experience can be used to level up the stats of the characters, or can be used to purchase abilities or level up the abilities he already has. Of course, the abilities will be much more expensive than the stats.
Also, in cities, the player can access the local shops, and buy items and equipment in a very similar screen. In this case, the player will have to pay with currency. Money can be obtained, for example, from treasure chests, or by selling loot obtained from enemies.

Level 9
I updated the main post with some stuff:
- I added two new features (marked with --- NEW!) and updated the "Menu System" feature (marked with --- UPDATED).
- I added screenshots at the end of the thread.

Please, read the last paragraph of the thread. I could need some help with the proyect. I perfectly know that this kind of proyect could be just too much for one single person, and help will be extremely appreciated.
In the last paragraph I specify what do I exactly need.

Regards

Level 9
Thank for your comments.

Right now the battle system of the game is almost finished. What's more, it's already playable. However, I won't release the beta until I finish the making of the introductory cinematic and finish fixing some mayor bugs (I hope this will take me two or three weeks).
I'm also working to make the game custom UI, and I have been retexturing a lot of buildings and doodads in order to make the cities.

The progress of this huge proyect will be slow, but I want to ensure that I make something unique. Thank you for your support.

Status
Not open for further replies.