• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mods of Warcraft = Dead Ends

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had some searches around, and I was a bit frustrated to see some huge mods of Warcraft to be dead.
Example: Reinventing the Craft.
The most disappointing part is that I checked the team's profile and their last activity was on August of 2009. I then wondered why. People start creating and modding Warcraft with enthusiasm and when they make a stand-out leap, they leave everything behind. Then, a new question rises up: "Do we really need to still mod an obsolete game?". I've been running through different RPG games out there and they provide us with great graphics and the latest technology systems and we are trying to manipulate every aspect of this old game.
I know, you are going to tell me how DotA keeps this game alive and I will agree, but even IceFrog, its second creator, expressed his denial to go on with this.

All in all, Warcraft III provided us with extra knowledge on some scripting methods, fun with changing data of a serious game and generally a new experience.

Then Starcraft 2, another game Blizzard is working on, with people planning to move on that game's editor. And then I realize that Blizzard is moving on with games and we still make use of a game that is considered even old to the company itself, bearing the glory of the 2002 year, which is 8 years ago..

I just find dead sites that had had ambitions of becoming the next top project of Warcraft III and the last news is from 2005/2006/2007. It feels weird, you know? I am asking myself why these people stopped and what did they get themselves busy with. Another example is Born²Modificate, the prior high-textured models creator and even this guy gave up. Even if a project is judged a very good one, how many people do you think they are going to experience it? I'm trying to find new people and I am seeing the same persons all the time. I have ambitions as well of creating a big project, with a history of mine and huge, like World of Warcraft's [The Blizzard's game, not the Hive Workshop hosted one (I already have made most of them up already)] and a big systems warehouse, but then I wonder: does it deserve to finally transfer everything from my notebook to this obsolete engine? Is it going to be a waste or not?

I still am in a dilemma, I see some changes going on (e.g. cJass), but nothing serious. No one seems to be extremely interested in this game anymore and I find myself disappointed with that. I have been working on this game quite a lot, I drove myself into the depths of Illidan's cage, but unfortunately, World of Warcraft continued as an extended and way better version of the Warcraft environment's history.

The community seems to decrease, I see many "Retired" titles nowadays and I'm afraid that it will be just "us and us": you all & me. Seriously, you get to Blizzard site and it says "Buy now" the Warcraft III game, along with some screenshots to lure you. Who is going to buy this game, honestly? We are having some screenshots of the latest games and if you compare them to the WC3's, it's like you compare the '95 Nintendo console with a pc game.

I know you kind of embrace my thoughts, but I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Level 7
Yeah, it's weird when you look at dead sites; especially when you're like "THAT'S AWESOME!!!one11!!!" and then you look at the date and you're like "Aww" or "!@#$%#".

About the community; seeing how a part of my friends have gone and the people going on less... And I have this feeling of "dead" when I look at the channels. Maybe it's too gray.

Though the wc3 community won't die; it will change into the sc2 one (mostly).

I, for one, will get as many of my friends on the new battle.net, where I plan to create a lasting community.

That's all I've got to say for the moment.

Level 23
If the size of a community affects your decision to mod, then you are already dead.

I still mod Warcraft III because I have not yet (and not for wont of trying) found any other game/engine with the same ease/power balance that WC3 and WE give me. The size of the community is immaterial; I mod because I want to.

Interest from a lively community is a truly wonderful thing, but it is not everything. If you make something amazing, people will find it regardless.

"Is it worth it?" If you have to ask yourself that question at all, then it clearly isn't.

P.S. Death is only the beginning.

Level 11
If the size of a community affects your decision to mod, then you are already dead...The size of the community is immaterial; I mod because I want to.

Interest from a lively community is a truly wonderful thing, but it is not everything. If you make something amazing, people will find it regardless.

"Is it worth it?" If you have to ask yourself that question at all, then it clearly isn't.

I don't subscribe to this mindset at all and if the OP is still around then I think he'll get more out of my answer than the above.

The potential audience for your game through WC3 is too small, not to mention the restrictions of the engine itself. Don't waste your time. Move onto another medium that is more accessible and/or offers less restrictions in modding. Safest bet to continue modding? SC2.

Wc3 modding is pointless, you say?
Tell that to the people who still mod SC.

Yes, and please bring them here for me to flame them. In all seriousness though, it is pointless. Whether people still do it means little...it's the quantity and quality of people doing it that counts. People still use VHS instead of DVD...

Status
Not open for further replies.