• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Models that refuse to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I've taken suggestions some users posted and ive followed them, and I auctually got one of the models I was troubleshooting with to work! Now checking back up on the model it doesn't work -_- and I think some of my problems are with just a poor fundamental understanding of how models work.
+ Do the .blp and .mdx have to have the same name?
+ What can cause a model to work fine until you Save, Close, and Repon editor? Because I'm almost positive I did nothing with it .-.
+ More of a problem with my editor, when I save a model, I have to put either .mdl or .mdx, or else it says "Error, Unknown Extension!" Don't models have to in .mdx when you import them? But if I put .mdx then after its saved n I import it, it says, "blahblah.mdx.mdx"

Thanks for any help :ogre_datass:
EDIT:
For some models, I've removed the .blp and reimported it...which has had...varying degrees of success XD One model has a spin animation that has a blue sphere around him and the blue sphere from one of his animations appeared, with his skin still being black. another model seems to work perfectly, except in the model viewer his .blp is at his feet O.O Then with most models, how it changes nothing with still black skin. Models are so confusing to me.

Last edited:
Normaly this forum is for talking of the modeling process itself, rather than models into game. You may want to make a thread in the mapping forum conscerning importing models. However, i won't leave you unasnwered. Models and their textures differ in path. Most models require that the textures they use be imported into an specific path. If you are getting your models from THW the site will tell you which paths you need for the textures. If not and the source hwere you downloaded the model didn't give you any paths then, download War3Model Editor and open the model with it, then open the Textures window and look at the paths there.

Level 5
Ah, yeah sorry about the wrong forum but oh well. Right, so if the .blp doesn't match the given path, it won't work right? Well I got them from my cousins old map, and when I viewed the model it was black. I figured it was because the path was looking for the file in the map or something. So I removed that texture and then added the same texture under the same name. So that model should work, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.