• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Mini-Contest #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. Modeling Contest #29 is coming to an end, and since the theme was heavy to the community in general, it could be a good time to host another Modeling Mini-Contest, if we have interested people.

The idea is hosting a theme of something small or easy to model, and quick, so it is lighter and more dynamic.

The theme I propose is the following:

Familiar

upload_2016-8-3_17-35-53.png

Contestants are meant to model a pet familiar - which is a subordinated secondary companion, to a hero existing in the MPQ. Example: a flying sprite to the Keeper of the Grove, a crow to the Death Knight, and so on. (The familiar is an independent model, not an attachment, or anything like that)

upload_2016-8-3_19-59-31.png

228f3daa0b1fa95bc73793e3ec347c2d.jpg

upload_2016-8-3_20-1-52.png

imp_familiar_270x310.jpg

index.php

I didn't put up the structure of a thousand themes + poll, because a direct theme proposal is a valid method of submitting contests to debate as well, and I couldn't think of many modeling mini-contest themes. And if it isn't adequate, this is the place to debate that, since it is still up to approval (Of course, you can put up your own propositions here and as discussion goes on I put it here too).

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Hi everyone. Modeling Contest #29 is coming to an end, and since the theme was heavy to the community in general, it could be a good time to host another Modeling Mini-Contest, if we have interested people.
*sniff* But what about the Joint, artist-starved Hero Contest? :<

HappyCockroach said:
The idea is hosting a theme of something small or easy to model, and quick, so it is lighter and more dynamic.

The theme I propose is the following:

Familiar

View attachment 244659

Contestants are meant to model a pet familiar - which is a subordinated secondary companion, to a hero existing in the MPQ. Example: a flying sprite to the Keeper of the Grove, a crow to the Death Knight, and so on - as Misha is Rexxar's companion on its storyline. (The familiar is an independent model, not an attachment, or anything like that)

MAGIC THE GATHERING! Palace Familiar was a hecka-sick card with the Exploit mechanic. Loved it.

Also, that's a great suggestion. 'Familiar' is nice and small, nice & simple.

HappyCockroach said:
I didn't put up the structure of a thousand themes + poll, because a direct theme proposal is a valid method of submitting contests to debate as well, and I couldn't think of many modeling mini-contest themes. And if it isn't adequate, this is the place to debate that, since it is still up to approval (Of course, you can put up your own propositions here and as discussion goes on I put it here too).

Thoughts?
Putting up a "proposition" rather than a bunch of polls? Novel idea! : P
Fine idea. Though we've talked about Mini-Modeling Contests in the past & IIRC there were several good ideas tossed around, so I'm surprised you couldn't think of enough for a Poll... No matter.

If I were to suggest alternatives, I might consider "(Legendary) Weapon", "Pygmy" (i.e. tiny-versions of units, or just tiny characters (Gnomes, Goblins, etc), or an actual race of Pygmy in Warcraft), "Critter", "SFX", "RPG (Food) Item", "Elemental-ling" (I figure an elemental is just a blob with an animated texture; a small enough "elemental summon" could be simple enough for a mini-modeling contest but interesting enough (compare Water Elemental to Lava Spawn) to garner some interest)... Stuff like that. And I didn't even check old topics. : )

But still, I think Familiar is a great idea.

Needs to exctarct hero model and add an animal to him (which will follow hero etc like in squad) or we can make this animal in a separate (which can be summon)?
As I said, it's a separate unit, as a summon. Good examples: Lava Spawn to Firelord, Carrion Beetle to Crypt Lord. No squad intended here xD

Also, that's a great suggestion. 'Familiar' is nice and small, nice & simple.

Putting up a "proposition" rather than a bunch of polls? Novel idea! : P
Fine idea. Though we've talked about Mini-Modeling Contests in the past & IIRC there were several good ideas tossed around, so I'm surprised you couldn't think of enough for a Poll... No matter.[/size]
I think doing polls have turned into a necessary bureaucracy to contests more than anything. To a Mini-Contest as this, it seems too much. I could think of other ideas too if I gave it more time, but I thought there would be nothing wrong with for once proposing a contest along with its theme, as long as the community receives it well.

Oh, I have another question, well, 4 race has 4 heroes, plus those from Taverns.
Since the theme says familiars for existing heroes in mpqs, does that mean custom hero models does not count, and also units and demi-heroes?
Yes, yes, those are 24 alternatives only for contestants. There are the campaign heroes as well, as Akama, Sylvanas Windrunner, Archimonde, Malfurion, Jaina, etc. In the end might end up as 30 options or so. I think it's an ok limit, since two contestants can do different familiars to the same hero. But we might open it up to any unit's familiar if it seems better.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I think doing polls have turned into a necessary bureaucracy to contests more than anything. To a Mini-Contest as this, it seems too much. I could think of other ideas too if I gave it more time, but I thought there would be nothing wrong with for once proposing a contest along with its theme, as long as the community receives it well.
(did you mean "unnecessary"?)
Hm. I'll move this to PMs so as not to get too bogged down. Regardless, those are my alternative suggestions.

HappyCockroach said:
Yes, yes, those are 24 alternatives only for contestants. There are the campaign heroes as well, as Akama, Sylvanas Windrunner, Archimonde, Malfurion, Jaina, etc. In the end might end up as 30 options or so. I think it's an ok limit, since two contestants can do different familiars to the same hero. But we might open it up to any unit's familiar if it seems better.
No way man, don't fold! In-game is best-game. There are loads of good options there. : )

This is basically a more vague "Apprentice" theme. I can get behind that.
Not at all. An apprentice implies it's learning something with its master. Here it's like well.. a pet or familiar. :|

Might be a creature of different nature than the master, which isn't exactly being an 'apprentice' of his/her. Could you say the Wolf companion of a hunter is his apprentice? ...or a Warlock's Imp? Would sound kinda weird... but well, you may approach the theme as you prefer, as long as you don't stretch it too far.

Modeling Contest #29 is over.. we could get this going :)

@Freddyk, a Mini-Contest has shorter deadline and generally involves easier themes - we already had critters, attachments, 128-poly models...
A pet familiar, in a sense it is a lesser unit in size and importance, could be a plausible theme for such. But thinking twice... it should have mesh/anims and all regular models have... It could make up for a regular contest. Its up to ourselves to decide.

If we think this theme is too complex for a mini-contest - and thats the kind of contest we want, we could put up something else for a theme. I had an idea, if anyone is up for it. It would be doing a Housing building. Any building meant for food supply, as moon wells, farms, burrows, etc. Simple, quick, and allows some creativity. That would mean leaving Familiar on the shelf for a regular contest coming next.

Level 51
Depends. Im not much a fan of buildings, but I'd be up for that. Although I think familars have to be at leasta bit simpler then the standard model, bc if they catch too much attention (in relatiom to the original wc3 model, their keeper) it will draw the focus on them which is not good. I guess that would increase the difficulty but also thw fun.

Depends. Im not much a fan of buildings, but I'd be up for that. Although I think familars have to be at leasta bit simpler then the standard model, bc if they catch too much attention (in relatiom to the original wc3 model, their keeper) it will draw the focus on them which is not good. I guess that would increase the difficulty but also thw fun.
I'm not a big fan of buildings either, but it's been a while since we had a building themed contest, and many people participate with much more ease in those, due to the little animation difficulty involved.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I'm a MASSIVE fan of a Building modeling Contest, Mini- or otherwise. Not enough (racial) buildings.

@Hayate & @PROXY: this is exactly the kind of thing that gives you a reason to practice! Break outta your shell & learn some new skills! ; D
(I assure you there are plenty of good ideas floating around... *cough*)

Besides, PROXY, you aren't as bad as you think. People are still using your Pandaren town hall.

Level 22
@Freddyk, a Mini-Contest has shorter deadline and generally involves easier themes - we already had critters, attachments, 128-poly models...
A pet familiar, in a sense it is a lesser unit in size and importance, could be a plausible theme for such. But thinking twice... it should have mesh/anims and all regular models have... It could make up for a regular contest. Its up to ourselves to decide.

Well, then I think Familiar fits more in mini-contest than in normal contest.
Usually in normal contests we have very complex mesh with lots of anims. Familiar is pretty close to Critter, a small and simple mesh with few anims.

Contest thread is up!

Modeling Mini-Contest #5

Go thinking up what will you'll put together. :D

I've put up the guidelines there. They feature a "mini-poll", with 20% weight, and 1 week duration, despite this being a mini-contest. Reason is, polls help giving contests more visibility too, so we gather more possible participants to next ones. Also, while judges judge, 1 week of a poll won't delay us. ;) (I've set some poll guidelines there to make it fairer too)

Officially starts Wednesday, 15, so if guidelines change a bit, not much of a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.