• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Model lights up the whole map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I have come up with a few models a problem that a model lights up the whole map.
Now, I came with the same problem with my edit of Mephestrial's Gnoll Mystweaver model (attached).
I posted a video on YouTube about it:

You can see in the video how, when the Mystweaver is trained, it will change lighting dramatically. I also tested that when the Mystweaver dies and has decayed, the light disappears.

The original Mystweaver does not have this problem. I only edited the camera with Magos' Model Editor, but it caused also this side effect.

Can anyone help me fix the problem?

Thanks a lot,
Tommi

Attachments

• GnollMystweaver-v2.mdx
    105.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Level 28
The source of this problem is due to the intensity of the lighting which lights up the entire map in the editor and in-game, To fix it you should reduce the intensity to 10 for example instead of 14 which is higher, or simply remove this lighting in the node manager directly.

The source of this problem is due to the intensity of the lighting which lights up the entire map in the editor and in-game, To fix it you should reduce the intensity to 10 for example instead of 14 which is higher, or simply remove this lighting in the node manager directly.

Any idea why the original model works and causes no problems?

I tried this as well, but it did not fix the problem.
Removing the light did, but it would be nice to have small light like in the original model.

What exactly is the problem with that model? must the intensity be 10? what are the rules? Thanks.
The original model has no problems, but the culprit was MDLX Converter, which I used to convert MDX to MDL format and vice versa. That program messed up with omnilight intensity and it became so high that the lantern omnilight lighted up the whole map.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Technically WC3 does not support intensities larger than 1.0 due to no HDR shaders. Instead what I suspect is happening is that the intensity is controlling the range of the light. The light falloff polynomial is fixed and the light intensity multiplier computed for a pixel is automatically clamped to at most 1.0 (no HDR). Hence a higher than 1.0 intensity means that the intensity multiplier will remain 1.0 for more distance.

The reason lights start to break if there are too many per vertex patch is because the fixed function shaders can only apply 8 lights simultaneously when rendering. The WC3 engine uses some selection algorithm to choose which 8 lights are used in the case of there being more than 8 lights, however it is possible it will discard the environment model lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.