• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Model Editor - Need assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! I'm new to the hive Workshop, however I'm not new to modding Warcraft III. When, some times ago, I learn that it's possibile to make your own model, I really became happy and I downloaded blender for free (blender is free...).
I learned to model (not difficult as I imagined, WarIII model doesn't need too much polygons) and to make textures (I remake texture for all Northrend terrain for my project, right now, and downloaded some other good high-def texture).

However I have a problem. Blender does not support warcraft III .mdx format. I knew that and I downloaded this:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/3ds-obj-mdx-converter-1-2-a-62950/

But it doesen't work and so I think: It's easy to make a model with blender, and so do I when I start from 0 (for doddoads and buildings, for example), but I could be even more easier, when I have to put this model on WarIII or when I have to modify a blizzard .mdx model (it's easier than making one other from nothing), to have 3ds MAX 5, with Art Tools...

I though: I'll buy it, after many years it won't cost so much. And I was right: It won't cost. Simply I CAN'T BUY IT nor DOWNLOAD IT FOR FREE. There is no way! It doesen't exist...

So, I'm disperate: Someone can help me? And I don't like free software (Magos MDVIS ecc...), they are not so powerful and not so good... -.-''
Awaiting answer...

Oh, Magos Model Editor and MDLVis are powerful enough for .mdx file format. But if you have blender 3d that can export .3ds and .obj file, much better. Have either gmax or 3dsmax. gmax is a powerful modeling tool and is a lower version of 3dsmax4. Some tools are just omitted and be sure you have neodex or dexporter to export .mdl file and later on to convert this into .mdx file.

If you can buy Milkshape 3d it is much better because it can already export .mdx file format.

EDIT:
You can download gmax here. Oh, and it is a free modeling tool.

I'll do that if I won't have any other choice... However high poly count is required if you need high definition model... For example I customize my footman in order to let his hand appear more like an hand and his arm more like an arm... Nothing special, only improving models... Damn we are in 2011 we have to keep this game alive, haven't we? :wink:

You can try exporting as .3ds/.obj and then importing into milkshape to export as .mdx. However, as far as I know there are some problems with that. Some people have worked on blender exports for .mdx in the past but none have been fully completed. I recommend that you try out milkshape 3d and see how it works for you. (just use the trial first, in case you don't end up liking it) It is pretty cheap and works well.

Milkshape seems good to me... Not so difficult to use... This evening I made a Tower (simple tower xD)... However is very slower than blender. For a simple tower, with blender (few polies for the tower), I need to spend about 10 minutes... In milkshape around 30 minutes (ok I had to learn but it is a big difference however).
Only really good think on Milkshape: Creating too much polies is not reccomanded, and so models created here suit best in Warcraft III :)

OK, so you need a real software for 3d modeling? You go here. Hive is only for Warcraft 3 and Warcraft 3 needs low poly models. I that link, you can buy 3ds max: Not only 3ds max 4 or 5 but you can download the latest which is 3ds max 2011. Now, what is not good for the latest max is that War3 Art Tool doesn't fit into it unless you have the 3ds max 4 or five. If you really want the latest, download max 2011, but it cost much you know.

With no cost at all, gmax is there and gmax is also cool for high poly models. One thing that is not cool is in exporting process. try any of these If you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.