• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

An export from geosets from .obj/.3ds without Neodex/Gmax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Is there any way to import a file of type .obj or .3ds to Warcraft without using Gmax and Neodex ?

There is an importer in the tools section, however, it seems not to work appropriate, crashing.

There is also an ancient script for Blender which sadly does not work with the newer ones.

Is there any alternative to get models, only the geosets!, outside of Warcraft into the mdx or mdl type ? It would make modelling so much faster for me :(
I don't want to use Gmax

Level 29
"I prefer to use multiple badly made buggy feature-less community made tools than one professional program that will be much easier to use and actually help me in life if I ever choose to leave WC3" ~ Every WC3 modder.

To answer the question, you can probably use Milkshape with *.obj files.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I don't think Blender deserves this, it might not be a high-professional tool, but there exist many tutorials and a community to it, perfect for beginners like me.

However, I tried to import basic Blender meshes exported into 3ds to mdx and it worked fine. I think certain moves, like multiple geosets will crash the converter, though.

The point is not to have to register somewhere. You might look down on this attitude, but I prefer applications that do not require any registration.

Level 29
I actually like Blender, I was referring to all of the half broken and buggy tools in the WC3 community.
No one updated any of the Blender plugins in years. We just had a discussion about Blender a while ago somewhere here.
Long story short, if you want to model for WC3, you should probably use 3ds Max (or Gmax).

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Yes, I myself hate this required switch between Magos and Mdlvis to ease things and having to copy paste most model parts. In Blender, you just hit a button and a new geoset is fully created.
I am sad most coders here on Hive consider an export tool for blender or an independent exporter for 3ds and/or ob. to mdx/mdl as unnecessary. Well, obviously, as Gmax and Milkshape offer one it is kind of.

I think I will register either to Milkshape or Gmax, any recommendation which one ?

Yes, I myself hate this required switch between Magos and Mdlvis to ease things and having to copy paste most model parts. In Blender, you just hit a button and a new geoset is fully created.
I am sad most coders here on Hive consider an export tool for blender or an independent exporter for 3ds and/or ob. to mdx/mdl as unnecessary. Well, obviously, as Gmax and Milkshape offer one it is kind of.

I think I will register either to Milkshape or Gmax, any recommendation which one ?

I never used gmax before so i dont knoe, but i know milkshape 3d works well for me (with a plugin)
I would reccommend export as .obj as a "middle point", i found it less buggy
Btw, you need to pay for milkshape 3d, but i think gmax is free (but since i use milkshape 3d all the time.. Meh.. Im using milkshape 3d)

Status
Not open for further replies.