• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Model Color Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
How can i change the color of a custom model ? I wanna use a flame stream model as missile but i wanna have it blue, but how an i change it to blue like for example with the model editor ?

Level 28

Basic color change:

Step 1) download War3 Model Editor.
If it doesn't work:
Warcraft_Tester said:
the best website would be to solve this problem is http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...DisplayLang=en go to this link and find this DirectX End-User Runtime [...]
install this program and wait one hour, reset and you should able to use the model editor

Step 2) Open war3 model editor and open your file.

Step 3) Go to "Windows" -> "Node Manager", a window should pop up with all kinds of things you don't really need :D

Step 4) Double-click all files that have "particle" in their name.
You should see Segment 1-3 there, each segment with its own color, change that color.

Didn't completely work? Read further...

Now some of your particles (the flashy things) are in another color but the larger part of the model (or even the entire model) isn't?
That's because of a texture...

You can see the textures in "Windows" -> "Texture manager", you can see how they look by double-clicking them.
If one of them has the color you DO NOT want, then you know that's the texture you want to change

In the Texture Manager, right-click the texture you want to change (anything that has color!) and select "export".
Save it under a different name! (This is to prevent textures from overwriting each other).

E.g.: the file name was "Ghost1", rename it to "Ghost8" or something (be sure it doesn't overwrite anything else!).

Now go download this program and open it.
In the taskbar, you should see an icon called "BLP => TGA" (you might want to make the window larger).
Press this icon, you should now select a blp-file so you can convert it to .tga: convert all textures you just imported.

get either paint.net or GIMP if you haven't got an image editor for .tga-files yet.
Just change the color of the texture (change hue/saturation should do fine).
When this is done, go to the folder the model was in and save your edited image here.

Afterward, convert the .tga-file to a .blp-file again (using the icon to the left of the "BLP => TGA"-icon),

Great! Now you've got edited textures with the right colors...
You should still import these properly though.

Back in the model editor, import ALL edited textures in the "Texture Manager" window.
Now select "Window" -> "Material Manager", double-click EACH material and then double-click the layer.
On the right side of the screen, you can see which texture is used for which layer - change these textures with your edited ones.

You're almost done now, all you have to do is remove all original textures and it should work (don't forget to save your edited model).

Import it in the world editor with the correct path names and everything should work out just fine.

There you go, you changed the texture of a model.

I hope you could follow this small guide.

It's easy once you get used to it, but might be a bit of searching at the start.
Sorry I did not elaborate certain aspects, but I'm certain you'll learn over time :D

If it didn't work: I don't know, I'm not a skinner/modeller...

Final notes:

Make sure that you import the files correctly!
You MUST import the texture and change the path name (in the WE's import manager) as stated in the Texture Manager (war3 ME).

Last edited:
Level 5
Thanks that helps alot, but can i change the color of this sparks in the picture too ?

sparksy.jpg

Level 5
Ok, but now i wanna change the color of some lightning models from blue to purple, but it can't be done through the Node Manager. These are the models:

Attachments

• LightningBoltMissile.mdx
    23.8 KB · Views: 83
  • BoltImpact.mdx
    15 KB · Views: 82
Level 28
Did you read the rest I have said? I bet you did not...

This part:
ap0calypse said:

Because it explains how to change the color of that as well.

I must apologize because some actions could've been simplified though, just notice this now (although what I said still works perfectly, just took a few minutes extra work).

I've changed the tutorial and done the first one for you.
You should try the second one (according to the tutorial above) and see whether it worked or not.

Necessary files attached (all of these should be imported).

NOTE: I noticed that these two models share textures (Zap and Blue_Glow), instead of mindlessly copying them, you can save file space by using the same texture for both models.
Since you want them to be the same color, that should work out fine.

Attachments

• BoltImpactPurple.mdx
    15 KB · Views: 87
  • Blue_Glow88.blp
    3.3 KB · Views: 92
  • clouds_anim88.blp
    8 KB · Views: 80
  • Zap88.blp
    10.3 KB · Views: 98
How can i change the color of a custom model ? I wanna use a flame stream model as missile but i wanna have it blue, but how an i change it to blue like for example with the model editor ?

For more information on how to create/edit effects in Magos, look into these tutorials:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/3d-modeling-tutorials-282/making-effects-magos-35101/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...king-effects-magos-advanced-techniques-59348/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...-effects-magos-advanced-techniques-2-a-67542/

Level 5
Ok that solves most of the problem, but how can i change a whole ability effect ? As you know the chain lightning ability has impact effects but also a lightning stream effect, how can i change that lightning stream to another color for a custom ability, without changing the color from all lightning effects ?

Level 28
ap0calypse said:
In the Texture Manager, right-click the texture you want to change (anything that has color!) and select "export".
Save it under a different name! (This is to prevent textures from overwriting each other).

E.g.: the file name was "Ghost1", rename it to "Ghost8" or something (be sure it doesn't overwrite anything else!).
There's a reason I wrote this :D

It's to avoid that all effects become different - just save it with a different name and import it, which should avoid that problem.

chilla killa said:
Why not just use Geoset Animations to recolour the texture??
Unfortunately, I don't know much about model editing (I also said that somewhere).

Level 5
But how can i change the color of a lightning effect which has no actual model ? I wanna change the lightning stream color of a ability like chain lightning, but what i wanna recolor is the effect which is in Art - Lightning Effects.

Level 10

Basic color change:

Step 1) download War3 Model Editor.
If it doesn't work:

Step 2) Open war3 model editor and open your file.

Step 3) Go to "Windows" -> "Node Manager", a window should pop up with all kinds of things you don't really need :D

Step 4) Double-click all files that have "particle" in their name.
You should see Segment 1-3 there, each segment with its own color, change that color.

Now some of your particles (the flashy things) are in another color but the larger part of the model (or even the entire model) isn't?
That's because of a texture...

You can see the textures in "Windows" -> "Texture manager", you can see how they look by double-clicking them.
If one of them has the color you DO NOT want, then you know that's the texture you want to change

Now go download this program and open it.
In the taskbar, you should see an icon called "BLP => TGA" (you might want to make the window larger).
Press this icon, you should now select a blp-file so you can convert it to .tga: convert all textures you just imported.

get either paint.net or GIMP if you haven't got an image editor for .tga-files yet.
Just change the color of the texture (change hue/saturation should do fine).
When this is done, go to the folder the model was in and save your edited image here.

Afterward, convert the .tga-file to a .blp-file again (using the icon to the left of the "BLP => TGA"-icon),

Great! Now you've got edited textures with the right colors...
You should still import these properly though.

Back in the model editor, import ALL edited textures in the "Texture Manager" window.
Now select "Window" -> "Material Manager", double-click EACH material and then double-click the layer.
On the right side of the screen, you can see which texture is used for which layer - change these textures with your edited ones.

You're almost done now, all you have to do is remove all original textures and it should work (don't forget to save your edited model).

Import it in the world editor with the correct path names and everything should work out just fine.

There you go, you changed the texture of a model.

I hope you could follow this small guide.

It's easy once you get used to it, but might be a bit of searching at the start.
Sorry I did not elaborate certain aspects, but I'm certain you'll learn over time :D

If it didn't work: I don't know, I'm not a skinner/modeller...

Final notes:

Make sure that you import the files correctly!
You MUST import the texture and change the path name (in the WE's import manager) as stated in the Texture Manager (war3 ME).
I LOVE YOU MAN!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.