• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Model cause WE crash when selected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Last edited:
Level 17
It doesn't crash for me. Also two issues:
- Whoever made the model especially the wrap and the texture had very little idea of what he is doing.
- 1024p textures ? wc3 doesn't display that. It will get auto downsampled to 512p, you are merely wasting filesize if you are importing textures of that size.
Unless, you know how to bypass this limitation of course.

Attachments

• Hause_Interior.mdx
    193.6 KB · Views: 64
Level 4
- 1024p textures ? wc3 doesn't display that. It will get auto downsampled to 512p, you are merely wasting filesize if you are importing textures of that size.
Unless, you know how to bypass this limitation of course.

I just converted original texture. I make optimizations rather later, then everything else is done.
Down sampling depends on the distance of the camera. However Sometimes I need 1024p in cinematics and don't tell me there is no difference. :)

Anyway, Thank you so much. :*

Level 17
However Sometimes I need 1024p in cinematics and don't tell me there is no difference. :)
There is no difference. It is forced by the engine. Create two models of the room one with 512p and one with 1024p texture and place them next to each other.
You will notice they are identical. What is probably being done is that the game uses 512p mip map regardless of the full resolution of the texture if it is past 512p.
Whereas, when you compare them in magos for example the difference is very apparent.

If you try to delete mip maps using BLP lab the big texture (if it is past 512p) will be used however it will be clipped to fit 512p and only the left uppermost corner of it will be used.

Last edited:
Level 4
There is no difference. It is forced by the engine. Create two models of the room one with 512p and one with 1024p texture and place them next to each other.
You will notice they are identical. What is probably being done is that the game uses 512p mip map regardless of the full resolution of the texture if it is past 512p.
Whereas, when you compare them in magos for example the difference is very apparent.

Bleh... here it go: Clean WE view, camera distance 1815.00. What is more, I am using 2048x2048 texture.

40349660.jpg

38528698.jpg

Honey, I am having fun with WE of nearly 2007 year, and I know a lot of what it's engine can.

Well... Unless, you want to tell me that my wooden PC process is better than yours. xD

Level 17
That is impossible, what are you using ? What patch does your game have ? And do you use regular WE or anything other than that ?
Also please, show an in-game screenshot not one from the editor.

Honey, I am having fun with WE of nearly 2007 year, and I know a lot of what it's engine can.
I laughed.
It may be that the limitation was lifted in some patch. (which is most likely the case, in which case it won't work for anybody without the patch)

Level 4
That is impossible, what are you using ? What patch does your game have ? And do you use regular WE or anything other than that ?
Also please, show an in-game screenshot not one from the editor.

I laughed.
It may be that the limitation was lifted in some patch. (Mine is not up-to-date)

:D

My patch is: 1.24.4.6387 (I know, old. I heard later patchs can cause bugs or have some mysterious limitations, so I decided to stay with this and never update). Anyway, I am not sure, but even some models by Born2Mofiicate were using 1024x1024 textures.

Relax. I am using normal WE without any outside addons. (I guess I would not even know how to install them).
EDIT, sorry, imageshack resized it, i reuploaded:
testftk.jpg

Level 17
Nvm, now the bigger one works.
Indeed it looks there is some difference. It may only be 1024p though.

Intriguing. I'd swear I was testing it ago and it didn't work. What is more intriguing is that the better one seems to have worse windows than the worse one.

Level 17
Yes I know, the distance makes lower resolution mip map appear.
Puzzling, anyways thank you for your input.
I'll see about trying out things..

The thing is, I tried it out before I replied to you and it didn't work. (I'm not retarded to argue without proofs)
So there must be something you've done/have different and it is not the patch as I have the exact same one.
What do you use to convert textures and save models with ?
texture.jpg

Level 4
Strange.. :O So you were right.

Well I usually use Warcraft 3 Viewer to convert tga into blp. But I must admit sometimes I use just Magos ME because of my laziness. Just exporting texture.tga as texture.blp from texture manager window.

EDIT: 1.24.4.6387 is a iCCup patch downloaded from original site together with Anti-Hack iCCup Luncher, so perhaps it have something to do with it. I don't know. Many people are using that to play Wc3.

Level 17
Hmm I use magos the same way. No idea then.
The texture in your pic although it doesn't look quite 2048p it looks certainly better.
I'll try whether it works with other peeps.

Anyways, sorry for bugging you. I'll credit you if I find out why mine don't seem to work. (and nope, I have rather new pc hardware and all my wc3 settings are set to the highest)

Status
Not open for further replies.