• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mod: The Undying War - Project Recruitment

Which of the factions you want to play as?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8

attachment.php

The main features
-turn-based strategy on Azeroth
-the real-time Battle Map
-the well-known factions: kingdoms, united nations and rampaging hordes

Terrain Screenshots

What is done so far

Models, icons etc: 0% ,
Race/Abilities: 0% -
Maps: 5%

Last edited:
Level 7
Good. If you need some help with the techtrees/AI also hit me up, I used to work on a campaign about draenei also in the past so I might have some ideas for their race.

Level 7
No, it was a personal project :) I canceled it because I had no motivation to continue, but that was like 2-3 years ago.

Level 8
Sry there was nothing posted or submitted, I just didn't have the time and I also had to update abilities and stuff.

As for the whole concept: The story is being written too but there should be choices and more RPG elements. I thought it could be more like a Bioware RPG where you have more choices of fighting an enemy, paths you take and even the end of the campaign.
Like: you're this small leader of a special assault force but if you do all the tasks for Kil'jaeden in the time limit he wishes you gain specific rewards. Let's give the player the choice not to fight the battle where all the Draenei forces gathered and go on your own way (infiltrating, sabotaging, gather more allies) or simply change sides. Of course the way it makes sense.
The Qirajis and Trolls are participating in the story mainly because of the presence of the Legion. The Qirajis might see the Legion as a threat they should eliminate as soon as possible (or they will be forever feared for defeating them:) ) and the Trolls have newly regained their former glory so they are both aware of the Legion and have the courage to enter the conflict.
Btw, the campaigns should be about the characters and I don't want the project to fail because of violating the lore! It will be more about leading special agents and small assault forces like I said but still can be epic.:)

Level 7
That sounds pretty neat. Also if you want to improve the gameplay I suggest to work on the variety of the maps. I mean you should add several altered melee maps, some RPG, maybe 1 AoS map if you can.. and so on, because just plain RPG or altered melee gets boring after a while. Also the things you already mentioned are awesome, having more paths to choose.. definitely make the campaign better. Yea, the campaign should follow the lore ~99%+. I know most of the lore so PM me when the storyline is finished and I'll try to correct if there is any mistake in it (lorewise).

Level 7
I suppose its just a WIP no? It looks pretty good, but it needs more shading overall and the place above the scarab (on the inventory) looks pretty empty, you should add something there or make the scarab bigger maybe

Level 8
I suppose its just a WIP no? It looks pretty good, but it needs more shading overall and the place above the scarab (on the inventory) looks pretty empty, you should add something there or make the scarab bigger maybe
Well, I had like 1/2 of the texture done with much more detail but it's lost for some reason. I was so pissed because it does look incomplete and doesn't really looks like I expected. I'm gonna update it to look more Qiraji like in WoW. The big symbol should be like the one on the Scarab Gong, that would be awesome.

+ Just like that: http://images.wikia.com/wowwiki/images/b/b5/The_Scarab_Gong.jpg

Level 7
That's cool, btw is there any release date on the closed/open beta?

P.S. I liked the pictures you uploaded on your campaign album.

Level 8
That's cool, btw is there any release date on the closed/open beta?

P.S. I liked the pictures you uploaded on your campaign album.

The story is like 65% and Trolls are a little unfinished. I plan at least 20 maps right now and they are pretty varied: other than melee and RPG there will be spying, survival, zombie survival, TD, investigation, chase scenes(really) etc. so they shouldn't get boring.
There won't be too much RPG choices and stuff. All of the campaigns will let you choose an ending that changes the last map for instance. Some of them are obvious results but all of them makes a vital change for the last part of the story. So you might be playing 6 different last maps as the Trolls. Yeah, the Trolls' role will be like the Reign of Chaos Nightelves in here, live with it:))
Don't want to tease anyone, just give a little info.

Level 7
Wow chase scenes :D that really got my attention. Btw you might want to edit your first post to update "what is done so far" since you said you've done ~65% of the storyline and other things you've done

Level 7
ExMortis, you never replied to my PM. So I'll ask here, what do you think about my ideas about the plot?

Edit: I really liked the techtree of the demon race units, but you should add 1 small flying unit, 1 ranged unit and maybe a 3rd caster or a 2nd siege unit

Last edited:
Level 8
ExMortis, you never replied to my PM. So I'll ask here, what do you think about my ideas about the plot?

Edit: I really liked the techtree of the demon race units, but you should add 1 small flying unit, 1 ranged unit and maybe a 3rd caster or a 2nd siege unit

I like your idea, the jungles of Stranglethorn and just trolls might be setting up the mood anyway. It might be interesting to start. Just a Troll character looking down from a waterfall or something.
But the demons are logical for a 1st campaign because that's how it supposed to begin. It all starts with them arriving on Outland.

Last edited:
Level 7
I like your idea, the jungles of Stranglethorn and just trolls might be setting up the mood anyway. It might be interesting to start. Just a Troll character looking down from a waterfall or something.
But the demons are logical for a 1st campaign because that's how it supposed to begin. It all starts with them arriving on Outland.

Well that's ok, but you can do a prelude or something showing up the events before the campaign like the trolls gathering their armies and so, you know like the silence/peace before the big war. It would make the conflict more epic imo. if you know what I mean.

P.S. Really liked the terrain screenshots

Level 8
Well that's ok, but you can do a prelude or something showing up the events before the campaign like the trolls gathering their armies and so, you know like the silence/peace before the big war. It would make the conflict more epic imo. if you know what I mean.

P.S. Really liked the terrain screenshots

I know what you mean, but my point is that the Trolls are already a reborn empire at the beginning and other characters will find out about how did they get there anyway.
About AQ: I always thought it is The Fallen Kingdom because they became servants of C'thun, not because they were totally defeated. Were they? They were imprisoned behind the Scarab Wall that the dragons raised. The Nightelves and the bronze dragons together had trouble halting their advance, they were stopped but not defeated. Correct me but that's how I know it.

+ The actual reason that leads to these factions fighting is that Sargeras and the Old Gods have given up aiding them. You know: Legion - Sargeras, Qirajis - C'thun, Trolls - Hakkar the Soulflayer or the Blood God. C'thun just leaves the Qirajis, Hakkar is like banished and Sargeras doesn't aids the Legion either just sends orders. You see I wanted these factions in my mod but they were evil empires led by evil gods. So right now they are just tossing and fouling them. They can be more down-to-earth instead of just badass factions, it makes them more interesting - and these gods are just messing up while hiding in shadows.
That's also why I named it The Undying War - they always find reasons to fight and none of them is led to eternal peace like it was written in stone.

Last edited:
Level 7
If I want to the Qiraji faction complete, then I need someone to help in modeling. I can't make my Qiraji model work.

AntoMarc: I thought more about your idea and maybe you're right. It should start with them instead of demons.

Well it would make the campaign more correct lorewise imo, also about the model you could try the Request section :)

Level 7
I'm willing to be a beta tester for the mod

P.S. I'm still interested in the mod I've been checking it almost daily xD

Level 8
I'm going to upload a skirmish map with all the 4 factions. You will be (should be) able to play multi using the new factions.

Right now it's a map that has 4 players of different factions (Trolls, Demons, Qiraji, Draenei) with the starting units. It's a Sunken Ruins map with connected islands and neutral Shipyards.

I might make a race-selecting system so players can pick the standard 4 factions too.

Level 7
Cool, gonna try it in a sec.

I'll post feedback later. :)

Edit: Okay there are plenty of things you might want to change, most of it is basic object editor work, I've only tried it in single player and I've played with troll race and without AI is pretty hard to balance it, but here are the main issues:

1. The troll workers are way to powerful, either reduce the hp of the headhunters and the attack or you add some new workers with another models, because the headhunters don't have any harvest animation and it would look a lot better with a real worker model.

2. Firepit and huts have troll voices and that's creepy as fuck lol, you might want to change their sounds.

3. A lot of icons don't work and are just plain green.

4. Some of the units are way to big, lets take for example the raptor rider, you should decrease his size and maybe increase the size of the buildings, the ziggurat is way to small for a 2nd tier main building. Btw the 3rd tier name is also ziggurat in the tooltip and when I update it it says High Palace so you might want to change that.

5. the Python Warrior (I guess its her name) should have one main attack spell, most of her abillities are utiliy imo you should change either windwalk or sleep with some attack spell, also her icon doesn't work

6. You can train raptor rider both at arena and beastiary, also his projectile fires from wrong place and on wrong time, instead of firing on animation and from hand, it fires after animation and from raptor mouth, lol. Also you should add troll sounds instead of raptor sounds imo

7. There are 2 beast masters on the altar and the 2nd one is the one from the tavern, you might want to change that. Also for the first beast master, his icon doesn't work either. And the first beast master is still a python warrior lol, it just says beast master on tooltip but it trains a python warrior.

8. I can't buy troll berserker, because it requires War Mill and its funny that there is no war mill since you've changed it to firepit (You should keep war mill imo)

9. There is a liquid fire update on beastiary which is useless since there is no such unit for that update.

10. You might want to add the orc voice over the night elf voice with "Create more moonwells" lol

11. You should improve bear shaman's tooltip, also there should be Mystical instead of Miysthical and there is no animation when he changes into bear form, and when you're in bear form it says night elf form instead of troll form and it has a wrong icon.

12. High Priest Adept Training is useless and it has the same tooltip as witch doctor's training + the high priest has all of his spells from start.

13. Vorpal Blades are useless since there are no glaive throwers.

That's most of it for now, also you might want to add more troll units and less beast units, I know it looks more terrifying and stuff, but if you want to add beasts they should be controlled by trolls imo (like mounts). 1 beast unit is enough.

Gonna post more later. :)

Last edited:
Level 7
Can you change the map so I can choose any race from those 4 while I'm on single player? I keep getting the trolls and I want to test the other 3 races too.

Level 8
Right now I've fixed:
-All the tooltips/names mentioned.
-The scaling.
-All the upgrades.
-The techtree problems.
-Command buttons display.
-The Bear Shaman tooltips.

Changed:
-Trolls now use weak Mor'gul units as workers.
-Dire Trolls are now the strongest of their melee units and needs tier3 building.
-Removed the Skyfighter unit(flying dinosaur)
-Added the Mor'gul Land-dweller (ranged unit) and the Were Tiger (melee unit)
-Python Warrior abilities changed.

Level 8
I feel like I should put the singleplayer campaigns to a rest. It would take weeks to finish only the first campaign.
I had another idea for an ORPG project which is also big, but it would take much less effort and it's much more interesting and original.

I've heard that people are getting too much RPG maps but I can be much more creative in making this ORPG. It's inspired by the old Oddworld games and it's so offbeat I can't get enough of it for years.

I'll upload the Undying War maps as soon as possible.

Level 7
That doesn't sound good... I was really hoping you would finish those campaigns.. too bad, good luck on your next project.

Level 8
Hi, everyone!

I hope you had fun with the melee map. I'm sorry I didn't really done the campaigns. I wasn't able to make it one consistent story and the one faction (the demons) that had a lot of potential wasn't the interest of many people.

Anyway, I started it all over again. I'm doing a Conquest style map, not really focusing on written story or events, just the world and the gameplay.
What to expect:
- turn based gameplay on the World Map with lots of regions and settlements to conquer
- a Battle Map where you can do the battles or sieging a castle
- diplomacy
- lots of different units

I also hope to make:
- battles with Really huge armies (like hundreds)
- some special magic abilities
- a complex Quest system that frequently gives different but rewarding and challenging tasks for the player (either he has a vast empire or two tiny castles).

That's it so far. I'll give you an update, just as I finished anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.