• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

MOD: hero's in melee maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
back when SC2 was first launched i was working on a mod for sc2 that would add a single hero to each race. the hero's were suppose to be extremely customizable and I had a whole system worked out for it but i got stuck at a transition point and the editor was so new no one knew how to help, i'm hoping people might now that the editors been out awhile.

The system works like this:
you'd start with a Marine at level 1

1. Terran Start: Marine: +1Str, +1Agi, +1 Int, +1 Stam
Marine 1: Human Spirit: Increased health regeneration when near other friendly Terran units.
2: Stim Pack: Normal ~reduces damage taken to use
2: Refire: chance to fire a second round immediately after. ~%

once reaching level 5 your hero's exp would cap and prevent further leveling until a choice was made, you could either go into the "special forces" military branch or the "engineering core" branch.

going military would transform you into a marauder
going engineering would transform you into a firebat
you'd then be able to gain exp once again. upon the transformation you'd gain bonus stats, learn new abilities and retain all of your old abilities.

2. Level 5 choose between Marine Corps or Engineering Corps
Marauder: +1Str, +2Agi, +1 Int, +1 Stam
5: Mayday: summons 2 predators. ~CD
5: Concussive Rounds: ~slow amount

Fire Bat: +2Str, +1Agi, +1 Int, +1 Stam
5: attack range ~further
5: attack rate ~faster

now while the level 1 ability is passive and has only the 1 starting rank. the others each have 3 ranks. once you reached level 10 exp would cap as before and you'd have to make a choice between one of 3 final forms before exp would resume.

3A. Level 10 choices for Marauder Path
Ghost: +1Str, +2Agi, +2 Int, +1 Stam
10: Cloak ~longer
10: Snipe: ~cheaper
15: Nuke:

Reaper: +2Str, +2Agi, +1 Int, +1 Stam
10: movement speed. ~faster
10: Cluster bomb: ~dmg
15: jet pack: cliff hop

Medic: +1Str, +1Agi, +2 Int, +2 Stam
10: Heal. Heals nearby unit. ~heal amount and cost.
10: Nano-steal armor: Automatically heals as long as the unit is alive. ~faster
15: heals 2 at once.
3B. Level 10 Choices for Fire Bat Path
Goliath: +1Str, +2Agi, +2 Int, +1 Stam
10: Missile volley: area air damage. ~area.
10: Spider mines. ~CD
15: Multi-lock targeting: hit air and ground at the same time.

Thor:: +1Str, +2Agi, +1 Int, +2 Stam
10: 50 MM shells: Damage + stun. ~damage
10: Bombardment: Bombards an area with high damage. ~damage
15: Refined neo-steal construction: Increases armor and movement speed.

Technician: +1Str, +1Agi, +2 Int, +2 Stam
10: Nanolith: Ranged repair of mechanical units and structures. ~amount healed
10: Defensive attack thingy - raven ability
15: Flaming betty

the level 15 and level 1 abilities have only 1 rank but ALL other abilities have 3 ranks.

so here is an example,
marine
marauder
ghost

once you cap at max level 20 you should have all of these abilities maxed out:

1: Human Spirit: Increased health regeneration when near other friendly Terran units.
2: Stim Pack: Normal
2: Refire: chance to fire a second round immediately after.
5: Mayday: summons 2 predators.
5: Concussive Rounds
10: Cloak
10: Snipe
15: Nuke

the problem I had encountered was transferring to the new forms. no matter what I tried transforming from a marine into a marauder for example i'd not only loose the starting stats but i'd loose the skill points applied to abilities. additionally no one seemed able to help.

just wondering if these bridges have been crossed yet?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Well in the worst case senario you can use trigger script to relearn lost abilities and add lost attributes during a class change.

It would be nice if I could have what you have made so far so I could start messing around with potential solutions.

One approach that sprung to mind is to not even change the unit type but just change the unit actor and enable learning of certin abilities.

Level 2
i'll see if i can dig it up. i wasn't very far in honestly. i had managed to build and make the level 1-5 versions and they were working nicely if imbalanced at present so i wasn't too far in. where should I upload or email it?

Level 2
so i reinstalled the game and i still can't find the map, not even on my published list which means it's either lost or its on my storage hard drive which ended up dying on me which means its lost anyways. so i'm going to have to restart this project from scratch. i guess now is the best time to ask for ideas to simplify the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.