• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mob patrols

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
I had this idea, how about making mob patrols in levelling areas and some dungeons, of course most mobs should still be static, but i think it would add some life to the map and also make people time their attacks on mobs.

If you dont know what i mean, its quite alot like what they have in Wow, but an example could be:

In the gnoll vinyards area, 2-3 gnolls patrolling around between set points, when one dies, the others keep on patrolling and the dead one will not ressurect until all the patrollers are killed. Then the whole patrol will respawn at a set spot, preferably away from other spawns to prevent stupid respawn ambushes and give players some time to run before they get overwhelmed by static mobs + the patrol.

What do you think Zwei? :grin:

Last edited:
Level 4
As far as I know the threat system that is in the map registers the position of the mobs where they start and if they get further then 2000?? range from the starting position they returns and become invulnerable. It sure is possible though he'd probably have to recode a part of the threat system.

Level 5
I'd rather suggest a random spawn on the different points. For example the melee thiefs could once in a while change to a ranged thief. You might want to take a look in that tho. But, patrolling might be causing the whole game to get a bit... Weird. I've never liked the patrol they have in WoW or any other ORPG since most of them only have stupid setpoints, could be worth a try tho.

As far as I know the threat system that is in the map registers the position of the mobs where they start and if they get further then 2000?? range from the starting position they returns and become invulnerable. It sure is possible though he'd probably have to recode a part of the threat system.
Well, I'm not using ZTS the way I uploaded it. I use an altered version that is a lot more complicated to use, but also more flexible. It's no problem for me to change the return point of creepcamps while they are patrolling.
Maybe I will add something like that in the new quest hub areas in 1.2.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Well, I'm not using ZTS the way I uploaded it. I use an altered version that is a lot more complicated to use, but also more flexible. It's no problem for me to change the return point of creepcamps while they are patrolling.
Maybe I will add something like that in the new quest hub areas in 1.2.

Nice :D
About the idea being weird. Well i hate streamlined games that are so generic that it might as well be another game, so a little weirdness is only a plus in my book.

Level 5
I wouldn't really say patrolling is unique. I really don't mind the idea tho. Aslong as Zwiebelchen can keep it from clashing the gameplay, tons of avoidable groups, mobs get stuck in eachother in narrow areas. Quite a lot of things can happen.

Level 10
I think patrolling mobs would be interesting in a dungeon setting. Having to pull a mob away from their spawn point so another patrolling mob doesn't come and join the fight, but it could get annoying in a world setting atmosphere with too many units moving around at least in the dungeons you know they wouldn't be respawning.

I do like the idea of a little bit of luck on spawns though with some random spawns. I think an interesting idea would be have a world boss in the new area but make his spawn point like regular mobs with a random chance for him to spawn as the boss or perhaps have a world boss spawn in the new content that could be like three different kinds of world bosses that all drop different types of gear

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Seeker, in the world setting atmosphere, as you call it, they should of course respawn in some remote location and not very close to the others. Also i wasnt suggesting spamming them all over the place, but a few patrols spread over different leveling areas would be cool. Still you are right that in dungeons this would reach its "full" potential :).

Status
Not open for further replies.