• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

MMORPG Clichés

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my experience, there are some clichés I'd love to mention. I know there are lists over the internet, but here is mine:

1) Every champion has the same attributes in the battle; the only thing that varies is their "amount" (oh yes, they are for some strange reason measureable).

2) Every champion gets the same currency as a reward, no matter what race they are.

3) Every champion has health and mana. In order to disguise this lack of originality, suddenly, fighters have rage to spend, as if it's the only way or virtue to be efficient in battle.

4) Mages are always smarter than brutal fighters, but somehow, the latter are always much stronger.

5) Chances: If you know how to trigger an effect, you just know it, what's up with the chance to slow an enemy?

6) The weak arrow: Somehow you have to be hit by more than 5 arrows in order to eventually die.

7) NPCs: Each NPC mysteriously knows who sent you and will gladly give you the reward you are seeking, no matter your appearance of a brutal fighter.

8) Somehow animals that die instantly offer you the armor made of their fur, yet no one is around to actually craft them for you.

9) Critical strike: By some unknown forces, you sometimes have the power to unleash more power with the same mana/rage/life cost.

10) God: Your character will always survive one way or another.

11) Potions: They always work as intended; mixing failures NOT allowed.

12) Light armor lets you evade more attacks than usual, but mages who wear additionally thin armor and are smarter can't evade them this easily.

13) A rock thrown on you will always have a stun or slow effect.

14) Heal requires faith to God to actually be in your skills' arsenal.

15) PvP exclusiveness for higher level champions.

16) Archers' quiver never runs out of arrows.

17) Reuse time of spells: There's almost always a cooldown on your spells, no matter how demanding the battle is. Game just doesn't allow you to multi-cast, when all you need is enough mana.

18) Items that somehow control the reuse time of your spells.

19) Level up: The only way to indicate that you become stronger is either better gear or leveling up your champion and/or abilities. NPCs are e.g. level 80 and when you reach that level, you don't have the fame they do.

20) Monsters can never enter a town, because they are magically soothed with invisible energies.

21) Bonuses: Buffs always have a duration, they can't be cast by a sorcerer eternally, no matter if you want them to.

22) Color mode: A skinny orc of level 70 is somehow stronger than a 12 level giant spider.

23) Nature spells can either heal or poison.

24) Incompatible abilities: You reach out to the top level, in order to gain a certain ability, but some monster of level 20 possesses that ability already.

25) Accessories like Necklaces, Rings and Earrings are wearable by males as well. They also happen to provide resistance to magic.

26) Spells with tooltips like "devastating attack", yet not powerful enough to be lethal.

27) Fire spells always light off after some seconds.

28) Spikes coming out of the ground, when they were not placed there in the first place.

29) Lack of mana making you useless in battle, "spiritually" tired, although your health is full and you can walk and attack normally.

30) Fire spells can also work underwater and deal the same amount of damage.

31) Invisibility is always detectable by some sort of a gem or inner sight.

32) Vendors are always in the town, same location and never shut for the night.

33) A skeleton being 21 level in one area and 78 in another.

34) Some music will always accompany you in your adventures. The music theme changes when you enter a town.

35) Holy spells having a cross (Christianity) as an icon, but the god of that race is fictional.

36) The corpses of the ones you slay will fade out after some point and recycle themselves (respawn) with the same level and power.

37) Static mana cost: No matter how many times you cast a spell, you will never find a way to use less energy to cast it.

38) Everything outside of the town is an enemy; you might find certain NPCs in dungeons, but they are somehow always neutral to players and monsters alike.

39) A champion can never chicken out. They always stand and fight.

40) NPCs armors are always cooler than yours. You may find trash in the dungeons, but you can never craft the armor of a particular NPC.

41) Your champion can only sicken by some other source (also known as "debuff"), they can't get the flu or anything else.

42) Your character will not laugh, sneeze or cough, unless you press the respective emotion button.

43) Backstab: Hitting the enemy from the back will result greater damage to their health, although the chest and the belly are much more vulnerable.

44) The Conundrum: Regardless the paralyze you suffer, which maims you physically and mentally, time (see: duration) will make you get rid of it.

45) Lore speaking of the world's breaking, but somehow unknown races appear from nowhere in the upcoming expansions, who laid hidden somewhere.

46) Monsters can drop potions, but they don't use them in combat.

47) Ethereal beings dropping armors, when they cannot wield anything, due to their substance being pure energy.

48) Only NPCs can give out quests and missions, players can't have that kind of authority.

49) NPCs reminiscent of past wars, but they are too tired nowadays to assist you in the most frightening boss of the expansion.

50) Even if you are a thief, the world won't reject you for being a total punk.

--- List extended by Post 1 and Post 2 ---

57) [This is actually borrowed from another list, but I find it really true] You can only unlock gates/doors/crates with a key, no matter if you have a whole party of other players who can destroy a whole city with their spells and skills.

... To be updated ...

Last edited:
Level 14
48) Only NPCs can give out quests and missions, players can't have that kind of authority.

Not true. Once I needed some copper ore, like tons of copper ore. And I told a random guy "dude, I give you 5g for every 10 copper ore you bring me". The guy brought me copper ore for 3 days in a row.

Level 9
Well... all you have said is true!
That's why i quit playing MMORPGs and went to Freelancer. Although old... many of those clichés to not appear in it... and players have A LOT more authority. And because the "leveling up" thing doesn't actually do anything... just shows how much money your character has... there are hundreds of ways players can interact and help each other...
Although there are many lacks as well... it's still a better game in my opinion.

EDIT: Ah... Magtheridon... good thing you mentioned (52) *laughs*. That is another important one.

Level 27
I have to agree with many of the points.

However, most of these points are for actual gameplay. The idea behind the game is to make money, and in order to make money, the actual product must be fun and be worth while.

People who create a game to make money don't make any. Especially not MMO's.

Take "all points bulletin" for example =p

Also noticed how in WoW for example bosses like Kil'Jaeden and Deathwing are rigged bossfights only to make players have a chance, i don't want to be a lore-nerd or anything but you couldn't beat deathwing lore-wise even if you had a 40-man champion army at your disposal. Look what he did to the world when he came lol, now imagne what he can do when he is pissed of.

Well, why not find a way to make it a significantly larger battle? I heard something about some sort of massive Demon General being lured into Stormwind, and trashing the city at large. As far as I know, this didn't cause massive lag, and seemed rather realistic.

Why not just do that, and give all the combatants a share of EXP dependant on the damage they did to the boss? Now I dunno about you all, but if there was a way to keep players in the fight longer, (Last Stand-style 'knockouts', anyone?) something like that would be very entertaining.

Level 9
What the_wand_mirror says is true... all these boss fights, many of them are just unrealistic and un-lore-like... Making everything not so fun in my opinion.

Also... A battle of large proportions wouldn't be much different either... even if it happens in Stormwind or anywhere else... because there will be no effect of it afterwards... no dead merchants or things... no ruined buildings... etc. (that is... unless the gods known as "ADMINS" would like to use their powers and reshape the area to match the effects of the battle.)

Level 12
54) You seem to be able to keep anything of any size in your bag, no matter how small. Just how much of a different item you can keep decides the "size" of your bag.

55) You can destroy armies if low-levels if you are of higher level. Why not just fix all of the problems experienced in lower leveled areas?

56) Apparently, there are only a strict amount of professions which almost always include blacksmithing. And the products you make only serve the purpose of serving as ingredients for other items or for slaying beasts.

Level 36
52) You can somehow equip armors and weapons in no time.(No delay)

Oh how I've always yearned to watch my characters getting dressed and undressed every fucking time I change my gear... >.>

Really, most or all of these pointers are made in such a way for efficiency, which in turn makes the game more enjoyable to the player.

Whoever gave you the idea that a game was meant to be 100% realistic anyways?

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I could pick out a lot of these clichés and say how they are either necessary, logical or does not apply as often as you make it sound. I could also point out that nearly none of them applies to the MMORPGs I have played in my time. But it'd be to no good, because this is obviously just a rant about how games always take on similar solutions. Anyway, I wanted to take a few:

Yeah, they should probably fix that, give you reduced proficiency with a weapon until you hit the right level.
Not sure who you're saying this as a reply to, but either way this is already the case in Tibia. You can equip almost any weapon with any character but you will be more efficient with a weapon designed for your level. A level 50 character will deal greatly reduced damage using a level 100 weapon, opposed to using a level 50 weapon (which would be optimal). A level 99 character, however will deal almost the same damage as a level 100 character - with the same stats anyway. While a level 200 character will deal a whole lot more damage with a level 100 weapon than a level 100 character. And so forth. Magic is the only thing that will require a specific level to master and cannot be learned at a lower level - and is unusable if you die enough to go below the level you needed to learn it.

5) Chances: If you know how to trigger an effect, you just know it, what's up with the chance to slow an enemy?
To everything regarding chance, damage and health:
Computational limitations as well as ethical problems are solved through chance. If you know that by shooting the enemy in the foot will slow him down, the enemy also knows this, so of course the enemy will attempt to avoid this from happening if he sees you trying to do so. Instead of making an advanced AI for the enemy and letting you decide exactly when and where to shoot your arrow as well as heeding wind and so forth, chance is implemented to calculate the output of said battle of wits. Moreover, it would be a bad idea to teach children exactly where to hit people in order to make the most damage to them.

Not always. When Tibia first was released, dying meant the absolute end of your character and in order to keep playing the game you would have to make a new one. It was later changed so that dying would merely make you weaker by roughly 10% because people didn't like starting a new character after spending months becoming the warrior they were. People were (and are even now) still complaining about the death penalty being too high in Tibia, so non-PVP servers were implemented to at least remove the chance of you getting killed by another player. But, yes, it's a game and people don't expect to lose everything for taking a risk or (more or less) randomly getting murdered by another player.

11) Potions: They always work as intended; mixing failures NOT allowed.
You'd be pretty pissed off if your doctor gave you a medicine that almost killed you, right? And if you're referring to a game where you make your own potions (though I've never played one that allows that except for Two Worlds, which by no means is an MMORPG) - well, then I guess that's something to work on. Let the player mix vial of venomous spider blood with his potion of health and see if it becomes more powerful that way. I honestly don't think it would change a whole lot, though.

12) Light armor lets you evade more attacks than usual, but mages who wear additionally thin armor and are smarter can't evade them this easily.
And who said being smart made you an expert at fighting? Last I heard, scientists were pretty poor at dodging bullets. I think this "cliché" makes absolute sense and is about as much a cliché as you not being able to take a piss through your pants without getting soaked.

I'm sorry, what game is this?

Tell that to my archer character who I spent two weeks killing trolls with a hammer to afford five hundred arrows that I not only couldn't bring with me all at once, but I had broken them all after hunting giant chickens in a jungle for two days.

17) Reuse time of spells: There's almost always a cooldown on your spells, no matter how demanding the battle is. Game just doesn't allow you to multi-cast, when all you need is enough mana.
Seeing as the term spell is most likely derived from the fact you have to utter a sequence of magical words in order to cast a spell, casting multiple spells at once seems rather impractical unless you have multiple mouths. As for cooldowns, they can be argued to be because of the massive concentration needed to perform them, but I agree. Then again, in Tibia there is only a short cooldown of roughly one second between casting each spell. Shorter spells (ie less words) can be cast more often, and as long as you have the mana stored up to perform the spell you can keep casting explosions all day every two seconds if you'd like, though it'll most likely kill that poor friend of yours who you invited to hop along.

20) Monsters can never enter a town, because they are magically soothed with invisible energies.
I'm sure the people that got killed in the previous undead raid in Darashia would be able to tell you otherwise. Not to mention the ones who died when a few friends and I lured a dragon into Venore.

23) Nature spells can either heal or poison.
What is a nature spell? Is fire considered to be of nature? Oh.. I think I may just have cliché-ified your cliché.

25) Accessories like Necklaces, Rings and Earrings are wearable by males as well.
Suffice to say why not?

Isn't the idea that YOU are the champion? I've yet to find an MMORPG that doesn't allow the player to flee from battle.

42) Your character will not laugh, sneeze or cough, unless you press the respective emotion button.
Could relate this to the point above, seeing as you are the character it is you who decide whether you thought something was funny. Tibia has a lot of "reaction sounds" to different things, such as drinking poison, and I'm sure there's other games that do this as well.

43) Backstab: Hitting the enemy from the back will result greater damage to their health, although the chest and the belly are much more vulnerable.
Hitting him up front he would be aware and would likely attempt to block your attack. Hitting from the back when he's unaware should potentially be lethal.

45) Lore speaking of the world's breaking, but somehow unknown races appear from nowhere in the upcoming expansions, who laid hidden somewhere.
Haha, yeah, this is ridiculous. Though I haven't seen it in any other MMORPG than World of Warcraft.

OK, I'll stop, I didn't mean to take so many. I'm by no means trying to stomp this or anything, I was just a little surprised by the listed "clichés" .. Anyway, I haven't played a whole lot of MMORPGs myself so I'm not really a liable source.

Last edited by a moderator:
ʞııɥs, some of your arguments are considerable, but I have to admit, clichés are meant to affect general MMORGaming; just because Tibia's developers have found some way around to disguise these clichés, it doesn't turn them into no-clichés.

As for unknown races suddenly appearing in the world, Lineage II also used to have it, with the race of Kamael. It's not only a racial issue, it's a class as well. Have a look at WoW for example: Monk suddenly became a known practice in the upcoming expansion, but the whole philosophy of a monk is to not be anywhere close to civilization (in fact, Monk is translated as "Μοναχός" in Greek, which means someone alone, solo). Not to mention that being a Monk is a way of living, not a real class, where you can expertise your skills.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Yeah, I know one exception doesn't make a difference to the general, but I find it hard to believe no other MMORPG has taken the same approach seeing as Tibia was published in 1997.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I didn't even know of that game, is it truly that famous to affect other companies' line of game designing?

I guess not. As an indie game released for free and only available for download online, it never had any commercial success, and it was probably overshadowed by Runescape (assuming so because it seems most people have heard of Runescape) which was released a year or two later. Possibly because Runescape didn't require a client, and had 3D. But if you put aside Ultimate Online, Tibia and Runescape were practically the first MMORPGs out there, and they're both very similar to one another. Then Everquest and Lineage came along and redefined the MMORPG genre, and I think most MMORPGs now are based on that instead. Still, both Everquest and Lineage pretty much withered and died when World of Warcraft came out, yet Tibia (and possibly Runescape) are still hauling in new players - and by that I mean increasing amount of subscriptions, because even though both are free to play, there are additional benefits from being a so-called premium member.

I didn't know Tibia too until I've read this thread... anyway, yeah the light armor thingy is pretty logical, it does make your chances to evade higher since you can move more compared to wearing a heavy armor but it does not equate to actually being able to evade. Especially for mages which focus on the training of the mind and not of the body...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
2) Every champion gets the same currency as a reward, no matter what race they are.
Globalization. Just because they are different races does not mean they will use a different currency for global trade. Afterall, they are all humanoid.

Same reason a professional footballer might not score all the time. You might know how to do something but just not be able to pull it off each time.

6) The weak arrow: Somehow you have to be hit by more than 5 arrows in order to eventually die.
The faces they are made of are suprisingly resistant to arrows. I suspect that is because they are nothing more than a set of numbers encovering a space so there are no real fatal parts.

7) NPCs: Each NPC mysteriously knows who sent you and will gladly give you the reward you are seeking, no matter your appearance of a brutal fighter.
No not honestly tell me you did not know that all NPCs are part of a massive social network. They tweet to each other all event occurances.

8) Somehow animals that die instantly offer you the armor made of their fur, yet no one is around to actually craft them for you.
It is mathematics again. The animal is actually wearing the armor underneath the faces they comprise of. Obviously you will not be able to see it because of clipping but it is completly logical.

9) Critical strike: By some unknown forces, you sometimes have the power to unleash more power with the same mana/rage/life cost.
You might be a genious at magic or be a super battle hardened fighter but you are mentally retarded and unable to realise that applying your attack somehwere is more effective than somehwere else.

More realisticly with complex battle moves you can imagine that it is very difficult to always perform them perfectly. Sometimes you might execute additional actions not part of the orignal move to deal more damage based on many factors which leads to more damage for the same effort.

Yes because it has the power of a monthly subscription behind it. Also not entirly true as the character can only exist as long as someone plays it (so if you die and do not pass on the character it will to eventually die).

I might have 140 IQ but I most certainly cannot backflip and doge bulets like neo from the matrix.

Not always ture. What is more nonsense is that at 1 HP you can move around completly fine and be healed to max health yet suddenly at 0 HP you completly die and need to be "resurrected" instead of just healed.

Neithor does the Command Centre in StarCraft II rune out of fuel when flying. Equally well neithor does the U.S.A. run out of money.

If you studied the moves you would probably find that casting them too fast is very bad for your health. Obvioulsy this would bore most people so developers leave details on such issues out.

More likly the town's border force is stupidly harsh on foriengers so they no longer even try to enter.

21) Bonuses: Buffs always have a duration, they can't be cast by a sorcerer eternally, no matter if you want them to.
Probably for health reasons, seeing how magic often is close to the soul. As you character is skilled in magic he will obviously not perform something that will needlessly endanger his health when casting.

22) Color mode: A skinny orc of level 70 is somehow stronger than a 12 level giant spider.
And Seperoth from Final Fantasy 7 blew up our solar system just to inflict a few hundred damage to cloud and company. Size is not everything.

24) Incompatible abilities: You reach out to the top level, in order to gain a certain ability, but some monster of level 20 possesses that ability already.
That is why they are an evil monster and you are a stupid good humanoid thingy.

25) Accessories like Necklaces, Rings and Earrings are wearable by males as well. They also happen to provide resistance to magic.
Mr T seems to have no problem wearing them. What makes you think that males are unable to wear them? The magic resistance is because they are enchanted with it.

26) Spells with tooltips like "devastating attack", yet not powerful enough to be lethal.
Have you played the SEGA genisis? It has unbelivably realistic graphics and run in a full 8 bit of colour!

Aka... marketing nonsense.

27) Fire spells always light off after some seconds.
Well gemoetric faces are not particually flamable. It is like burning numbers, not going to work well.

29) Lack of mana making you useless in battle, "spiritually" tired, although your health is full and you can walk and attack normally.
Because punching demons that can destroy whole cities is being useful? Probably safer to stand there and regenerate your mana to cast your metors of doom instead.

30) Fire spells can also work underwater and deal the same amount of damage.
There is water? I thought it was just a space filled with different behaviour.

33) A skeleton being 21 level in one area and 78 in another.
Thats the difference between a generic skeleton of fail and Murry the destroy of worlds and incarnation of evil. More likly that the necromancers who made the 21 skeltons were noobs while the necromancers who made the 78 skeltons cheated.

35) Holy spells having a cross (Christianity) as an icon, but the god of that race is fictional.
The relgion was a cult of Christanity that branched off.

36) The corpses of the ones you slay will fade out after some point and recycle themselves (respawn) with the same level and power.
Just like your character when it dires.

37) Static mana cost: No matter how many times you cast a spell, you will never find a way to use less energy to cast it.
No mater how haard you try, you will never be able to beat your computer at mathematics. Spells have limits and those limits have already been reached.

If they did not, their boss would probably kill them anyway for being a failure.

41) Your champion can only sicken by some other source (also known as "debuff"), they can't get the flu or anything else.

Geometry seems to have this kind of behaviour. Afterall, when was the last time you heard a rectangual-primism do any of that?

50) Even if you are a thief, the world won't reject you for being a total punk.
Bad justice system.

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
See now, if you subverted or lampshaded many of these you'd have one heck of an MMO.

For instance, if you had a situation where characters only had one life, chosing whether to buy the 30 HP restore potion from the official vendor... or the "unstable and strangely-coloured" 45 HP restore potion from the crazy alchemist would have more weight.

Level 12
I do not think that this 50 list is not a MMORPG cliche and I hate the e', it should be tossed out of the english language. Cliche is overusing something. Because the game system is programmed to do this, to spawn units with same abilities, hitpoints or mana, it can not work like in real life and in real life monsters do not respawn.

It can only work as a game, it can not completely turn to real life and the 50 list is not all true and realistic.

Level 11
I can keep all this junk in my inventory and not get any slower.
Even if I am carrying 50 axes for no reason.

Tibia has a "weight" limit in exchange for unlimited bag space (which is limited by the number of bags you have on you) and it slows you down the more you carry.

Most MMORPG's only follow this kind of quests:

Kill X amount of Y
Talk to X person
Retrieve X item.
Go to X place.

If you were a hired adventurer what would they send you out to do otherwise?

Which also brings another cliche:
-You are always supposed to become a great adventuring warrior with the purpose kill stuff.

Its funny how many mmorpg's use all these cliches, not to a 100% but they all have a lot in common. :)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I can keep all this junk in my inventory and not get any slower.
Even if I am carrying 50 axes for no reason.
The weight problem could easilly be solved without needing to slow a character down (and thus ruin gameplay).

Just introduce a sort of porter service into the game mechains. Your actual inventory on you is very small yet you can assign drops to be moved around by the porter service. If you stay near the designated loot you should actually see a guy come round with a wagon of kinds and collect the stuff.

For practicle purposes you have 3 inventory tiers. Working set (self) inventory which you can access and change at any time. Camping storage which is what the porters are meant to be lugging with them. Finally you have your stash which bulk storage that does not follow you around on your adventures.

The mechanic then introduces a delay to change items between tiers. Inorder to get items from the porter to yourself you have to stay in an area a while to allow him to "catch up". You can always drop items off yourself for him to "collect" (obviously these items cannot be touched by other players). Inorder to access your stash remotly you have to do it via the porter giving him both pickup and drop orders. Ofcourse if you are physiclly at your stash or porter you can transfer items immediatly as much as you want.

The unique part of the system is that geography will effect your inventory access. If you are far away from your stash it will not be worth while to drop or fetch just 1 item. The porters obviously have to be unkillable and mostly will be invisible (to conserve server resources).

Would work best in a faction based MMORPG where the stash is space allocated by the faction and the porters are meant to be getting paid by the factions to handle item movement.

Level 15
Here's another cliche; No matter how ugly your character is, people would still like you, and sometimes would propose romance, depending on Charisma or whatever attribute that is. Although I am not really sure if this applies to MMO, probably just single player RPGS.

Vunjo

Hosted Project: SC
Level 14
57) Don't QQ about MMORPGs if you haven't played all of them (which is impossible, ofc). Try Vindictus for example. You can take/destroy/throw almost any shit in there.

6)Games are meant to be balanced, and fun. If archers would be overpowered like that, everyone would take them, and it would become both boring and completely imbalanced. Take LoTR scene for example. Where Legolas kills 50 orcs, while the dwarf kills only 3 of them.

Overall, realisation is complete stupidity in games. ESPECIALLY, in Mmmorpgs, mostly the Medieval ones. The magic wouldn't even exist in those games...
If you prefer playing a game that is 100% realistic, go play Pacman.

Sincerely,
Every normal medieval fantasy fan.

Vunjo

Hosted Project: SC
Level 14
So, I guess this is meant for WoW as well....

I find it awkward that on THW, which is mainly Wc3 and Sc2 site, which are both Blizzard's games, to find a thread against WoW.

+WoW continues the story (In a different way) of Wc3.

EDIT: Oh Btw:

2) Racist alert.

7) Since nobody reads the entire quests, you can't know it for sure. Still, there could be 3 reasons why the NPC heard of you:
1. Rumors
2. Your Character told him in 1 part of the quest.
3. Your Character is dressed like it/looks like it or whatever.

8) This is again the story as I wrote before. It depends on the game we are talking about. While in some games you get completed armor, in other ones you just get materials for it. Leveling is most of the time boring. It's easier if you just get through it as fast as you can, therefore, having already made armors and weapons from animals is actually good. Otherwise, it would be waste of a time.

9) Critical Strike exists in real life, my friend. Depending on the position of your and your opponent's sword, you are sometimes able to attack him just in a hand, while the other times, in head/neck or any other weak spot.

10) I can troll this with 2 arguments:
1. Welcome to the Fantasy world, place which is never ending, etc.
2. Imagine leveling in WoW for 6 months then wiping in a raid and everything you done is over... Again, it depends on the game, but on the type of game as well. In normal RPGs, you don't usually respawn, because it is single-player. That's why, you respawn in MMORPGs, because it's server saved, thus you can never load your character back. It should be obvious enough.

12) Definition of a mage should be someone who can use his wisdom, and magical powers to protect himself from the enemies. Therefore, he doesn't need to be swift in order to "dodge" an attack, cause he can simply create a barrier. Also, most of the mages are old, because young ones are not wise enough to cast most powerful ancient spells, making them less efficient in combat.

13) Rock is defined as the Earth Element. Earth Elements usually have stun or slow, because they affect the character's movements (For example Earthquake). Similar thing is if a big rock is thrown on you.

14) Fantasy, and Religion.

16) It indeed does in WoW, the most popular MMORPG.

17) Makes the game fun for pros to use their knowledge, in order to make a perfect rotation of spells.

19) And what have you done while leveling? Exactly, nothing important for your land/people. You may be famous by NPCs, if you have some Reputation. Same thing is for players, if you are skilled/geared whatever you will be quite popular. It's normal.

Last edited:
Mostly agree with Pharaoh. And I would like to say THANKS. I am making a map, and I want it to be realistic, so I will use this thread as WHAT NOT TO DO LIST.
I would also like to mention that these are cliches are not only for MMORPGs, but also for many maps here on Hive.

EDIT: Some of the games/maps do not follow all of the cliches.
The Witcher: Whenever you make a potion without a recipe, there is a major chance of getting weakened, slowed, blinded, generally debuffed.
Unholy Invasion: You need to buy arrows.

Some of the rules are explainable.
7)The weak arrow - Did you forget about armors? They are supposed to protect you from arrows.
9)Critical Strike - I see it as a chance to hit a critical spot, so you will deal more damage.
12)Light Armor - It is logical. The heavy armor will reduce your chance to evade/dodge. Rogues, assassins and hunters are experienced in dodging attacks, so they will dodge them. Mages are not experienced in dodging attacks, so even if they have some thin armor which does not restrict their movement abilities, they won't dodge attacks.

Some of the rules are cliches, but they are good rules.
God - What do you want, to die and have to make a new character?
Respawning creeps - With so many players, there is no other way than this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.