• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-game Mapping Contest #4

Mini-game Mapping Contest #4 concept.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 37
Mini-RPG, huh?

I don't see how that works actually. If it's something combined with heroes and mini-game, it have to be some kind of simple defensive map. So my vote goes to defensive type of a map(any kind of defensive map actually, let's leave the theme open enough so it's not too limited and many will join(plus we'll have different kind of entries)).

Starting on a new contest already. I just spent about 1 and a half weeks on my last mini game nonstop to get it in because I was ultra late D: and am still trying to make improvements on it for an actual release in the map section to perfection. Luckily I have 3 times the amount of time know for another contest other than there being no holidays :D. I might join if it ends out being something I like again:). I suggest going with a maze, puzzle, mysterious or confusion mini-game theme, because that'll be really fun:). Anything like that and I might consider joining again.

Level 11
I dont like the "3 different game modes" requirement lol
but i would vote for either arena or defense

Edit:
Also, i vote for a rule that it must be playable and fun with only 3 or 4 players. Because that was kinda a problem in the last contest :p

Last edited:
Level 11
I actually have a pretty good idea for this :D
My official vote goes to arena type minigame (i think it would be the most exciting)

As far as the game modes go, how about just having a single player mode as well as a multiplayer mode? (for single player you could do a.i. or just make it playable with one person)

Level 17
I voted for defense because it's cool to make games such as Tower Defense, Castle Defense, hell even the Jurassic Park and Kodo Tag kind of games! :D

Level 37
Puzzle is so not unique. I voted for Defense, which seems to be underestimated (well, it comes second in poll, not that underestimated). Defense doesn't have to be a TD concept, it could be anything that exhibits a defensive attitude and gameplay.

Indeed.

I think the idea of puzzle is hard to create except if you copy the idea from another game. My experience is that in the end there will be like few completed entries only. Defense in other case is so open theme that there would be many successful entries.

Yes, I agree with your points too. I just feel that puzzle reflects static knowledge of what you've played before and doesn't offer enough of space to add that creative flare. Defense on the other hand can have various aspects, as to where it takes places, as to how the units will be set; it offers fun and strategic gameplay at the same time, while Puzzles most likely consist of a specific order of actions, that are required, before you proceed to the next level, and that makes me close the map before even finishing it (translation: boring).

What if being unique is criteria for the judges? Then there will be no ideas taken from other games.

If no ideas were allowed to be rehashed at all, there would only be a couple of games for each genre in existence - and Warcraft III wouldn't be one of them.

Originality isn't always the key to success, it's more what you do with what you're presented with. Like say Warcraft III. The ideas of heroes in a RTS had been used prior to Wc3, but the game took it to another level by improving and popularizing it.

Not saying that trying to incorporate new things are bad, but it should hardly be something that makes or breaks a game - or in this case map.

Status
Not open for further replies.