1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Music Contest #10 - Results are finally published! Drop by to check some retro songs and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Join Terraining Contest #19 and witness the aftermath!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 3rd Melee Mapping Contest is ON! Join in on a ride of a 4v4 melee experience!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 30th edition of the Modeling Contest is finally up! The Portable Buildings need your attention, so come along and have a blast!
    Dismiss Notice

microrunnertd 1.0.2

Submitted by Cokemonkey11
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.

microrunnertd

A map by Cokemonkey11

Contents
* Introduction
* Screenshots
* Races
* Version Control
* Changelog
* Hosting
* Contributing

Introduction

microrunnertd is a tower defence map that draws inspiration from the once popular map, Gridlock, by
Envious. In this two-player map, players build towers along a labyrinth area that creeps can walk
through. Where this map differs from traditional tower defence maps is in the path that creeps
follow: in microrunnertd, the player controls a fragile runner which must evade the creeps while
guiding them to their towers.

There are 42 waves in total, including, among other special rounds, boss and spell immune ones. If,
during any round, both players runners are killed, the game ends in a defeat.

Utilize shared income and agreed running routes to boost your chances of winning, as this is a
highly team-dependant game. However, do consider your first match as a practice run. The game
becomes more difficult in hard mode.

Screenshots

Loading Screen

[​IMG]

Cinematic Shot

[​IMG]

Slaying Round 2

[​IMG]

Guiding Runner on a Strong Path

[​IMG]

Many towers have Powerful Abilities

[​IMG]

Races

[​IMG] Spirit: The spirit race specializes in magic and spell damage, but has a healthy mix of all
damage types.

Spirit has powerful crowd control and healing abilities.

Spirit does exceptionally well against boss levels due to their Runner's Storm Bolt upgrade.

Their ultimate tower is the Spiritlizard, which has global attack range.
[​IMG] Wasteland: The wasteland race specializes in piercing and siege damage, and generally has a
lot of brute force power.

Wasteland has some healing capabilities and exceptionally powerful anti-armor due to their Runner's
Bristleburst upgrade.

Wasteland has multiple high-tier towers that have additional attack attributes, making them more
resilient to armor type variation in the late game.

Their ultimate tower is the Windforge Harpy, which has a tri-attack.
[​IMG] Metal: The metal race specializes in normal damage, and in particular is designed to have
few, high-power towers.

Metal is generally an expensive race, and has the most difficult early-game, during which it depends
on the basic tower.

Metal's Runner has a strong armor type. This race has the strangest mechanics of the three,
including an aura tower that can prevent towers from killing creeps.

Metal has a tower that can gain power indefinitely. Their ultimate tower is the Leviathan Well,
which summons the Leviathan to fight for you.

Version Control

All iterations of this map are maintained in a public git repository at
https://bitbucket.org/Cokemonkey11/microrunnertd/

Changelog

1.0.2 7 July 2016:
  • The map is now written entirely in Wurst
  • A new race has been added - Metal.
  • Added a new "run away" sound.

1.0.0c 16 June 2014:
  • Fixed one bug
  • Made minor tweaks

1.0.0b Data Unknown:
  • Changelog lost.

1.0.0a 30 May 2014:
  • Initial Version Uploaded to hiveworkshop.com as part of Mini Mapping Contest #9. See the thread
    here: http://goo.gl/yPlMmy

Automatic Hosting

Release versions of this map are uploaded to both MMH and
ENT.

Contributing

I will merge atomic, well-formed pull-requests if they are consistent with my design policies and
issue tracker.

Contents

microrunnertd 1.0.2 (Map)

1. Krisent

Krisent

Resources:
    Resources:
    Looks cool.

2. Mech_Warrior

Mech_Warrior

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hey Cokemonkey,

Wow, nice map! Just got done playing it with a friend, and I have to say that it's a unique take on a TD. I hope you continue working on it.

One suggestion if you continue to update it: Have you considered making it 8 players, with 4 teams of 2? Not only would this incorporate more players per game, but you could add elements through which players can interact with each other's games. You could have PvP modes where you try to be the last team standing, or even a co-op where you can aid the other 2-person teams, etc. Something to keep in mind if you keep working on it.

Overall 4.5/5, .5 taken off because there are only three races, which makes it limited atm.

3. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11

Wurst Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Hi Mech_Warrior,

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate that you took a minute to give me your thoughts.

Thanks! I'm glad you guys enjoyed it. I suggest playing on hard mode next time if you think you're up for it ;)

I'm always happy to hear suggestions, because in my experience there's rarely a "bad idea". I have a plan/desire to make the map support more players. See:

https://bitbucket.org/Cokemonkey11/microrunnertd/issues/14/map-should-allow-4-players-on-two

My idea was to have 4 different maps (kind of like what you see in mad balls arena elmination tournament), but with a twist: two of the maps are mirrior image of each other. Teams of 2 players each pick their map to play on. If they pick the mirror image maps, they race to win first!

I thought this could be fun for another reason: the nature of this map is that different terrain has a big impact on the way you play/run.

Do you think this could be a decent take on your idea?

Yes, I understand, ideally I would have 8 races, but I think for now I could only plan to ever have 4. The metal race took me around 50 hours to make!

Don't forget this map is a public resource, so if you have some ideas for a race, you could always hack it in, or let me know what you think :)

Regards,

4. xXxMKDxXx

xXxMKDxXx

Resources:
    Resources:
    Add more players !

5. Shadow Fury

Shadow Fury

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    That's a good and quite original TD game! I don't need to stand and watch my towers killing creeps all day thanks to the idea of having a runner to control. However, here are some points I want to discuss with you, starting with the most important ones:

- I played all races and I must say Spirit race is underbalanced under a few aspects. Some of the starting towers deal magic damage, making them very weak against medium armour. I had hard times getting through the first waves, not to mention when the dryads' wave came. The only two pierce towers were the Archarcher (what a cool name XD) and Dorran the Archer. The former couldn't use her special skill and the latter was weak. I had to run around for one entire minute to kill them all. I wouldn't be saying this if I had had such problems with the other two races which were relatively easier to play. However, I don't mean it's impossible to win the game with that race. To balance things out, I suggest you change Archpriest's and Archarchpriest's (lol, another cool name) damage to pierce
    - 3 races are insufficient, but considering that there are only 2 players, it's fair. However, I believe this map can sustain up to 4 players and more players = more races. Think it over
    - When I kill the two Quill Mastahs, the round ends even if there are summoned boars on the ground. You should fix that
    - The race Metal is a bit off the mark. Most of its units have nothing to do with metal/machinery so I wonder why its name is like that. The stats of towers are all right, nothing wrong with them, though I'd recommend changing the models and names of those towers into something more metal-like. Frankly, when I picked this race, I expected to build things like tanks and robots

That's all I can say. Map approved with a rating of 3/5 !

6. O.Elayadi

O.Elayadi

Resources:
    Resources:
    Cool map 5/5 :thumbs_up:
    i wanna to see better maps soon ok?

7. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11

Wurst Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the review! I should remind you that the runner concept is not my original idea. Credit where credit is due: this is the work of Envious.

Thanks for the comment. Right now I Think the wasteland race is the most powerful one, since they have so many features that ignore armor types. Yes, in solo mode Spirit probably has some difficulty in the start of the game.

A couple more comments:

* The game tends to be much easier (with any race) in solo mode.
    * The game should be balanced towards hard mode, which is only available with two players.

Yes, as mentioned above, I would like to add 2 more players - but not directly into the running area. I have some other ideas that are more ambitious. I don't know if I'll ever make time for that though. Same with races. Making a race is a drafting process, and the Metal race took a number of days to finalize.

Good spot! I had noticed this, but never added it to my tracker. See https://bitbucket.org/Cokemonkey11/microrunnertd/issues/28/quill-mastah-round-should-not-end-until

The race is referring to Metal music/lifestyle. It's meant to be humorous (like archarcher etc ;) ) Black metal often has undead/ice themes, and technical metal often has badass/monster themes. I'm sorry you didn't catch on :)

Thanks again for the play-test.

8. Shadow Fury

Shadow Fury

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Yeah, you said that, but it's fine if you do that. Concerning Warcraft, it is something original.

I'll be waiting for that!

Aaaaah that explains it. My bad :/

9. gusanomental

gusanomental

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  10. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    General Review notes:
    -Good-looking and clear loading screen.
    -The short cinematic in the beginning also perfectly clarifies exactly what you are supposed to do.
    -I was automatically dealt spirit after a pretty short delay. I'd like some more time to choose.
    -The little village you run around in is beautiful! Minimalistic with delicate placement of doodads. The ship in the north-eastern cornor was questionable but ok. :)
    -I really like the concept.
    -Good, clear coloured text.
    -Fun audiable messages in the beginning of each wave, and proper sound effects.
    -Maybe a bit too little time after each wave. I felt a bit stressed. Perhaps increase it with like 10 seconds and give the option to skip to the wave when you are ready? (this felt better later though. no need to change)
    -You gotta be careful so that you don't split the group of enemies around the island you focus in the beginning, forcing you to be more of a tactician. Good.
    -Fun tooltips on towers. "Powerful drug dealer. Deals powerful drugs." :D
    -Ranged chasing units aswell! Good twist that keeps the game feel more dynamic.
    -Actives on towers is nice too. Can give you a nice advantage if you are good at micro-controlling.
    -"Bandito Masterino"! After this wave I started lookingat every creep name.
    -Given the new design of the creep lanes, it is not that obvious where your most powerful towers should go, which is nice. Gives you mroe creative workspace. :)
    -Ah fck. I became sloppy at level 9, messed up and died. It was a little bit sad to have to restart the game from scratch then. Perhaps a few more lives would be nice?
    -Being able to skip the start cinematics. This maps seems to have no loose ends.
    -Skeletal runner for the metal race? Feels like something more fitting could repalce it.
    -"Archarcher" :D ...Your mind must be one of the best places in the world!
    -Maybe possible you could make the runner run forward automatically when it spawns. However, the reaction time you have plays a small role in your general success, so maybe not.
    -The cow caller was not very strong for its cost.
    -I died at level 11 again this time with the spirit. This time I was smart enough to save, but loading the game crashed Warcraft :/

Easter eggs I found:

-The exploding frog kinda shocked me when clicked. I was about to complain that it was in the way of my building, but nope. :D
    -The startled lady in the south-east.
    -...and that she turns into a jumping acolyte.
    -The flying boat in the north-east?

Summary:
    Clarity is key, and this map has it.
    The concept of this map is outstanding! I've really never encountered anything like this before. In most other tower defences you have nothing to do when the creeps start rolling in, but here you have a completely new task at hand: escaping them!
    That also allows for a non-linear and new way of creating the "creep lanes". You've also made sure using smart tile placement and doodads that one can not just mass towers in one little aquare and just run around that.
    Really, the base concept is the best part of the map, which is an awesome fundation.

I usually have lots of things to say about improvement to be made, but I found very little in this map.
    This is a solid well-made map, with great concept and fun factor. I rarely rate maps 5/5, but this is one of them.

11. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11

Wurst Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the review!

Okay, there's a timer dialog during this period, but I agree this is a problem I've seen in past. I've created an issue for this: Bitbucket

Interesting! My experience was that the game seemed to get a bit too easy, but I suppose that happens when you test your own map a hundred times.

What if [in normal mode - not an option in hard mode] after dying, you have three lives to try again - but the catch is that you lose out on any gold from the creeps that you failed to kill. This will make it easier to advance/finish the game, but increasingly more difficult each time you die.

Copy-pasted from above:

Possibly true. But I suspect then that the Cow God is a bit overpowered. In future I might add metrics so I can evaluate this, but at present I think it's pretty okay. In particular, summoned tauren become much stronger once you have an ice obelisk.

Hmm I never thought about this. Do you know if this can be fixed?

:) There's at least one more big one to find

Thanks again for the review. I'd be happy to play with you together in hard mode next time!

---

Historically, only I have touched this project, but I'm very happy to accept contributions - Bitbucket

12. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Sounds like a good idea.
    Nope, sorry. I've never encountered it before. :/
    Damnit! :D

13. Sirmarkis29

Sirmarkis29

Resources:
    Resources:
    amazing map mister! keep up and bring new updates ;)
    5/5 for simplicity and ez to play! :D
    Have a amazing and chill day mister :)