1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Rubbed the right way, the genie is out of its lamp! The 12th Concept Art Contest Results have been announced.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Methods used to increase/decrease difficulty in a campaign

Discussion in 'Idea Factory' started by Lord Esdin, Jan 25, 2020.

1. :Elite:

:Elite:

Resources:
    Resources:
    I know this is OT but how do u keep the player from running out of income besides large gold mines in missions?

2. Lord Esdin

Lord Esdin

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well its normally not a problem because there was usually 120,000+ gold in the player's mine when I was creating chapters, but besides this there were missions where there was a trigger that gave the player a certain amount of gold every half minute or so as long as his town hall was alive, a similar trigger was used to give the player gold if he captured a specific structure and kept it alive.

For this to work you need to set up a trigger that checks: whether a structure exists on the map, whether the structure is alive, and whether the player is the owner of the structure, then for the action you have to set the player's gold to his current gold + (whatever amount of gold you want to give him) This needs to be set up as a re-occuring trigger.

3. :Elite:

:Elite:

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wait so its sorta of a salary system

4. Lord Esdin

Lord Esdin

Resources:
    Resources:
    Never thought of it like that. But yes essentially

5. Reon

Reon

Resources:
    Resources:
    Since you were in the process of making a campaign; did you have any missions where you had to complete the quest(s) in a certain amount of time, and this time limit would change depending on the difficulty? Im curious because I thought about doing this myself

6. Lord Esdin

Lord Esdin

Resources:
    Resources:
    I never liked timed mission, but a buddy of mine was working on a chapter where you have to invade and destroy all the enemy bases before the enemy’s main army arrives on the scene. You were given exactly two hours to do this after you assaulted the first base. If you didn’t destroy all the bases before then it was game over. But the time on that mission was never dependent on difficulty. It was always 2 hours….it was a damn hard mission nevertheless.

7. Reon

Reon

Resources:
    Resources:
    :/ always assumed giving a player less time will harden any chapter

8. Lord Esdin

Lord Esdin

Resources:
    Resources:
    Like I said I never liked timed missions, why put the players of your campaign through something you don't like being put through yourself ?

9. Reon

Reon

Resources:
    Resources:
    :) ur right

10. Lord Esdin

Lord Esdin

Resources:
    Resources:
    I feel like fun is really what playing any campaign/game is all about. Why take away from that by adding a time limit (I mean unless it's absolutely necessary)

11. Spear

Spear

Resources:
    Resources:
    Just give the enemy more units including heroes -that should do it

12. Lord Esdin

Lord Esdin

Resources:
    Resources:
    it works but changes the gameplay, for instance I call working on a map. On normal you play against a heavy fortified based with just a human paladin as the only hero, on hard the enemy is given an additional mountain king hero, not does this only increase the difficulty of the map, but it totally alters the gameplay

13. Spear

Spear

Resources:
    Resources:
    That totally depends on how you implement it