• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Metastasis

Metastasis
In a research sector of the United Security Initiative known only as 198X2, a group of scientists and station personnel are assaulted by an unknown threat. As their colleagues die one by one, they must fight to survive and figure out who is doing this to them, and how to stop it.

The Game
Metastasis is best described as a survival game. At the start, one or several players will be secretly selected as your opponents. You will be placed within a space station in the sector 198X2 and must figure out who is the enemy, and kill him before he kills you and your fellow humans.

Depending on the number of players in the game, there will be one or several enemies.
1-4 players: A lone enemy, who will either be a former researcher mutating rapidly into a cunning adversary, or an alien organism killing off station workers for unknown reasons.
5-9 players: Both the mutant and the alien work to kill your team as well as each other. Only one side can stand victorious.
10-12 players: The mutant and the alien are once again your adversaries, but rumors abound of a cold, metallic killer waiting to rise and annihilate every living thing in the sector.

Humans
To aid you in your fight, you have a myriad of station resources and your own education to assist you.
Being a research group in a theoretically dangerous sector, stations are equipped with state of the art military supplies, including many types of combat suits of varying abilities. You have been trained to use these suits, albeit only against the organisms on the local planet. No doubt you can adapt them to perform other, more murderous tasks. There is also an assortment of defensive and offensive weaponry, from stationary turrets and force shield generators to grenades and mighty fusion bombs.
You also carry your life experience and career with you. There are nine possible careers assigned to you at the beginning of the game, from researchers with various doctorates to a visiting captain of the battlecruiser Swagger to the lowly local janitor. Each career provides a unique benefit and alters your initial equipment and monetary income.

Enemies
The mutant and alien both have strong physical capabilities. Each is capable of overpowering an unequipped human easily. However, they are alone, and hate each other as much as they hate humans. The mutant and the alien both sport an ever changing genetic code- within the span of mere hours they can change their physical and mental makeup drastically. As the game goes on, each will slowly evolve into more powerful forms. Eliminating them early will prevent them from overpowering you with massive strength, dominant mental abilities, or swarms of minion-like organisms.

Infection
The mutant has the ability to evolve a infectious called a prion. By weakening the human body, the prion eventually forces a genetic change in the host, altering it to serve the original mutant and take its form.
The alien also has a similar parasitic microorganism it launches into humans, slowly weakening them and eventually eating them away. By doing so, the parasite grows into a facsimile of the original alien, while retaining traces of the infectee's personality, though twisted into serving the alien leader.

Stations
Featured in the sector are four space stations and a planet situated around a single star. Each station has unique capabilities and can be visited at any time by using one of several types of spaceships or escape pods. The largest station is the U.S.I. Queen Niffy, which boasts a large infrastructure and fleet of spaceships, as well as many curious research labs dedicated to the sector. Other stations include the Arbitress, an advanced sensors station, the Kyo Station, which is a container for the experimental Kyo Cannon spatial artillery platform, an old unused station now scheduled for demolition. These are all situated around the orbit of the local planet Minertha, a terraformed but as yet uncolonized planet. A small military station was set up some time ago, but no one currently occupies it.
A battlecruiser from the U.S.I. fleet is also currently visiting the sector.

Credits
An extensive list of credits for the artwork featured in the game can be found within the F9 menu of the game. Special thanks needs to be given to to Clan Sirs, Catar, DarkLink_Rper, EnragedBullfrog, OmeedESF, Mooglefrooglian, mrzwach, lorg, Aenir, Scruffymurphy, Jarkill, InfernoInfernal, and especially Kodua.

UPDATE (1.8.2):
-See changelog at http://thegoodsirs.net
I don't even anymore

Keywords:
parasite, who'sthealien, mystery, alien, mutant, space
Contents

Metastasis (Map)

Reviews
00:56, 30th Jul 2009 Linaze: Lacks a proper description.
Level 5
is it normal for all the doors in the game to close and open like crazy? and if you stand in the middle they hit you >.< since the begining of the game to the end they open and close. everytime i play this happens :C

Level 4
That is intended to be a new random event. If it's happening to you every game, you must be above the odds, because as far as I know no one else has reported this problem.

do tell if it keeps happening to you every game.

Level 13
It's hard to believe that after all this time the game STILL supports team killing, and even encourages it.

It used to give you money for killing people.

Money used to be important.

It doesn't encourage TKing at all; your win rate is basically 100% if you run the candy-ass testing tactic. Assuming you're human, of course.

Level 4
We neither encourage nor discourage TKing. If that's the strategy you choose to use, so be it.

However, I would (in my own opinion) say that TKing is actually definitely one of the harder ways to win. The easiest way to win would be to get everyone to cooperate and use GITs to figure out who is the alien. Whomever refuses to take a test is likely either the alien or a future TKer of some kind, and can therefore be killed by the rest of the group.

If you engage in random (or strategic) killing of persons, you are much more likely to be targetted by the rest of the game, and therefore unlikely to win.

/Not encouraging or discouraging team killing

(extra sidebar: is anyone really on your team? and is there therefore any team killing at all? food for thought)

Level 2
No one can kill me if im ready to fight vs tesla i know how im gone kill tesla suit guy (too easy) but if there 2 tesla no chance :Dget out from your suit and RUN faster your can.

And new bug when reviver alien revive some people in zombie form cant infect them :D and zombies HUMAN:D alien killed everyone :D and revive us after. we(zombies) killed alien and alien spawns:D :D and HUMANITY WON:D

When he try infect zombies saying you cant infect organics things.

Level 12
if you allow team killing, at least allow typing after getting killed too, so we can insult and flame on the douchebag for unfairly killing us :ogre_haosis:

ok seriously, at least allow only private typing with player who killed us.

Level 4
Can't allow any communication with dead players, due to spectator system and cheating.

Furthermore, allowing flaming is never a good thing. Anywhere. The definition of flaming declares its uselessness.

Level 10
We neither encourage nor discourage TKing. If that's the strategy you choose to use, so be it.

However, I would (in my own opinion) say that TKing is actually definitely one of the harder ways to win. The easiest way to win would be to get everyone to cooperate and use GITs to figure out who is the alien. Whomever refuses to take a test is likely either the alien or a future TKer of some kind, and can therefore be killed by the rest of the group.

If you engage in random (or strategic) killing of persons, you are much more likely to be targetted by the rest of the game, and therefore unlikely to win.

/Not encouraging or discouraging team killing

(extra sidebar: is anyone really on your team? and is there therefore any team killing at all? food for thought)

yeah, they are, at least when I check the Ally tab :p

I'm just sayin, random killing is a negative, a negative that you can change, but choose not to.

is that suit still in the game that one shots people? cause it's ridiculous.

Level 3
One question, you might know me from slynet W/e, Why did you make the game more noob friendly? As removing stimpacks, the corporal boots as example more annoying then stims, since anyone can use stims.

Level 13
One question, you might know me from slynet W/e, Why did you make the game more noob friendly? As removing stimpacks, the corporal boots as example more annoying then stims, since anyone can use stims.

Stims were removed exactly because everyone could use them. When everyone has 10 stims at any given time - which had always been the case since money was removed - they are completely pointless.

Level 3
Stims were removed exactly because everyone could use them. When everyone has 10 stims at any given time - which had always been the case since money was removed - they are completely pointless.

They aren't pointless if you extend the timer, such as 10sec boost but 15sec till you can use again + slowed down 25% for 2sec after running, it gives strategy such as hiding. Infact it can be used as Strategy anyway if you have cryo suit or something that slows the hunter/attacker down. Point being, 10sec use 10sec cd is pointless

Level 4
This map is Really Awesome, I like it.
5/5

Suggestion: I think a net bomb will be good, a bomb that will explode in 3 second and ensnare nearby units. So we can set fusion bomb >:)

Level 1
:thumbs_down:This game sufferring totally by noobs wich do not know play it as a result at all as i know by my expirience there is no more than 1000 perspons who play this map at all AND I MEAN IT i know very well that this i saying exist as i did a stastic test and saw that in all realms noone almost know this game and each realm got a llot of people lets say 100.000 only 100 play this game by realms so game its good but hard for a lot people and now we going to other side to PROS pros or some of them they know EXTREMELLY good this game and this having a result to getting snob and arrogant a***holes that's result a ruin in game and the point is that peoples as i said do not play this game only 1000 and i say a lot .... so forum of metastasis puted a bot with some rules... and there is a VERY BASIC RULE WICH MISSING TKERS BAN there is no such a rule so anyone can ruin game by tking and prob is that even if admins accept that tk is bad this specific person and some others wich seems or they think that is smart they earning the respect and trust of admins so having them as friends and so people's report cannot be accepted by admins for tking by specific person i said or any other. As long as the forum do not put enough rules even those 1000 persons who play this game will suffer from game ruiners tkers... self infectors teamers ( and tkers most of all make most of dmg cause killing anyone in their sight wich is not the purpose of game at all). after all game is good.... and congrats to.... fel

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 2
So is production done with? I heard rumors of a sequel for StarCraft II. If this is true, I'm totally for it! Otherwise, I'd love to see this map expanded on a bit more.

Level 4
Luffy is correct, we are indeed making Metastasis 2 as a standalone game. Production is currently underway, with intermittent updates being posted at our website (http://slynet.co). We expect something playable soon.

Level 4
Currently, I am working on Metastasis 2 alone, converting it into a standalone game running on the Source engine.

Level 12
Alone? And what happened to Fel? And I didn't know it was possible to simply create a game in someone's else Engine... Hum. Well, although I may not like Metastasis as much as some of the Clan's members, I sure am looking forward to play that game. My support to you, Catar.

Level 4
At the moment, I am working on it alone. I will bring in a 3D artist at some point, hopefully soon, although probably not the artist we used to work with (R66-Y), as he is busy with other games in the industry.

Regarding Fel: He has become too busy with life, college, etc. to work on games anymore, and has ceded all of Metastasis' production to me. If and when he becomes able to work on it again, he will of course be brought in immediately. However, do keep in mind that while Fel was the primary creator of Metastasis 1, it was itself quite a group collaboration at times. Many, if not most of the gameplay ideas that made it interesting and unique came from our community.

finally: yes, you can make games in game engines. That's kind of the point of a game engine. However, you can't make money on said games, unless you pay for a license to use the game engine in question.

Level 12
I know that's the point of a game engine. I didn't knew one user could simply create one game out of "nowhere", without doing... Something. Ask permission, buying a program, dunno. I mean, how are you developing it right now on Source? A more "complete" version of GMod or something?

Level 4
I'm using the Source SDK (software development kit), which is available to game developers to create games using the engine, for free. The games cannot be released commercially without paying for a license, however, as I said.

Game engines are often released for free like this because it makes much more sense commercially. By allowing any developer to practice using it and making games with it, they become better, and can release better games. If and when those developers move into commercial ventures, the creator of the engine then swoops in and picks up a portion of the profits. Everyone benefits.

Level 4
Currently we hope to release M2 as a paid product on Steam, for probably about five to ten dollars. This is entirely dependent on who we can get for a 3D artist, however.

Level 4
Apologies, we lost ownership of the "slynet.co" domain a while back and I forgot to update that information everywhere. Our old address of "thegoodsirs.com" still functions, so use that in the future.

As for Metastasis 2 (M2), it is still being worked on, albeit not particularly actively. Of the four persons to work on it, three have had to temporarily suspend the project due to life circumstances.

Level 4
The argument for or against more GIT testers (blood samplers, as you refer to them) is an ongoing one at our website that has never reached a solid conclusion. Due to that, we have not changed the amount of them on the map.