• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Metamporphasis... and Trees of life... HELP :<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
im trying to get this metamorphasis working... but it buggs out... how can i get a Shamen to transform into a Tree of life... without the buggyness... when it dose transform it wont move, it wont be able to attack or DO ANYTHING... plz... tell me what im doing wrong x.x;

Level 3
When you have it transform, does it transform into the default tree of life? or just something that looks like it?

By the sounds of it, you don't have the transformation set right... Could you post exactly what you did to perform the transformation? I.E. wisp build, trigger, ETC.

Now, I haven't had that much experience with transformation... but I'll try and be helpful none the less.

Level 3
No triggers

Just Metamporphasis, Used the spell by itself. and it transforms correctly, it just bugs out right after it stops.

Level 3
odd... I'm opening the world editor to see if I can get the same result.

Are you using the default tree of life? When I tried it I used the demon hunter and just altered his skill to turn him into the tree of life... the result was odd, but not what you were getting. It did however, make me think that if you set the skill to a building, the cross from unit to building could throw something off.

What have you changed about the tree of life?

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 19
because tree of life doesnt move its a building
you need to make another hero (copy shamen and change model to tree of life) for metamorphosis

Level 3
Well, I did. I used the tree of life model as a hero. it goes to the "Moveable" virsion... should i set the tree of life as a building??... here is how i have it set u

Druid - hero

Tree of life - hero

Metamporphosis spell going back and forth.

BUT here is the funny thing, is when the druid starts out as the tree of life and goes to the normal druid modle, that works but it dosent work going the other way

Druid =/= Tree of life
Tree of life >>>> Druid

Whats up with that

sorry im not really articulating my thoughts but im in a rush...

@Need_Q2 thats what i started with, they are both hero... i can do metamorphosis with anything else... just not the tree of life... (or anything with a second state animation i guess)

Cause, here is a example of when i use metamporphosis to tree...
when i do the druid transforms into the the tree of life, but as if it is just getting built, it goes through the process of building the tree of life, but THEN it transforms into the tree of life (uprooted virsion) then back to the druid within like 2 seconds, and im locked as the buggy druid/tree of lifeish thing.

Level 3
Im not, the character locks up, the only thing i can do afterwards is basically... transform back which bugs it further... i will upload the map so you can see what im talking about.
----------------
When i get home ...

Level 3
well, if the problem is that the tree goes through the build process... did you try setting build time of the tree hero to 1? that way, it would only take it a second... assuming that has anything to do with the problem. that might not be such a good idea if the tree of life hero can be gotten through means other then metamorphosis though.

Level 8
You could do a trigger for it.....I think it would be something like this.

• Events:Unit Uses Spell X
  • Conditions: None
  • Actions: Replace (triggering unit) with (tree of life)
    • Wait (for however long the spell is supposed to last)
    • Replace (tree of life) with (the hero)

Level 3
no, the double post thing was to me. There was a good deal of time between the posts, so I wasn't sure if editing or double posting would be easier for other people to understand. Guess this forum has a strict and active admin base... I knew I'd like it :)

Oh well, thats off topic, back to the matter at hand:

The trigger thing is annoying, if you set up a trigger like that then you would need a ton of other triggers edited and sometimes made, just to keep track of the fact that the tree of life is indeed still that hero. Furthermore, the hero skills wouldn't transfer over to the tree of life, same goes for EXP, stats, and health... so it would all be a pain in the neck to deal with in the end, damaging the games end polish feel.

But, like I said, I don't have much experience with this category, perhaps there is a trigger function somewhere that I'm forgetting that could fix all those problems.

Level 8
I did a quick experiment. Using two Mafurions (without stags) and using Crow form (a normal ability to save hero ability space). I already know basically the problems. I will place them here to give us all an idea of what is going on.

The first problem is that there are two forms of Tree of life. Rooted and uprooted. That is going to cause you problems when you try to convert from a "walking" humanoid to a living tree.

I plopped one of each version - the malfurion humaniod form and the malfurion tree form. The tree of life form will not convert its model over to the humanoid form. I tried several hero models with the same results. I suspect this has something to do with the root/uproot ability being the "default" alternative model for the tree of life. I am not a modeler I do not know how those sorts of things work.

The humanoid form will convert to tree form and back readily enough, However each time you convert from humanoid form to tree form you will either have to wait until the growth cycle is over or "uproot" immediately.

Since the tree of life comes in two forms (rooted and up rooted) you are going to have an issue with the humanoid form being "rooted" since to convert requires that the tree of life model be rooted for the spell to come up.

You will have to start off with the humanoid form of your hero.

Your hero will have to have the root ability (ancients). I tried to assign him the root ability as part of the trigger. It did not work readily. So just give him the ability.

To get around the rooting problem you are going to have to tie your crow form change ability to a trigger which will automatically cast uproot when a unit casts crow form:

• Tree Form
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Change Tree
    • Actions
      • Wait 0.20 seconds
      • Unit - Order (Casting unit) to Night Elf Ancients - Uproot
Change tree is the name of the customized crow form spell that I used.

If I ever want to trigger that spell I need to refer to Raven form:

• Change into tree
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit - Order Furion Humaniod Form 0357 <gen> to Special Medivh - Raven Form
to covert him back into human form you need to use the alternative to that spell:

• Change into Hero
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit - Order Furion Humaniod Form 0357 <gen> to Special Medivh - Human Form
In the custom spell (which is a copy of crow form) the alternative form is the tree of life hero the default form is, in this case, malfurion.

Start off with two copies of your hero in the Object editor. Assign your humanoid form the root ability and your customized crow form ability.

Assuming you want the stats and abilities of the tree of life, just copy everything you can from the tree of life, adding the ability of crow form *your customized version* to the alternative hero.

Keep it classified as A Hero (don't try to add the classification of A Hero to it via triggers).

The tree of life form will have to root to convert to the human form I can not figure out an around with it in a few minutes - that would most likely take me tinkering around with triggers and stuff before I figure out the ins and outs.

Since I did this in a map I already have, I will have to remove a lot of stuff from that map to make a copy of it to up load here for your edification. I'll add the map in about an hour.

Edit addition: This is not copying over true to a new map - it gets buggy when I copy it all. Let me tinker some more today and I will figure it out.

Final (I hope) Edit:

Attached please find the map Tree Me.

This map is from a campaign that I am working on presently. I cropped the map to 1/4 of its size, left the campaign screen alone (may not make sense to you) removed all of my customized units, except the two heroes that you would need, and all of my customized abilities accept the one that you need.

I did plop down a few enemy units and some elf units to go along with your two heroes.

I placed each version of the hero for your playing pleasure ;).

The triggers should be straight forward and pretty much self explanatory, I tried to place comments with the ones that may have a question.

Now the way around the two models for the tree of life and root/uproot ability is to make both versions of the hero a building. Give both the root/uproot ability and the change tree ability.

As a hero your tree of life will not be able to research abilities/upgrades (sorry no can fix).

As a building your hero will have to root in order to change to either form - and I fear he will have to root in order to train his hero abilities. Sorry, again I can not figure out an around on this.

How I created the hero:

I copied and pasted two custom Malfurions without stag - One I pretty much left alone, adding the custom ability of Change Tree and added root (ancient).

The second one I changed the model, some of the stats and added the ability Change Tree.

Things I DID NOT do that you can do if you want to.

You can make a copy of the Root ability, changing some of its stats such as Duration to make it near immediately - at the moment it takes a bit of time (2.5 seconds I think).

Still use the same trigger command telling the unit to cast root as long as you copy the root ability it will work.

I did not slow down the Tree of life form of the hero - its movement is the speed of the malfurion - if you want to slow it down to the tree of life movement speed then by all means do so.

You can copy and paste - however you will need to copy both units first, then the ability - you will have to change the unknown ability for both units after you move the customized ability. Once you get those moved you can copy and past the triggers.

The trigger that you will absolutely need:

• Tree Form
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Change Tree
    • Actions
      • Wait 0.20 seconds
      • Unit - Order (Casting unit) to Night Elf Ancients - Uproot
      • Wait 0.20 seconds
      • Game - Display to Player Group - Player 9 (Gray) the text: In order to change ...
If you want your hero to be able to move about without uprooting after each change.

If not then you are going to have to include somewhere in your map either the game message "hero needs to be rooted to change/uprooted to move" or in your quest/help section.

I hope this helps.

BTW - DO NOT credit me for anything you use that I give you. I give it freely to you for your use and anyone else who wants to use it.

No kudos wanted or needed.

Cheers

Attachments

• Tree Me.w3x
    183.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Level 19
but he says its hero
well it really should be okay if you only copy shaman and change model file

Status
Not open for further replies.