• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Metamorphosis causes fatal error in my map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hello. I have a pre-Shippuuden Naruto map based off the Chuunin exams etc. called Naruto Ultimate RPG 4.2i, where a hero, Inuzuka Kiba (which uses a custom model) has an alternate form and associated animations. The ability "Shikakyu no jutsu" that he uses to go in this alternate form is based off metamorphosis.

I've come to the conclusion that it sometimes causes many players to instantly crash instantly after the ability is used, (but the player using him may not necessarly crash with the others). After witnessing this problem multiple times, I've come to this conclusion when I clicked the ability while playing the hero for myself, and watched as a handful of other online players instantly crash in the 12-player map.

(On an unrelated note, the ability has caused problems for the hero if he somehow uses it twice - before the duration ends and after the cooldown is complete - this is rare but can happen if it was on before a cinematic started.)

I've never had it cause a crash early in the map, just later in the map. I suspect that there is an undetected bug for the metamorphosis ability that causes a leak that builds up over constant use, and being my map is 1 to 2 hours long, it can be casted many times if the hero Kiba is actively playing.

So my question is - has anyone else had or heard of metamorphosis causing other players in the map to crash in this fashion? Am I improperly using the ability? The crash can still happen even if 0 triggers are associated with it. Is there an alternative ability (such as Avatar?) that I can use instead? Can I create an ability using channel that does the same effect (increased health and agility within a timed duration). Or could it be a glitch with the custom model used for Inuzuka Kiba?

If you need screenshots or anything, I can post them as requested.

Thank you in advance.

Level 6
No. The hero remains a hero. It just metamorphs into its alternate form. Also, it's a custom model that has alternate form animations. So it uses the same .mdx in metamorphosis ability.

I've had issues with base skills before. I try to make everything from scratch using channel now. For instance, I found out the on/off base skill (immolation) I had used for doing mana burn on my byakugan ability created intense lag later in the game when either of the two heroes that had the ability would have it on. I scrambled through my triggers many times and eventually found out it was just a glitch with the base skill (some sort of memory leak that intensified with use) - my triggers were not the problem. I re-did that skill using channel as the base ability instead, and it solved that problem. If I had a way to recreate the effects for the ability without using metamorphosis as a base skill, then I'm quite sure that would solve it.

I tried searching previous threads related to metamorphosis causing fatal errors. But I couldn't find anything related. The hero morphs into another hero using the same model, but with alternate animations. The fatal error does not always happen, but when it does, it occurs immediately, or at least a second or so, after the ability was clicked - and only in the later stages of the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.