• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mercenaries! - LF> mapdesigner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi there,

I'm working on a skirmish strategy map (if you are familiar to tabletop 40k, think Kill Team or Heralds of Ruin).

The concept is a 3v3v3 / 3v3 strategy game where players are limited to 1 hero, ~30 food and the strategy elements are more "Dawn of War 2"-like with control points for resources and very limited building (still allowing creative use of towers). The control points themselves are stylized to be "gold mines" and "lumber mills", also giving a bit of "Heroes 3" feel when it comes to map objects (I think I will dive deeper into Heroes for map object ideas).

The win condition for this map is to kill a huge boss in the middle of the map and bring your hero to channel for some short time in the control circle where the boss used to be. OR to destroy enemy bases. That's the general idea. I want to create a gameplay situation where players will need to be strong to fight boss but also strong to fight each other, and on the path to victory there will be a lot of backstabbing. Think Munchkin, I guess.

Moreover, player gets to choose one of 16 factions to play the map - each race choice in menu allows choice of 4 themed armies (HQ building at start => 4 upgrade paths for that building => 4 armies). Each army is 1-3 heroes to choose from and 5-8 land/flyer unit types and 0-3 naval unit types. Some unit types are same for several factions, but I don't overdo it.

For example, if you choose Human race, factions are:
1) The Academy (caster army with a lot of elves and magic resistant frontline infantry, can build mage towers that cast spells over long distances)
2) Corsairs (fast attack army that is particularily strong at attacking from sea and pillaging, can build harbors)
3) Lordaeron (universal army with strong anti-dark and anti-mage features, can build magic dampeners)
4) Dwarves (item-based technological army that is good at siege, can build shops to have a supply of items at short reach).

And yeah, there is more. But I'm certain I will go with as little triggers as possible, so I'm trying to keep it simple, even though it definitely doesn't sound so.

Now, to the reason why I'm telling you all this:

I can't do terrain. I get utterly disgusted with results I produced so far.
Now, don't get me wrong. I don't have much experience with WE, but I did release mods for other games. I know for certain I will make objects and triggers work eventually.

But I can't paint. I can't make islands look pretty. My school teacher gave me good grades at painting out of pity, I swear )) And jeez, I'm 27 now and still can't draw sht.

What I did:
1) Created map carcass on paper and penned approximate coordinates for some of the dots to get a general carcass:
uRQQ813.jpg

2) Moved those to editor and realized I did it wrong because I needed to mark it with land on water, not water on land *sigh*:
TiaiWLb.png

3) Tried cropping it like 4-5 times, got disgusted each time, here are 2 examples:
K8WcukA.png

hc8EWN4.png

What needs to be done:
I can give away all the coordinates I calculated and share more of an idea. I've got quite a lot on paper, those 16 factions I mentioned have full unit, hero and building lists already (and I know the assets I will use as well, wherever I need them), most of the ability ideas are in place, in terms of paperwork there isn't much left at all, the idea have formed, I have stopped the paperwork. I'm working full time as a game localization project lead and I have very little time, so this will be a slow project, but I'm sure as hell I want to drag it to release.

I need a person to work with terrain. In WE and, perhaps, in Galaxy Editor, if the WE map turns out to be any good and sees any attention at all. But that's too far fetched now, I also heard Galaxy is too difficult to use.

For now, I just want islands to look either like proper geometrical figures or to look... you know, like islands. That's an absolute minimum I need from said person. I can try to do the rest myself, but I have same doubts when it comes to putting tree massives on map and setting up objects and small details to make a map alive, also about adding smaller islands further ahead. I would greatly appreciate if someone joins me on this project, someone with great terraining skills and understanding of how land massives should be designed and look.

Terrain is VERY important for my project. As you can see, I allow naval battles, and I need a map designed for both naval and land, and I want the sea to look pretty as well - to have smaller, assymmetric islands, some debris, sunken ships and etc. I've got lots of ideas in this regard, but no skills to make those look good.

If you can help me, I am sure we can release a great map. I will accept any terraining help - from ideas (map object types are still up to discussion) to the actual job. Just keep in mind I can't make your ideas work at this stage.

If it's something general - just write in topic. If you are interested to join - let me know via private message. And bump the topic anyway )

Thank you!

PS. I won't lie to you - there is almost nothing done right now. If you are a really cool terrain wizard, but want to see something done in terms of objects/triggers/etc to be sure you are not working with a person who will quit halfway - I can show you something at later stages, just let me know you are interested and I will do my best to deliver at least in object editor, so that you see I know my stuff as well.

Level 2
I'm taking this slow, but I'm staying on track. Continuing my attempts with terraining. I guess I know how to make it a bit better, for starters.

I still think someone with terraining experience will be vital for the project.
Thus, I will jump right onto object editor next and will take my time implementing factions one by one. Together with faction previews that I will post in this topic in time to hopefully pique someone's interest. This will also help me to polish each faction further by highlighting their strong sides.

Btw, evaluated how much work will triggers take, and it doesn't look scary at all, at least when it comes to initial release. Only need a terrain wizard, everything else I should handle.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.