• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

MDX MDL and BLP question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
I downloaded one of the skins etc it is a .mdx extension or whatever you want to call it and imported it was a skeleton peasant /worker I was going to use on the human peasant so I clicked on the peasant and started going through the list I cannot find a mdx file to replace the only thing I am finding with the word ART it says BLP not MDX were is the that says ART ?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
A Skin is just a retextured image using the .blp format. It isn't an .mdl/.mdx (Model). Skins replace the Texture used by an existing Model, in this case you're replacing the Human Peasant skin with a Skeleton Peasant skin.

You need to import the .blp files and use the correct paths in the import manager in order for your Peasant to have the Skeleton skin.

Models use the Import section. Notice how they're all .mdx files:
ex.png

Level 13
A Skin is just a retextured image using the .blp format. It isn't an .mdl/.mdx (Model). Skins replace the Texture used by an existing Model, in this case you're replacing the Human Peasant skin with a Skeleton Peasant skin.

You need to import the .blp files and use the correct paths in the import manager in order for your Peasant to have the Skeleton skin.

Models use the Impo
Capture.PNG
rt section. Notice how they're all .mdx files:
View attachment 395104
The skeleton is a mdx file I imported it it is showing in the import manager I opened object manager I found the peasant clicked on that the column on right doesn't match yours the column on the right the only thing that says art is a blp and I did find a mdl in there no mdx I know I am screwing up somehow but no clue and thanks for the help !

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Open the Object Editor, not the Object Manager. Then open the Model field like I did in my picture and you should see the Skeleton model. If the model is there but it's texture is missing then you messed up it's .blp name in the Asset Manager when you Imported it.

Also, if that's the Object Editor in your picture then you're in Raw data mode. Press Control + D to switch back to the normal view.

Last edited:
Level 13
Open the Object Editor, not the Object Manager. Then open the Model field like I did in my picture and you should see the Skeleton model. If the model is there but it's texture is missing then you messed up it's .blp name in the Asset Manager when you Imported it.

Also, if that's the Object Editor in your picture then you're in Raw data mode. Press Control + D to switch back to the normal view.
Going to bed but I found object manager but all it shows in the left is what is on the map I will work on it tomorrow

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Skins replace an existing texture. If you want to change the texture of a model you import the skin at the appropriate texture path for the model. If you want to use the skin as a new model while also keeping the old model around then you need to import an edited copy of the model which references the other skin's unique file path.

In Reforged it may be possible to texture swap units dynamically, removing the need for the duplicate model. I have no experience with this and it might not even work correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.