1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Mazing Contest v2.9

Submitted by Elvenking_slider
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Mazing Contest 2
Created by Pender / modified by Elvenking

This project has retired, check my Mazing Contest Ultra map as further updates will only happen there from now on.
You can still read this topic to understand the basics about mazing contest 2/XL/ultra as i didn't want to duplicate all the information in my new project.

Mazing Contest Ultra
Many things have improved and new game modes are available there, so make sure to check it out ;)

Map Info:

I had so much ideas on extra modes, so I created this version.
The layout is copied, but the triggers were partly rewritten by me.
In addition to the original version by Pender I made an huge bugfix to the thunderclap ability.
There were situations in "classic mazing contest" where the thunderclap did not cast/hit (top right corner),
since version 2.9 the ability will consistently hit around 250 distance.
Please read the overview of your settings after choosing a game mode!

Goal:

Depending on the mode you choose, you either have to get the longest, shortest or an given (expected) time with your maze.
In random mode you have to get the most points by reaching the individual goal each round.

Features:

Extra modes:
  • Speedtower: 1-3 towers are spawned which increase the speed of your runner.
    Reach the longest time and avoid or negate speedtowers.
  • Expect: Reach a given time between 5-32s with your maze (normal tower setup)
  • Speedrun: try to get the shortest time, 2-6 thunderclap and a lot of blocking towers will be in your path
  • Penalty: unspent ressources will give you a time penalty (more player resources).
    Gold -0.5s Lumber -3s
  • Healtower: Reach the longest time and do not let your runner die or he will be teleported to the exit.
    Under 50% HP your runner will be slowed by 45% because of heavy blood loss! (1-2 healtower are available each round)
  • Random: each round is randomly 1 of the 5 standard modes. Reach the individual goal and get the most points. Points are given according to your performance.
  • Custom: create your own setup
  • Infinite rounds: It is not really a game mode, but I want to metion this here too. In the game options you can select ? as rounds (total time mode).
    This means that the game has infinite rounds and will end if no player has build time left.
    The uniqueness of this option makes it to a "sub-mode" where you have to be as fast as possible in every mode.
Game options:
  • Rounds: Total number of rounds to play.
    ? means infinite rounds (only in total time mode).
  • Time: Building time you have. Can be set per round or as total time depending on the choosen time mode.
  • Time mode: You can choose between round time or total time.
    In round time mode every round has the same building time (constant).
    In total time mode every player has an own timer for building.
    It is important to end the round with the "ready" button in total time mode.
    If a player runs out of building time he has to wait until the game ends.
    Hint: In total time mode you can choose infinite rounds as extra option!
  • Fog: If enabled you can't look on other players while building (useful in some modes).
  • Selling: Enables selling of towers you have built (gold and lumber is refunded).
  • Tower bombs: If enabled you get randomly 0-2 tower bombs into the inventory of your builder, which allows you to destroy any tower in your maze.

Mentionable mechanics:

Thunderclap towers: Same as in classic mazing contest, just to compare it with the speedbuff tower,
this tower slows the runner by 50% for 5 sec with 5 sec cooldown.
Hint: Range and cooldown was taken from the "classic" version made by Pender.
Fans of this so called "mazing contest Final 1.x" will notice an increased difficulty to get more than 2 stomps, but this is how the towers used to work!
Speedbuff towers: This towers will increase your runners speed by 50% for 3 sec with a cooldown of 5 sec.
The range of their ability is the same as the thunderclap towers slow.
Healtowers: This towers cast rejuvenation on nearby runners to fully heal them after 1 sec (also removing the slow effect). The range of this ability is exactly the same as thunderclap or speedtowers.
The cooldown of the heal is 5 sec. You wanna place the healtowers to maximize the slow duration of blood loss, just keep in mind that it heals 1 sec delayed!

Hint: The speed and the slow debuff are of the same kind, they will negate each other.
This is really helpful while building your maze, so you can place a thunderclap tower beside a
speedbuff tower and it will revert the acceleration/slow.

I added a lot of customisability in this map with the extra game options after selecting the mode.
The game will automatically restart after 15 sec and you can choose a new mode to play.

Some else stuff about map:

The name "mazing contest 2" may be a little bit confusing, because I don't intend it to be a sequel.
Its rather an altered version, but I did not come up with a better name than version 2.
Something like "mazing contest modified" sounds strange and a completely new name does also not
fit (or nobody will play it xD).

The old intro with an example maze was removed and i implemented a short overview of the choosen settings.
I think that everyone, who plays this map will know about mazing contest, so showing the towers and some information to each mode suits better as intro.
To get a proper replay mechanism, I also removed the longest maze stuff at the end.

Screenshots

Terrain Screenshots

Overview of whole map:
[​IMG]

Overview of whole map 2.8-1ptr for 24 players:
[​IMG]
Gameplay Screenshots

Mode selection
[​IMG]

Game options (round time mode)
[​IMG]

Game options (total time mode)
[​IMG]

Normal mode
[​IMG]

Speedtower mode
[​IMG]

Expect mode
[​IMG]

Speedrun mode
[​IMG]

Penalty mode
[​IMG]

Healtower mode
[​IMG]

Gameplay video:
Thanks to WTII for testing the 24 player version of this map (version 2.8-3).

Change Log:

Change Log

Version: 2.0

• new game modes
  • replay after 10 rounds
  • ready button to start rounds faster

Version: 2.1

• reduced start timer to 10 sec
  • changed thunderclap tower count in speedrun mode to 0-6
  • increased normal tower rate in speedrun mode
  • changed speedtower count in speedtower mode to 0-4

Version: 2.2

• added map information to Quests(F9)
  • updated loadscreen description

Version: 2.3

• Some changes to speedrun and speedtower mode to make them more unique

Version: 2.4

• Added game options dialog (appears after selecting mode)
  • Option to change rounds (5/10/15/20)
  • Option to change build time (0:30/0:45/1:00/1:15)

Version: 2.5

• Added fog of war option (if enabled you can't look on other players while building)
  • 2.51: fixed bug with fog of war not working at all
  • 2.52: fixed bug with fog of war being disabled after restart
  • 2.53: Improved speedrun mode: added algorithm to always spawn towers in middle

Version: 2.6

• 2.6(alpha): Added random mode: Every round is one of the 5 "standard" modes
  • 2.6(alpha): Added new multiboard for random mode (point system)
  • 2.6(alpha): Added time mode option
  • 2.6(alpha): Round time mode is "old" system with constant build time each round
  • 2.6(alpha): Total time mode gives every player an own build timer
  • Added infinite rounds mode for total time option.
  • Fixed multiboard in random mode
  • Multiple fixes for total time mode to get it properly working.
  • Added better description of modes and options in quest menu

Version: 2.7

• Fixed bug concerning left players causing to be rank 1 in scores
  • Fixed bug which made the last round not affect the final ranks
  • 2.7ptr: Updated the whole map to support 24 players

Version: 2.8

• Some minor terrain changes
  • Added game option for selling
  • Added game option for tower bombs
  • Added build timer warnings for 15 and 5 seconds remaining
  • Builders are getting teleported back to their location in all modes now
  • 2.8ptr: changes were adopted here too

Version: 2.8-1

• Major bugfix with tower bombs. Every unused spot spawned 1 item somewhere on the map.
  • Increased probability to get a tower bomb with this option (50% up to 75% to get one)
  • 2.8-1ptr: Adopted changes. Multiple terrain changes (beaches looked ugly and some small stuff)

Version: 2.8-2

• added a small visual indicator to tower bombs, so you can see each others ideas
  • removed death animation of tower bombs so it doesn't block fast building (added a different explotion instead)
  • changed hotkey for ready button to R (was on B for eng clients and therefore not useable
  • first "real" bugfix in any game mechanics. Maybe some explanation first: There are basically 2 major bugs in mazing contest since it release (e.g v1.2 has this bugs too). Here are 2 scenarios bug 1: https://i.imgur.com/8ANQO2y.jpg bug 2: https://i.imgur.com/rakBIjx.jpg. I was finally able to fix the bug 1, so you won't have to build a tower on that X to make the clap trigger. Regarding bug 2 i did not come up with any solution yet. Still these are no new bugs and classic mazing contest has them too!

Version: 2.8-3

• set hotkey for speedtower to G (it's more pleasant to build with B,G,T buttons)
  • fixed bug 2 with an algorithm to always stun in exactly 45 degree (top right corner) of a thunderclap tower.
  • fixed bug that tower bomb indicators didn't despawn after the last round and persisted forever if you restart the game.
  • 2.8-3ptr: updated with all changes

Version: 2.9

• added new game mode healtower (+description in quests menu)
  • added a huge bugfix to the targeting mechanic of all special towers (thunderclap, speedbuff, healing). These towers will hit now consistent from every angle in 250 distance.
  • removed lot's of useless code from former attempts to fix this.
  • added -cam option and fix to save distance after round end (bug in XL version)
  • added 2 new abilities to the builder unit for zoom in and zoom out
  • all players are now allied, these should hopefully fix the issue that not everyone can read the standard ally chat (people usually don't press shit+enter to chat in all)

Credits:

Thanks to everyone who played my maps, you motivated me to implement more features :).

Thanks to Peppolino my reliable friend who always plays mazing contest with me and tested like every version.

Thanks to Sexytime. and his clan IBCE for playing my maps very often and helping me with bugs and suggestions.

Thanks to CRAZYRUSSIAN, I used your zoom in and zoom out buttons icon in my map (Btncrzoomin, Btncrzoomout).

Special Thanks:

Creator of mazing contest PENDER for the best map ever made!
Previews
Contents

Mazing Contest v2.9 (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Please provide Pender's approval of you modifying and uploading his map. Awaiting Update. ========================================================================== Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules) A credits...
Eat_Bacon_Daily
I really love what you've done with the game man, though it isn't perfect yet. Iv'e only tried 2 modes so far Speedrun This mode has a lot of potential, but right now it is lacking. Most rounds are just build your speed towers in a straight line and...
deepstrasz
I guess this will be overlooked until the original author has something to say about it. It's a nicely done game. It could be better if you could make the terrain more appealing. Information about the game(play) is required in the Quest Log. Who made...
  1. Slayer11111

Slayer11111

Resources:
    Resources:
    I was just thinking about this game, and you uploaded it for me to find 30 minutes ago. God bless you sir

2. Eat_Bacon_Daily

Eat_Bacon_Daily

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oh interesting idea, I always thought about making a fastest time version of this, but i couldn't think of a way to make it feasible. Your idea of making gold left over grant a penalty seems like a good way to do it. My friends and I love the original mazing contest, I will def give yours a try and come back with a review :)

3. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Please provide Pender's approval of you modifying and uploading his map.

Awaiting Update.

==========================================================================

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

A credits list is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated.

A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.

To make your work run smoother, fix the so called leaks: Triggers - Memory Leaks and Custom Scripts

If you want more reviews, come here:
    The Grand Review Exchange!

4. Eat_Bacon_Daily

Eat_Bacon_Daily

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I really love what you've done with the game man, though it isn't perfect yet.

Iv'e only tried 2 modes so far

Speedrun
    This mode has a lot of potential, but right now it is lacking. Most rounds are just build your speed towers in a straight line and just spend your remaining gold on the edges. But once in a while you get some really interesting setups. We had one that made you chose one of two paths and had stomper/slower in the end. So basically the smart thing to do was chose a path where you can force the stomper/slower to hit the runner first and the get immediatly followed by your speeder tower. I liked these kind of puzzle like elements. There were other interesting ones too, but I forget, The dynamic of stompers negating speeders and vice versa is really cool. I think you need to find a way to cut out those straight line levels in this mode. Perhaps increase the spawn rate of towers specifically in the middle area so you have to pick 1 of two paths and maybe increase the amount of stompers/slowers to have more strategy.

Penalty
    I don't have as much to say for this mode. It is a nice twist on the basic mode. I enjoyed the freshness of being able to play a mode like that, after playing the basic mode for so many years.

General Notes
    -Love the ready up system, to make rounds go faster
    -I like the quick tutorial explanations for every mode, but I wish there was a way to make to skip them or to make the game start faster, the wait is mildly annoying
    -I wish there was some round duration option, like in the original

Anyways I really love what you did with the map. It likely going to be my new go-to mazing contest version. Hope you address the issues and hope to see more updates. You've got a fan :)

5. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I guess this will be overlooked until the original author has something to say about it.

It's a nicely done game. It could be better if you could make the terrain more appealing.
    Information about the game(play) is required in the Quest Log.
    Who made the Runner Model? Credit that person.

Would be really neat to have more types of towers.

Awaiting Update.

6. Elvenking_slider

Elvenking_slider

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I sent the author a mail, but the original map is nearly 10 years old, so maybe the adress is no longer used.
    I don't intend to steal his map, i even recommend in the loadscreen to play the original...

Regarding your other points:
    -I tried to keep the map in the same state as the original so fans are not irritated from new terrain.

-Some information will be added to the Quest Log (which is empty in the original).

-I don't know how to find the author of the runner model, it must be assumed that pender created it.
    In the import manager its just called "Acolyte~.mdx".

-More towers would be nice, but it should fit in the mazing contest setting.
    I don't really have good ideas that won't make it too complex.
    Maybe I can refer to penders statement at this point: Minigame - Mazing Contest: need advice
    "I want the game pieces to be simple and easy to understand,
    and I'm not sure more kinds of towers would add enough to the gameplay to justify the additional complexity.
    "

-----------

@Eat_Bacon_Daily: I did not focus much on the speedrun mode, but now i made some improvements^^.
    Try out expect , its in my opinion the best mode :D.
    You can change the round duration in the custom mode option
    (all modes except speedrun can be set there and i think you dont need more time for speedrun^^).

7. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Rules changed.

Approved.

8. Eat_Bacon_Daily

Eat_Bacon_Daily

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Cool to see some new updates, this is still my go-to Mazing Contest version, I hope you keep improving it!

9. Elvenking_slider

Elvenking_slider

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thank you, but this update is just old stuff i never uploaded. Problem was that speedrun and speedtower had a chance to spawn no special tower, which made some level rather boring.

EDIT: removed all the stuff written here.
    I am currently working on this map and will release following features step by step after finishing them:
    -Game option dialog DONE
    -Fog of war option to hide other players while building DONE
    -Points system option as alternative to the standart score system DONE (random mode)
    -Mini mode option (special mode with smaller buildings) DONE (XL version kinda reflects this idea)
    -further improvements on speedrun mode to avoid "boring" levels DONE

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  10. Elvenking_slider

Elvenking_slider

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Please don't use tower bombs in version 2.8 there is a major bug which spawns them somewhere on the map.
    With version 2.8-1 everything is fixed now, also I increased the probability to get some.