• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Max item tooltip length

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
One thing I've been sort of struggling with for quite a while is the max item tooltip length. It seems to be the only tooltip that gets truncated and it only happens when a unit is carrying it and you mouse over it in their inventory. All other tooltips I have messed around with seem to work with any length I happen to use.

Is there any way around it or do I have to just word my item tooltips so that they fit? It gets really annoying if I want to describe a complicated effect lol.

Level 12
Sorry. I just want to know if there is some way to bypass the character limit or at least maybe what the character limit is. Do colour codes count towards the limit?

Thanks.

Level 12
There is no known way for a normal map to extend the limit.
Color codes and all other command chars do count.

Level 12
It's only for items in the inventory. Every other tooltip works fine. Even the item tooltips in the shops work fine, but then a unit has it and it cuts off.

Item tooltips are pretty limited.

Remember that color codes or any other "invisible commands" do count into your tooltip length, so it might be a good idea to get rid of some color codes if you are starving for space.

You can also use the <...> expressions to access data fields in tooltips directly. I'm not sure if that allows to circumvent the max tooltip length.

Level 12
Oh I know of those ones. Those are the default Blizzard ones. They're the ones I am using. I am wondering the same thing as you.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Those are both 13 characters long (if you count the space as well).

Aye, I see that now. My theory was based on how it works on the forum.
Color 1
Color 2
[color=#ffcc00]Color 1[/color]
[color=#FFFF00]Color 2[/color]

However I did not know you could remove 3 characters from the one wc3 use as well, which makes makes it even no mater what sadly. So yeah, I was wrong at more than one point.

Status
Not open for further replies.